Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Religious education in school...

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Aladdin

You are right that neither Creation nor Evolution has been proven. I wouldn't go as far as saying Evolution will never be proven. I think you will find out that what we know already proves it to be 99% certain. Only some people choose to grasp the 1% uncertainty. I frankly find it astonishing that anyone who has not been brainwashed could possibly give Creationism a second thought.

me thinks your brainwashing is showing through aladin!
    eveolution theory states that life evolved by chance and very slowly. there should be the evidence of a slow build up of life. there is exactly the opposite. all the evidence points to an almost instant explosion of life. not just any old haphazard collection of mistakes and also rans but plants and creatures in all their full blown glory. the theory of evolution is going through a serious crisis becuase of this. it is taught as fact, as sciencetyiffic fact ... but if any other branch of science were taught so blindly you'd be up in arms.
    all the evidence points to the fact that lions have always been lions. moths have always been moths. same with every living organism there is. they just appear on the earth suddenly and very little change has ever taken place in any of them. there is no evidence that any creature developed from another ...the evidence seems to point in exactly the opposite direction!
    the fittest lion may survive the bestest but at the end of the day it remains a lion.
  • Options
    so long as they don't try to lecture others and dictate their lives.

*ahem* isnt that what you are doing now?

As for RE , I have studied it all the way so far , and its bloody interesting.

I think children should be brought up in a religious way , after all , most kids are pretty smart , they can make their own mind up when they are sufficiently old and mature enough.

Why are you so scared of religion Aladdin? The Church is not an evil organisation , it doesnt pin kids eyes open and indoctrinate them Clockwork Orange style.
  • Options
    It doesn't need to, does it? A few years of teachings from an early age and the damage is done.

I am by no means scared of religion Mat. I am disgusted by its historical manipulation of people and for being the source of more hatred, evil, wars, suffering and prejudice than anything else in human history.

You say people should be able to make their minds up once they are mature enough. Do you really think most of them can? I don't. Evidence seems to point to the contrary. In any case, why not do the opposite then? Teach children a history of world religions, without telling them any particular faith is the true one, and once they reach adulthood ask them to embrace any of the faiths they have learnt about if they wish to do so.

I suspect not many people at all would choose to believe that a bearded chap who lives on the clouds got up one morning some 5,000 years ago and created the earth and all creatures on it.

Mr Roll,

The theory of evolution does indeed have holes in it. We still cannot explain certain things, but that does not mean that the theory is unworkable. It is still the most probable theory ever put forward, and about 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 times more plausible than Creationism. I strongly object to children being taught Creationism just as I would object to children being taught the earth is flat or that the moon is made of cheese.
  • Options
    aladin i agree with you about the wars the evils etc being perpetrated by religion. religion is totaly corrupt.
    but the issue of evolution ...you stated that we are 99% sure that all the evidence points to evolution when in fact 99% of the evidence does point to an amzing creative event.
    the theory of evolution is a serious con that is being teached to the kids as fact.
  • Options
    Perhaps I got carried away by my 99% assessment... but I hope you're not suggesting there are grounds of any kind to suggest God created all creatures one fine morning. Even if there is or was a superior being and even if that being created some life at some point in time, fossils, studies and records show countless species who have evolved from lesser forms, us being one example of course.

I don't know if Evolution is being taught as fact at schools. Perhaps should be taught as the most plausible theory we have. But Creation shouldn't.

A bit off topic, but if anyone here believes in Creationism I'd like to hear their thoughts on the tale of Noah's Ark. Do they believe the good old man managed to get a couple of each species in the Ark, thus preserving animal life on earth?
  • Options
    fossils, studies and records show countless species who have evolved from lesser forms, us being one example of course.

wrong mate ...there are millions of fossils available for examination but none of them show one single creature in a transitionary phase. all skulls have two eyes set in the right place for stereoscopic vision. same with ears. same with every working part. there are no accidents as in this chemical, accidental, unthought out accident producing one eye, one ear etc. everything is always RIGHT. there should be millions of attempts at making eyes and eye sockets ...until eventualy this accidental mixing of chemicals accidently gets everything in the best place. the fossil record is the biggest problem for evolutionists. it doesn't show them what they want to see.
    what it shows is a sudden appearance of life in all its fully fledged and fully working order models ...exactly what creation would provide.
    i'm going to dig out some stuff to prove my point ...evolutionary theory is the biggest hoax ever!
    don't know about the guy in the boat mate.
  • Options
    I am by no means scared of religion Mat. I am disgusted by its historical manipulation of people and for being the source of more hatred, evil, wars, suffering and prejudice than anything else in human history

Religion is not at fault , there is no major religion that advocates hate for any other faith.

The problem lies with the men who practice the religion.

I suspect not many people at all would choose to believe that a bearded chap who lives on the clouds got up one morning some 5,000 years ago and created the earth and all creatures on it.

By saying that you show your complete lack of understanding of religious creation beliefs.
  • Options
    Aladdin, you're stating that it might be possible that neither the 6 day creation or the evolution might be completely true. Yet you're against the creation being taught in school, and for the evolution theory.

Talk about double standards.

I was taught about both in school. And at the moment it seems as if the open mind of yours which you're so proud of, isn't that open after all.
  • Options
    I believe in Creationism as a metaphor for evolution- am I "mentally disabled". Because the Bible is all metaphor, "40 days and 40 nights" just means a long time for instance. Think about it- each of the "6 days" corresponds to an evolutionary phase. Though to believe one theory thats hasnt been proved is ridiculous- unless youre telling me Vernon Kay is the missing link.

But about "multi-ethnicity"- most people in this country are baptised Christian, and I believe that this country should remain Christian, but that one religion other another should not be taught in schools. Why should we bend over backwards to accomodate all faiths when they chose to come here in teh first place- Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism are not traditionally British. And, as Ive said before, if I went to live in Pakistan I wouldnt demand the Pakistanis to build me my church, and pay me to attract people to it, and I wouldnt expect it to happen. Though i would expect to be treated with respect, providing I respect their culture.
  • Options
    Let me put it this way: who believes here that the human race descends from a single couple that was created by God? And do you think it is fair children are being taught this is actually how the human race came to be?

I hope none of those who don't have a problem with it will object if their children are taught the earth is flat, children come from Paris or masturbation is a sin what will see you go to hell and suffer for all eternity.
  • Options
    Let me put it this way: who believes here that the human race descends from a single couple that was created by God? And do you think it is fair children are being taught this is actually how the human race came to be?

I hope none of those who don't have a problem with it will object if their children are taught the earth is flat, children come from Paris or masturbation is a sin what will see you go to hell and suffer for all eternity.

It has been proven that the earth is not flat. It has not been proven that everyone does not come from one couple.

Thats all there is to it really. When you prove that humans dont come from Adam and Eve then get back to me.
  • Options
    Let me put it this way: who believes here that the human race descends from a single couple that was created by God?
    Me :) To an extent...
  • Options

the fact is that in the book of job written around for and a half thousand years ago it states that the globe of the earth is hanging on nothing ....when greek culture was the thing and they actualy believed the terry pratchet version of elephants and turtle ...disc world! realy.
    so the ignorant bible writers seemed not to be so ignorant.
  • Options
    The Bible has hundreds of thousands of 'facts' by hundreds of different hands. For every right fact there are a few wrong ones. And earth's phenomena and historical events are recorded in the Bible; only it's twisted a bit so it seems it was an act of God.

Don't tell me you believe there was a Flood that covered the entire earth and in which all land creatures were killed apart from those lucky ones 'invited' to a cruise aboard P & O Noah's Ark.

Or that the thousands of languages in existence in the world are the result of God getting pissed off at men building the Tower of Babel and confusing them by giving them different languages.

Or that the earth is only a few thousand years old.

Etc etc ad nauseam.

FAO Kermit: It hasn’t been proven either that the Moon is not made of cheese under the surface. Until this is proven to us all I hope you will accept graciously my claims that the Moon is made of cheese.
  • Options
    Or that the earth is only a few thousand years old.

do you mean life on earth?

i am finding the facts on this.

working on the rate of genetic mutations/development and the world's population today. if you regress to a point where genes cannot regress any further - ie only 2 sources in terms of time this is only between 3000 and 5000 years ago.

therefore genetic science supports that human life has only existed on earth for between 3 and 5 thousands years.
  • Options
    Well I was actually referring to the life of the planet itself, which some religions claim it to be 5,000 years old or so.

But then I'd imagine the same religions would claim man was created immediately or shortly after the earth, so the same people would claim mankind to be 5,000 years old or so as well.

In any case, it has been proven beyond doubt that mankind itself is tens or hundreds of thousands of years old- depending on when does one believe men ceased to be apes and became human.
  • Options

'invited' to a cruise aboard P & Noah's Ark.

PMSL aladin!