Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Student account query

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi all,

If I plan to do a HNC course this September, does that mean I can open a student account now? Or do I have to wait a year later until HND/uni? Thanks in advance.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Hey hunny,
    You can get one with any course 2 years plus. HNC's are fine. Go out and search.

I took a gap year and am stuck between £60 at Natwest or HSBC 5 year rail card!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kat
    I took a gap year and am stuck between £60 at Natwest or HSBC 5 year rail card!
    Look at the wider picture. What benefits can you get? Are their branches near to campus? Do they have student advisors? What overdraft facilities are there?
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    Look at the wider picture. What benefits can you get? Are their branches near to campus? Do they have student advisors? What overdraft facilities are there?

yeah i was well pissed off when i was choosing my bank account. i went round all my local branches at home and asked them all if they had any branches near to my uni. none of them said they did and then when i got there i found out there's a Royal Bank of Scotland right on campus! All the other banks are in town, which is 8 miles away. I ended up going with Natwest but I really wish RBS had told me that, I would have gone with them!
  • Options
    I chose mine by gettign all the info and garbage from the banks and smaller banks tooo. (i even looked at Clydesdale)

I wanted a bank which i didn't have much to do with before. this is so if i get a bad name (i shouldn't do) then i can run away and never go back....lol

I wanted an overdraft but not going to use it but i wanted it there just to cover say....my loan going in later etc..

You then get two options; Interest or Free Gift. I use other banks and building socities and decided to split my money off so i'd only spend out of my student account. So for this reason i needed a switch card......without hassle. I choose the gift as im not planning to keep cash there! *ADVICE* Mini Cash ISAs etc.. are better.

Anyway after long consideration (i truely am sad), lookign at grad accounts but you can't rely on them being there or the same in 3 years time, i had another chat with HSBC and Natwest and well i opted for cash.

Plus Natwest have been great to me and i might be workign in my union branch-sad eh????
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • Options
    UPDATE!!!

Don't go with Natwest. The branch manager told me i would get £60 but it's only £40 this year so she lied to me!!!

Now going with HSBC!!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kat
    UPDATE!!!

Don't go with Natwest. The branch manager told me i would get £60 but it's only £40 this year so she lied to me!!!

Now going with HSBC!!!

their overdraft and credit card facilities are pretty good though. but then again I know nothing about other banks so can't really compare!
  • Options
    It's more to do with the fact they lied to me. I don't need a lying bank now do i? (*cough* even if i do work for them- a lying colleagues even worse)
  • Options
    Natwest is a right bugger, specially when it comes to being overdrawn.

There's no HSBC in sight either.
  • Options
    You honestly need to take the best one for you!! Check them out. Kate x
  • Options
  • Options
    Go with Bank Of Scotland..you get £100 overdraft interest free, might I add ;) as soon as you join, switch card, savings account, the works..

And, you get like, a discount book thingie too.
  • Options
    Royal Bank Of Scotland? There's millions in Glasgow, just what I need.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kat
    Student Bank Accounts
    Cheers Kate :)!
  • Options
    I work for the royal bank of scotland group...... mmmmmmm so well i wont give by biased opinion!!!
  • Options
    I thought you worked for Natwest?

Convince me to go to Royal Bank Of Scotland ;)!
  • Options
    and about 12 other companies.

Sayign that go to RBS just as i'll get a bigger profit share :D
  • Options
    LOL!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kat
    It's more to do with the fact they lied to me. I don't need a lying bank now do i? (*cough* even if i do work for them- a lying colleagues even worse)

Yeah but that was before the student package was sorted that you were told that. They can't help it being decided on lower in the long run.

Anyways I'm going with nat west. I like my account with hsbc, but the overdraft is larger with nat west so there we go. This way I get my hsbc overdraft as well (although there aint much left of that :-/)hehe!

And trust me student loans don't go far at all. I've been there, not looking forward to going back now I'm used to living with cash, although the past 4 weeks have been good practice since I aint had a job.
  • Options
    Actaully she rang Head Office twice and the package was released that day! so i can blame them. Afterall shit employer!!! lol
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kat
    Actaully she rang Head Office twice and the package was released that day! so i can blame them. Afterall shit employer!!! lol

But that link ya put up earlier says that it's 40 from any branch but if it's a stuident branch then it's 60 quid so they weren't lying completely.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kazbo
    But that link ya put up earlier says that it's 40 from any branch but if it's a stuident branch then it's 60 quid so they weren't lying completely.

Yes but i told her i was at sheffield and she said id definately get £60.

So in my opinion she was! Plus i know what thye're like!