Home Home, Law & Money
Ongoing maintenance - the boards are undergoing some ongoing, intermittent maintenance. Pages might load slightly slower than usual and there may be very short periods where the boards are offline.

Housing for 18 year olds?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, does anyone know what housing options there are for 18 year olds?

Thank in advance guys x
«1

Comments

  • apandavapandav :) Posts: 2,072
    Hi AngelFace97 :)

    Sorry I don't know really know anything about housing. Just wanted to suggest perhaps Citizens Advice could advise you?

    Hope things get sorted!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Not much. Unless you're just out of care. The council won't help you if you've got somewhere to live. I had to fight to get my current flat. That was even after having to tell them time and time again it's unsuitable for my needs.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    So, did you have somewhere to actually live before this current flat?

    Councils are mean and stupid and only care about putting people in homes who come into the UK, and forget about their own!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I did. But my parents house isn't suitable. Councils aren't stupid. There are people out there who are in far greater need of housing than you. Someone in your situation is going to be waiting years for somewhere to live. Your only option is private rent.

    You've got somewhere to live. Refugees haven't.
  • plugitinplugitin Noob Posts: 2,197 The Mix Regular
    Private rented would be the most common option - looking at websites such as spareroom.co.uk is probably a good start, as well as working out what you can afford with what you earn.
    This calculator from Shelter (http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/private_renting/costs_of_renting/costs_of_private_renting) is a good start to work out expenses etc.
    Unless you are in some kind of danger or have a care need, you are unlikely to get help with housing from your local council.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Melian wrote: »
    I did. But my parents house isn't suitable. Councils aren't stupid. There are people out there who are in far greater need of housing than you. Someone in your situation is going to be waiting years for somewhere to live. Your only option is private rent.

    You've got somewhere to live. Refugees haven't.

    If they haven't then they shouldn't come.Why wasn't your parents house suitable???

    We are all in great need,just for different reasons.

    I can't wait years.

    Xx
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    plugitin wrote: »
    Private rented would be the most common option - looking at websites such as spareroom.co.uk is probably a good start, as well as working out what you can afford with what you earn.
    This calculator from Shelter (http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/private_renting/costs_of_renting/costs_of_private_renting) is a good start to work out expenses etc.
    Unless you are in some kind of danger or have a care need, you are unlikely to get help with housing from your local council.

    My local council is impossible I think.On what conditions can the council house you?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru

    If they haven't then they shouldn't come.Why wasn't your parents house suitable???

    We are all in great need,just for different reasons.

    I can't wait years.

    Xx

    Because I have a severe physical disability.

    The council will only house you if it's things like overcrowding, your hose being unsuitable due to disability, you fleeing domestic abuse, etc. They won't house you because you fancy moving out.

    Refugees come here because it's safe. They're fleeing places where there's war. They have no choice. You don't need to move. You want to move.

    If you want to move, then look into private housing.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Melian wrote: »

    Because I have a severe physical disability.

    The council will only house you if it's things like overcrowding, your hose being unsuitable due to disability, you fleeing domestic abuse, etc. They won't house you because you fancy moving out.

    Refugees come here because it's safe. They're fleeing places where there's war. They have no choice. You don't need to move. You want to move.

    If you want to move, then look into private housing.

    I don't want to.I need to; in order to improve, get better and recover from my mental health...You hadn't asked if I wanted to or need to?

    Why is disability a reason?That's just like mental health being a good reason!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru

    I don't want to.I need to; in order to improve, get better and recover from my mental health...You hadn't asked if I wanted to or need to?

    Why is disability a reason?That's just like mental health being a good reason!

    Er, because some of us, like me, have or had problems getting out of our homes safely. We are given priority (or meant to be) on the housing list compared to someone who just wants to move out.

    You would have to demonstrate how, with evidence moving out is impacting on your mental health. Even then, you'll be waiting years for somewhere to live.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Melian wrote: »

    Er, because some of us, like me, have or had problems getting out of our homes safely. We are given priority (or meant to be) on the housing list compared to someone who just wants to move out.

    You would have to demonstrate how, with evidence moving out is impacting on your mental health. Even then, you'll be waiting years for somewhere to live.

    As I said,I don't want to just 'move out'!!But you have been given somewhere else to live :s So you should be lucky and acknowledge that!

    Why have you put'meant to be'in brackets?!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru

    As I said,I don't want to just 'move out'!!But you have been given somewhere else to live :s So you should be lucky and acknowledge that!

    Why have you put'meant to be'in brackets?!

    Lucky for what? I had to fight for it. My parents place is unsuitable. I risked falling down their steps every time I wanted to go out. I risked being run over every time I crossed a fucking road. Be grateful that's not your situation. Where I live now, I have no steps I unless I have to sort my bin out every 2-3 weeks and there's traffic lights and pedestrian crossings so I don't risk being run over.

    Be grateful you have somewhere to live. Some people don't.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You sound very ungrateful in the way you described there.

    You're very lucky and need to acknowledge it.

    I don't think you understand z
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    plugitin wrote: »
    Private rented would be the most common option - looking at websites such as spareroom.co.uk is probably a good start, as well as working out what you can afford with what you earn.
    This calculator from Shelter (http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/private_renting/costs_of_renting/costs_of_private_renting) is a good start to work out expenses etc.
    Unless you are in some kind of danger or have a care need, you are unlikely to get help with housing from your local council.

    Plugitin is right, SpareRoom is a great place to start looking for somewhere to live. Shelter and Citizens Advice would also be able to advise of any help you might be able to get.

    I think it's also worth remembering that we all deserve somewhere safe to live where we're able to be happy and healthy. For some of us that means living somewhere that meets our accessibility needs, for others it means being able to have our space so we can concentrate on self care.

    Can we all remember that and be respectful of others' needs and experiences?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I was moved from a very abusive situation where my life was at risk if i returned to that city, Moved half way across country by social services, Yet I still didn't have any priority or anywhere to live, I had to beg and go to numerous agencies and try and get them to acknowledge how dangerous my situation was, In the end I was made to live in Hostels which we're very unsuitable but i was very greatful for. They made my mental health plummet downhill, but i still couldn't move because i wasn't in need, there is usually 500+ poeple trying to get into ONE house.

    If you're working, which you claim to be, Look into private renting because the council won't even consider you until youve been on the list for a year.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Your only real option is to look into private housing, why is your current house unsuitable for you?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hiccup wrote: »
    Your only real option is to look into private housing, why is your current house unsuitable for you?

    The truth is, I don't know how to explain properly without sounding stupid even though I know it's actually not stupid, if that makes sense?

    What exactly is private housing?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Redhead wrote: »
    I was moved from a very abusive situation where my life was at risk if i returned to that city, Moved half way across country by social services, Yet I still didn't have any priority or anywhere to live, I had to beg and go to numerous agencies and try and get them to acknowledge how dangerous my situation was, In the end I was made to live in Hostels which we're very unsuitable but i was very greatful for. They made my mental health plummet downhill, but i still couldn't move because i wasn't in need, there is usually 500+ poeple trying to get into ONE house.

    If you're working, which you claim to be, Look into private renting because the council won't even consider you until youve been on the list for a year.

    I do claim to be working since I am actually working. My pay isn't great though and I am paying an awful lot of tax for someone who is just 18 years old! I do not have enough for that at the moment.

    I understand that and a lot of those are not even UK citizens at that.

    Sorry to hear you went through that xx
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    knockknock wrote: »

    Plugitin is right, SpareRoom is a great place to start looking for somewhere to live. Shelter and Citizens Advice would also be able to advise of any help you might be able to get.

    I think it's also worth remembering that we all deserve somewhere safe to live where we're able to be happy and healthy. For some of us that means living somewhere that meets our accessibility needs, for others it means being able to have our space so we can concentrate on self care.

    Can we all remember that and be respectful of others' needs and experiences?

    We all have different needs yes and all of these should count. On my thread here, I've been made to feel more that refugees, immigrants and those with a physical disability get more priority!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru

    The truth is, I don't know how to explain properly without sounding stupid even though I know it's actually not stupid, if that makes sense?

    What exactly is private housing?


    It's basically housing through renters and stuff, not through the council. We lack enough houses for the council to give them out to people who have suitable places to live
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru

    I understand that and a lot of those are not even UK citizens at that.

    This is completely irrelevant. The majority of them are in fact UK Citizens, yes we are housing refugees, because they have no where else to go. They need this housing more than you. They're fleeing from wars, there lives are in danger if they do not leave their countries.
    If you were in dyer need of housing, I.e if you were homeless, getting abused by family/the people you live with, the conditions in which you lived were harmful or unsuitable because of a physical difficulty (say you're in a wheelchair and can't walk, being in a property which has stairs is obviously dangerous and unsuitable) they would more than likely house you.
    But at the moment, you wouldn't be seen as high concern
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru

    I do claim to be working since I am actually working. My pay isn't great though and I am paying an awful lot of tax for someone who is just 18 years old! I do not have enough for that at the moment.

    I understand that and a lot of those are not even UK citizens at that.

    Sorry to hear you went through that xx

    Unfortunately if you're working you're not entitled to housing benefit anyways so you have to pay out of your own wages I work my tax is redic I'm on shit pay and overy half of it is rent alone.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru

    We all have different needs yes and all of these should count. On my thread here, I've been made to feel more that refugees, immigrants and those with a physical disability get more priority!

    That's because they are more of a priority.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Redhead wrote: »

    That's because they are more of a priority.

    They should not be solely.Everyone should be no matter what the need, so long as its a severe need x
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Redhead wrote: »

    Unfortunately if you're working you're not entitled to housing benefit anyways so you have to pay out of your own wages I work my tax is redic I'm on shit pay and overy half of it is rent alone.

    It's a disgrace and a fucking joke!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru

    They should not be solely.Everyone should be no matter what the need, so long as its a severe need x


    But yours is hardly severe.. that's the point
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru

    They should not be solely.Everyone should be no matter what the need, so long as its a severe need x


    So you're telling me a mother who has a severley disabled child who can't get up the stairs in their top floor flat due to being in paralysed in a car accident a few months back, Should have the same priority has somebody who has had the odd fall out with a parent and decided "stuff this" I'm out....Right? Or someone who's fled violence should have the same priority as someone who's let their rent arreas get out of hand so they've asked to move, or an elderly couple moving into their daughters flat because one of them had a stroke and he can't walk very much right now and its made serious overcrowding now they children are sleeping on the floor? should have the same priority as somebody whos just got a bit fed up of their house.


    As for your other coment about it being a disagrae and a joke because you have to pay for stuff yourself when you work, Thats not being a "fucking joke" its called, Being a respectable human and being in society. Yes there are things like benefits, but theyre for people who ARE in NEED of them, not for poeple who work.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Redhead wrote: »

    Unfortunately if you're working you're not entitled to housing benefit anyways so you have to pay out of your own wages I work my tax is redic I'm on shit pay and overy half of it is rent alone.


    You can get housing benefit if you're on low income I believe, but obviously how much you get will depend on what your income is. https://www.gov.uk/housing-benefit/overview this might help
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru

    We all have different needs yes and all of these should count. On my thread here, I've been made to feel more that refugees, immigrants and those with a physical disability get more priority!

    You need to stop being so judgmental. I had no choice but to move unless I wanted to risk falling down steps when I needed to go out out. And then after that, I would also risk being run over. You've got somewhere suitable for your needs. You're not homeless, you're not so physically disabled that you can't get out your own house without needing physical help from your parents. I had to move because there was nothing my parents could do to make living at home safer for me.

    I am slowly going blind. I can't see far enough to know whether there are cars coming, I can't always hear cars well enough. Where I am now, we have traffic lights and crossings. This means that I can cross without the same risks. I can get out my own flat without the risk of falling down steps. The only stepped access is to the garden. There are two step, which is fine for my needs.

    There are people with much greater need than you who are on the waiting list. You'll be waiting years and years. I had to beg for someone to look at my application again and again.

    Your needs will be taken into account if they are relevant. But som needs are greater than others.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I can see that you're all clearly very passionate about this issue. And it's clearly something very topical to debate.

    However, this thread is not the place for it. If you want to have a debate about access to housing benefit and social housing then you're more than welcome, but that discussion belongs in the Politics & Debate forum, not here.

    Can everyone take a deep breath, calm down and stop being so personal? Otherwise I'll have to close the thread down until we all have.
This discussion has been closed.