Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Indigestion Issues

apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
Hi, so I am really unsure whether to mention these issues to my doctor, as I'm worried they will think I'm at it- as I'm always at NHS/GP appointments for my mental health, plus I've fractured and then re-fractured my foot (hence been using the NHS a lot recently).

Firstly last year I had issues with indigestion and heartburn (this was very early on and before I even saw a GP about mental health issues) - I got it every day and had it almost all the time constantly for a month. So I went to GP and he prescribed me a course of omoprazole and said I have excess stomach acid. Well that drug was a bit annoying getting used to and coming off but eventually all my issues ended.

But recently I've been having issues with indigestion again, and the other day I bent down and brought up a lot (not just a little bit) of stomach acid (sorry if thats too much info), and my stomach feels a bit tender and sore sometimes (but not agony as its just a niggly achy pain). I'm getting indigestion frequently again.

Now I don't now if my citalopram (antidepressant) causes issues with the stomach. Also, I've been avoiding ibuprofen since starting my anti-depressants as the leaflet says "contact your pharmacist or doctor before using" (and other brands of my same med have said avoid it??). But re-fractured foot and the A&E nurse said I can take it (I even mentioned about my citalopram) , so I had been taking ibuprofen for approx 2 and a half weeks and I've now stopped as pain has settled (and will avoid again).

Also due to my MH struggles I binge eat (sometimes) for comfort, so maybe its self inflicted :( but I don't binge eat 24/7, its only when things get too much mentally.

Right I know this may sound confusing, but after looking online I thing this issues may also be linked to my stomach...... I've also been having really think mucus in my throat (sorry I know its disgusting) for about a month now, as like constantly it gets stuck in my throat, I can't swallow it so have to spit it out. As when I don't I normally start coughing a lot. Quite a lot my breathing sounds a bit and feels weird beforehand (not my actually breathing ability, its just i hear a noise in my throat,I think its the mucus). I don't have the cold right now either. Also my sinuses sometimes go weird.....like funnily enough right now I feel pressure in my ears (its annoying). The reason I mention this in this thread, is I looked online and thick mucus can be a sign of indigestion issues (to like protect your throat from excess acid).

Now I know this is a lot, and I'm not sure whether to say to the doctor.....I don't want to keep going unnecessarily as I'm always at the doctor, also I don't want them thinking I'm attention seeking. What should I do?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey apandav,

Sorry to hear you've been struggling with your health lately. Although it isn't attention seeking at all - you've been experiencing symptoms and do have a right to see a doctor about it; better to have it checked out than leave it altogether :yes:

It sounds like it's been going on for a while - has anything changed since you posted?
  • Options
    raich wrote: »
    Hey apandav,

Sorry to hear you've been struggling with your health lately. Although it isn't attention seeking at all - you've been experiencing symptoms and do have a right to see a doctor about it; better to have it checked out than leave it altogether :yes:

It sounds like it's been going on for a while - has anything changed since you posted?

Thanks for your reply!

I'm going to wait it out for a bit, and I'll go back to the doctors if it continues. The last time my indigestion was more consistent- every single morning and it started to get worse. Now I'm getting issues quite a bit but I wouldn't say at a consistent time- last night I felt very nauseous and am still getting acid reflux.

I felt so sick last night I wanted to take an indigestion tablet but don't think I'm allowed them on my meds :/

Will see how the next week or so goes......it's probably self inflicted this time :(
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Hey apandav,

Might be worth checking with a pharmacist about whether you'd still be able to take the indigestion tablets with your meds - you don't need to suffer if they are okay to take :)
  • Options
    plugitin wrote: »
    Hey apandav,

Might be worth checking with a pharmacist about whether you'd still be able to take the indigestion tablets with your meds - you don't need to suffer if they are okay to take :)

Good idea, I will do :)