Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Struggling to eat.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
As many of you may know already I’ve battled anorexia since I was around 12, Including being sectioned and placed in Eating Disorder clinics due to my weight being too low and health being at great risk. I would go days without eating a single thing only having something to drink, It’d make my blood sugar levels drop dramatically and I was prone to collapsing in random places all the time, Whilst I was at college I collapsed and my tutor begged the mental health team to have me sectioned because in her eyes I was slowly dying.

Eventually I sort of just woke up from everything and started recovering, I don’t know why or what happened but I started eating, Not huge amounts more like kids portions and stuff, but I was still “eating” a year down the line and I put on a fair amount of weight and got my weight to around 8 ½ 9 stone. Which is a huge amount compared to how I used to be.

Recently I’ve started a new job where all of my colleagues are on the larger size and they constantly comment on my weight by telling me I’m too thin, or making it seem like I’m not capable of doing something because of my weight with comments like “She won’t be able to restrain…..She’s to thin it’ll snap her” and telling me how I should just eat loads of high fat food. Its triggered off my eating issues again, the amount of stress I’m under at work with the added thing of works comments, I’ve now started limiting my food intake, They’ve started to notice asking why I’m not eating especially on 15 hour shifts.

I’ve been diagnosed with anorexia again, although I don’t think I have anorexia, I think I’m just stressed, but I can’t seem to be able to eat, its like I’ve gone back to being that hopeless child again, My jeans have all stopped fitting me and, I can’t deal with this anymore.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey Redhead,

Well done for posting and being so open about your struggles, it takes guts to do that. I don't listen to this and think of you as a hopeless child at all. What is it that's making you feel that way? Do you know? *hug*

What I hear is that the stress of work and these comments have been a real trigger for you, that's understandable given your past difficulties with eating. People often don't realise the impact of their words on others and it's really rude of them to comment on your size or shape at all! How would it be for you to ask them to give it a rest or to talk to your manager about the comments?

I also wonder what it was that helped you to start eating again? It sounds like it sort of happened overnight and I wonder if you can pinpoint what changed in the way you thought or felt about it? If you can hone in on that it might help you again now.

Given that you have had this diagnosis again, are you being offered any support?

Let us know how you're doing :)