Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

A simple act of kindness

One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 608 Incredible Poster
Hi guys I would just like to share with you something that happened today that really made me smile.

I finished work early and decided to go for some dinner in Asda cafe.

While eating I had a mild seziure as I call them funny turns. This is to do with me epilepsy. Now when I have one I am aware of them and it's normally an anxiety feeling followed by feeling spaced out and numbing in some part of my body. but sometimes I become confused (don't know what I'm doing and/or how to do it and sometimes forget where I am.) My speech is also affected sometimes and I stutter.

Most of the time people will give me funny looks, seem afraid of me, think I'm crazy or weird and just ignore it.

As I said I had one while eating my dinner and became a little confused. I was aweare of what was happening but I kept looking round to familiarise myself to my surroundings again. I had a few funny looks from people until a woman who had just come in called over to me asking if I was ok. I immediately came out of my confused state and was able to speak to her although my speach was a bit funny. I told her I was fine and that I had just had a little seziure. She was really understanding and asked if there was anything I needed. I was so touched because while I've been having these funny turns for years I was only diagnosed in April last year. I reassured her I was fine and said that I would stay where I was a few minutes until I was sure it had passed.

I couldn't thank her enough it was so reassuring to hear a friendly voice instead of getting disapproving stares from the others. I told her she was the first person ever to ask if I was ok. She said she just saw that I looked a bit distressed and wanted to ensure I was ok. It was really lovely to hear that. She asked if I would be ok getting around or if I needed a lift home to which I politely declined the offer. She sat down at a table opposite me with her child and told me how she had, had a stroke and while she's not epileptic had a few absences. I was really moved by what she did for me.

When I worked on a till (not in asda.) I had a customer and had one of these seziures while serving him. I became anxious and started slurring my words and stuttering, while trying to handle his change I had a moment where I didn't know what I was doing and why. I do however remember him rolling his eyes and sighing before shaking his head at me and exiting the shop.

This women's simple "are you ok" really made My day :)

She even said " It doesn't take long to check if someone is ok"

;)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,875,648 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Aw that's so lovely that the woman cared so much. Thank you for sharing this @One-in-a-million - it has made me smile too. :)
  • LostsenseLostsense Posts: 1,329 Wise Owl
    A simple act of kindness does go a long way just like you making a thread especially for me😍

No-one has ever done anything like that for me before.
  • One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 608 Incredible Poster
    Glad this has made you smile as much as it did me. It honestly meant so much to hear just to hear someone say "are you ok" she didn't have to. She could have simply ignored it or give me a funny look like some of the others. But for someone who doesn't know me or about me to show a little kindness meant alot. To be fair the way I go when I'm having one. I could have been anyone and ift was nice to see a stranger do that for someone. :)
  • One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 608 Incredible Poster
    Steph95 wrote: »
    A simple act of kindness does go a long way just like you making a thread especially for me😍

No-one has ever done anything like that for me before.

Im so glad you agree Steph and I'm so happy my thred means ao much to you. It's lovely to see gow happy it's made you
  • LostsenseLostsense Posts: 1,329 Wise Owl
    💙💚