Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Housing for 18 year olds?

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Redhead wrote: »

So you're telling me a mother who has a severley disabled child who can't get up the stairs in their top floor flat due to being in paralysed in a car accident a few months back, Should have the same priority has somebody who has had the odd fall out with a parent and decided "stuff this" I'm out....Right? Or someone who's fled violence should have the same priority as someone who's let their rent arreas get out of hand so they've asked to move, or an elderly couple moving into their daughters flat because one of them had a stroke and he can't walk very much right now and its made serious overcrowding now they children are sleeping on the floor? should have the same priority as somebody whos just got a bit fed up of their house.

As for your other coment about it being a disagrae and a joke because you have to pay for stuff yourself when you work, Thats not being a "fucking joke" its called, Being a respectable human and being in society. Yes there are things like benefits, but theyre for people who ARE in NEED of them, not for poeple who work.

No, I am not saying that at all. Also, do not assume that I have just had the 'one off argument with parents'-It is far from that, trust me. I am not 'just a bit fed up with my house' either as you put it. You don't know me, don't speak to me in that way please!!

It is a disgust and a joke because UK citizens are not always given priority and proper pay and should be. We deserve that too, if we are in need. Yes there are benefits out there-We all have different needs.

Stop being so rude!
    Hiccup wrote: »

But yours is hardly severe.. that's the point

And how do you come to that assumption???
    Melian wrote: »

You need to stop being so judgmental. I had no choice but to move unless I wanted to risk falling down steps when I needed to go out out. And then after that, I would also risk being run over. You've got somewhere suitable for your needs. You're not homeless, you're not so physically disabled that you can't get out your own house without needing physical help from your parents. I had to move because there was nothing my parents could do to make living at home safer for me.

I am slowly going blind. I can't see far enough to know whether there are cars coming, I can't always hear cars well enough. Where I am now, we have traffic lights and crossings. This means that I can cross without the same risks. I can get out my own flat without the risk of falling down steps. The only stepped access is to the garden. There are two step, which is fine for my needs.

There are people with much greater need than you who are on the waiting list. You'll be waiting years and years. I had to beg for someone to look at my application again and again.

Your needs will be taken into account if they are relevant. But som needs are greater than others.

I am not being judgemental.

Yeah, I understand that and am sorry to hear that for you, though at the same time I'm really not. Especially you are being pretty rude and not very understanding at all to me here.

Physical Disability and mental health are completely different to you then in terms of priority-This should most definitely not be the case.
    knockknock wrote: »
    I can see that you're all clearly very passionate about this issue. And it's clearly something very topical to debate.

However, this thread is not the place for it. If you want to have a debate about access to housing benefit and social housing then you're more than welcome, but that discussion belongs in the Politics & Debate forum, not here.

Can everyone take a deep breath, calm down and stop being so personal? Otherwise I'll have to close the thread down until we all have.

If I have that debate, I will end up kicked off of this site..And I strongly believe that too.

We might as well delete this thread then as I did NOT come here to be spoken to like a piece of shit, to have assumptions made about, to be the person people can be rude at and misunderstand etc etc.
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    In an ideal world, yes, everyone in need would have access to the housing and benefit support required. However resources are limited and decisions have to be made to prioritise the people who need the accommodation most - it isn't us members here on ts who decide this; it's councils and the governments who do. Some people on here have direct experience in trying to get housing from the council, so have shared their experiences.

If you are serious about moving out, you will need to look in the private sector or consider some kind of psychological help via your doctor whilst you continue to live at home. You've said you don't want a debate, so there are your options. Speak to your CAB or Shelter just to be sure you won't qualify but like a few of us have said, it's unlikely the council will help.
  • *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture

If I have that debate, I will end up kicked off of this site..And I strongly believe that too.

We might as well delete this thread then as I did NOT come here to be spoken to like a piece of shit, to have assumptions made about, to be the person people can be rude at and misunderstand etc etc.

Nobody has spoken to you like a piece of shit though.
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "

Nobody has spoken to you like a piece of shit though.
    Well I feel and know they have so erm yeah.x
    plugitin wrote: »
    In an ideal world, yes, everyone in need would have access to the housing and benefit support required. However resources are limited and decisions have to be made to prioritise the people who need the accommodation most - it isn't us members here on ts who decide this; it's councils and the governments who do. Some people on here have direct experience in trying to get housing from the council, so have shared their experiences.

If you are serious about moving out, you will need to look in the private sector or consider some kind of psychological help via your doctor whilst you continue to live at home. You've said you don't want a debate, so there are your options. Speak to your CAB or Shelter just to be sure you won't qualify but like a few of us have said, it's unlikely the council will help.

Thank you for this,it is a little more understanding x

No, I am not saying that at all. Also, do not assume that I have just had the 'one off argument with parents'-It is far from that, trust me. I am not 'just a bit fed up with my house' either as you put it. You don't know me, don't speak to me in that way please!!

It is a disgust and a joke because UK citizens are not always given priority and proper pay and should be. We deserve that too, if we are in need. Yes there are benefits out there-We all have different needs.

Stop being so rude!

Not once did I claim to know you. If you notice I was giving you different scenarios. Of people on council waiting lists
    Council flats, assuming you get one, are unfurnished and moving out won't be cheap. It cost me some £1300 to move out.
    I'm going to close this thread now, @AngelFace97 I think you have got all the advice you need in terms of seeking housing. If you'd like more then you can also talk to Shelter the housing experts: http://england.shelter.org.uk/

Mind infoline can also give you advice in terms of your rights related to mental health support: http://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/helplines/

We also have information on moving out here on TheSite: http://www.thesite.org/sex-and-relat...-out-3292.html

As @knockknock rightly points out this space is for advice and support, not for debate - that's what politics and debate is for. It's possible to have debate and not be kicked off TheSite if you make sure you are debating with respect, you avoid insults and everyone takes time to listen and try to understand where others are coming from.

You have had lots of replies from others aiming to support you and help you to understand the bigger picture @AngelFace97[/USER] - as [USER="44074"]plugitin rightly says, budgets are tight and prioirities have to be made, this can be hard to swallow sometimes but try not to take your anger out on the members of TheSite who are trying to help you.

If you're feeling angry by what's posted here the best thing to do is to report the posts that you feel are offensive, step away from the computer for a while and take some time to cool off. A moderator can then come and take a look and talk to you via PM.

You haven't explained the reasons for needing to move out yourself - once you feel ready to do that we will be able to offer you further advice on what support might be available for your personal situation :)

Thanks all :yes:
This discussion has been closed.