Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The other side of the immigration debate

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/from_our_own_correspondent/3117379.stm

Another story last year showed how one Italian village were actively calling for immigrants to move in. They realised that young immigrant families which tended to be larger than Western European standards could provide the lifeblood and future tax revenues to help sustain their region in the future.

Interesting to see that despite all the right-wing scare tactics about migration into this country, our economy continues to have one of the best performances in Western Europe.

Also worth thinking about is the differences in the regional economies of regions/cities like the South-East, West Midlands, Cardiff, Bristol compared to the North East, Scotland, Cornwall and Devon. The first group have had continued migration for years and are thriving and growing in comparison to the static and often depressed economies of the second.

Does make one wonder about the real reasons for the dispersal programme for asylum seekers.

Comments

• Options
    I don't think the reason why the North East is poorer than the South East is generally down to a lower birth rate.

Some have criticised past governments for over emphasing on the South East.
  • Options
    The UK is going backwards not growing. Yes the population is growing but the services are going backwards, at this point we don't need more people in the country clogging up all these services.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Skeeter Thompson
    The UK is going backwards not growing. Yes the population is growing but the services are going backwards, at this point we don't need more people in the country clogging up all these services.

If the public services are going backwards its the fault of politicians alone, they can be improved. Immigration is just used as a smokescreen for political ineptitude.
  • Options
    If the services are clogging up is not because (Edited out as Black Arab beat me to it.)

As it was proven first with the African/Caribbean community and then with the Asian community, immigrants make a good contribution to this country and are often prepared to work harder than the native population.

The same old tired arguments about Britain being flooded with immigrants and the country collapsing or losing its identity were being voiced when the African/Caribbean and Asian immigrants arrived during the 1950s & 1960s. It proved to be a load of bollocks then, and it will prove to be a load of bollocks now.
  • Options
    Of course its the fault of the politicians, i never said otherwise.

Putting extra strain on it is hardly going to improve it any time soon.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    The same old tired arguments about Britain being flooded with immigrants and the country collapsing or losing its identity were being voiced when the African/Caribbean and Asian immigrants arrived during the 1950s & 1960s. It proved to be a load of bollocks then, and it will prove to be a load of bollocks now.

I agree with you there. *cough*Enoch Powell! *cough*
  • Options
    Originally posted by monocrat
    I don't think the reason why the North East is poorer than the South East is generally down to a lower birth rate.

Some have criticised past governments for over emphasing on the South East.

Fair comment but its also been pointed out that migrants are underpinning the economy of the South East. Also newcomers will always stimulate a need for more goods and services.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Skeeter Thompson
    Of course its the fault of the politicians, i never said otherwise.

Putting extra strain on it is hardly going to improve it any time soon.

What extra strain? Our health and education services are desperately trying to recruit abroad to improve things. Also you have to remember the amount of people emigrating from this country balances out things.
  • Options
    Also you have to remember the amount of people emigrating from this country balances out things

not true, net inflow for 2001 was 172k

If i were an italian village, i'd be a bit fussy who i encouraged ithere, its quintessential charm might just disappear
    immigrants make a good contribution to this country and are often prepared to work harder than the native population.

Some immigrants do, some don't and are a relative burden on the UK
  • Options
    The last census showed 1 million people had left the UK without offical notification to the authorities, thereby affecting official figures.

Regarding the italian villagers I think there more concerned with the tax revenues and the villages dissappearing without being overly fussy. The reality is being indigenous doesn't make one automatically good or productive anymore than being a migrant makes one the opposite.
  • Options
    I'd assume there to be a lot of unrecorded illegal immigrants, asylum seekers who've vanished, that Im Brits was a speculative figure as I recall

Maybe Italins should close non-viable villages and concentrate their resourced in towns/cities

italy + Spain have puzzlyingly low birth-rates given their supposed love of children
  • Options
    Originally posted by solo
    I'd assume there to be a lot of unrecorded illegal immigrants, asylum seekers who've vanished, that Im Brits was a speculative figure as I recall

Maybe Italins should close non-viable villages and concentrate their resourced in towns/cities

italy + Spain have puzzlyingly low birth-rates given their supposed love of children

The 1 million figure was established from the official census. I agree there are unrecorded illegal immigrants but due to them not being recorded or ineffective immigration controls its a guess to how many.

Can you imagine telling any villagers to move out to the cities because they are non-viable in this country, the politician that attempted that one would be lynched. It's not going to happen and shouldn't have to.

Low birth rates are the products of a modern western society, people want more disposable income, consumer goods etc Women are more equal these days and don't necessarily wish to be baby machines without having the choice of a career.

And nobody wants to pick the cabbages, sweep the floors, flip the burgers or nurse the old people so who's gonna do it?
  • Options
    Can you imagine telling any villagers to move out to the cities because they are non-viable in this country

The situation hasn't arisen AFAIK but old people get lilttle real choice in their circumstances in UK. iff hteres no valid infra-structure due to de-population, should Govt provide it?
  • Options
    I believe that if the villagers request it and it would benefit everyone then yes. I don't agree with people being dumped on areas where they do not want to be and they are resented.

Governments all over the world see the value of attracting migrants where necessary, there is an article in my local paper, where an agency has won a contract to recruit British nurses to go to Austrailia, meanwhile our hospitals are once again targetting other countries nurses to fill vacancies.

If it means the country benefits, migration is a good thing surely.
  • Options
    There was a delegation from some African countries complaining to the UK that's its recruitment of their nurses was seriously impacting on their health services. Its true, maybe UK should make essential jobs more attractive native brits and dissuade them from their pschology = media studies. Fat chance of that, though, market rules in everything
  • Options
    Its a vicious circle, the African countries lose trained medical staff, services deterioate hey presto! illegal immigrants turning up to use ours only to be nursed by African medical staff.

If you think thats crazy, a big reason the health service has financial problems is due to it having to hire its own staff from agencies at higher rates than its allowed to pay them.

The worlds gone mad I tell ya!