Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What's overrated/over-priced?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The Body Shop Body Butter.
I was given a couple as a birthday present - cocoa butter. It absolutely reeks. The nut one smells lovely, but it's greasy as hell & doesn't look like it'll be lasting long at all. People pay £10 for these? WHY?

Urban Decay lip shine - £12 :eek:
It's sticky as hell, lasts all of 5 minutes & the tube is tiny.

I'm going back to my cheapy-priced stuff ta. :impissed:

Also, what's worth splashing out on?

Comments

• Options
    all body shop stuff is shit, waste of money too expensive and it sucks anyway-i never shop there now.
    a lot of the designer brands in boots are crap, and boots in general is too expensive-why bother when you can get things cheaper acroos the road in superdrug?! :confused:
  • Options
    Re: What's overrated/over-priced?
    Originally posted by Smash
    The nut one smells lovely

:yes: Yup, I love the smell of the nut one, I go in there especially to smell it :D But you're right the other smells aren't as nice.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Char_Baby
    all body shop stuff is shit, waste of money too expensive and it sucks anyway-i never shop there now.
    a lot of the designer brands in boots are crap, and boots in general is too expensive-why bother when you can get things cheaper acroos the road in superdrug?! :confused:

Yeah, I'd choose Superdrugs over Boots for value anyday. I don't see why one shop can sell the same product for a higher price, cos if it's like the same thing, it's not gonna be any better quality is it?

I think worth splashing out on is Lush stuff. It smells gorgeous, leaves you relaxed and make your skin soft :yum:

Lush
  • Options
    Originally posted by Char_Baby
    and boots in general is too expensive-why bother when you can get things cheaper acroos the road in superdrug?! :confused:
    Oh yes, Boots is crap! Who would shop in Boots, like ever? It is so expensive. We have a shop called Savers which sells the same stuff tonnes cheaper so I reckon it is a lot to do with snobbery!!

As for The Body shop, sometimes I buy stuff there because I can't find anything similar that isn't tested on animals, and I would rather pay a bit more for an ethical product.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    We have a shop called Savers which sells the same stuff tonnes cheaper so I reckon it is a lot to do with snobbery!!

Yeah we have one of those too! :)
  • Options
    Re: Re: What's overrated/over-priced?
    Originally posted by Psycho_Smurf
    :yes: Yup, I love the smell of the nut one, I go in there especially to smell it :D But you're right the other smells aren't as nice.

Yeah, I think they got quite tired of me.
    "would you like to buy that?"
    No, just sniff it, thanks.
    I don't want to use it now, just because it was expensive - I'm useless with pricey stuff, I don't wanna use it. Just look at it. Ands sniff it :yeees:

Who shops in Boots? My mother. With her bloody advantage card.
    I get money off!

What is the point? GO to Superdrug and they save yoiu the time by making the products cheaper in the first sodding place. There's something nice about shopping in Boots though, it just seems like a nicer shop. I'm drawn in. Must put somewthing in the air conditioning. Crack, perhaps. Hate getting collared by the make-up ladies though - the luminous orange ones trying to put eyebrow lift and radiance balm on you. I DON'T WANT IT I ONLY CAME IN FOR SOME TAMPAX JUST LEAVE ME ALONE!

So we're all cheapskates then?
    Marvellous.
    This was a bit of waste of time then. :D
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: What's overrated/over-priced?
    Yeah, I think they got quite tired of me.
    "would you like to buy that?"
    No, just sniff it, thanks.
    I don't want to use it now, just because it was expensive - I'm useless with pricey stuff, I don't wanna use it. Just look at it. Ands sniff it :yeees:

:yes: :yes: Just like me! I think I feel a bit guilty using stuff if it was expensive, but I guess sitting looking at it isn't going to get my money's worth ;)
    There's something nice about shopping in Boots though, it just seems like a nicer shop. I'm drawn in. Must put somewthing in the air conditioning.

Yeah, I must say I prefer it in Boots for the atmostphere. Feels like I'm buying something 'luxury' because of the expensiveness! :)

However much I don't like Boots prices, I still go round sniffing the products (esp. the Natural Collection range, they smell lovely) it's worth it just to piss the staff off :naughty:
  • Options
    I love savers!! you can get cyclax cocoa butter cream in there which isnt tested on animals and smells the same as the body shop one but is less greasy. The problem with the body shop stuff, is it now all says `against animal testing` whereas it used to say not tested on animals. I dont think `against animal testing` means anything at all about the product in a legal sense. It could still be tested on animals but they wouldnt be telling a lie, because it doesnt say its not. I did read something about the body shop a while back about how they were having to concentrate more on the marketting and commercial side of the business rather than the ethical side, as they were losing money. They forget why people buy their stuff in the first place.
  • Options
    all hair products apart from your bog standard shampoo and conditioner are overrated in my opinion. but i'm still addicted to buying them in the hope that one day i'll find the magic cream or potion that will give me lovely locks!!

and as for boots/superdrug i agree superdrug is much better. i but my sun lotion there the other day for less than £4!!!! much better than Boots's £9 odd! but i've got really sensitive skin and the only products i've found that i can use are Boots's fragrance free stuff so I have to go in there occasionally!
  • Options
    Originally posted by KoolCat
    all hair products apart from your bog standard shampoo and conditioner are overrated in my opinion. but i'm still addicted to buying them in the hope that one day i'll find the magic cream or potion that will give me lovely locks!!
    Exactly! I use supermarket own brand shampoo as advised by my hairdresser - he says people spend far too much looking for some miracle to make their hair gorgeous when all it really needs is to be cut regularly and for people to avoid excesses of styling (hairdrying, hair irons, crimping, bleaching excessively etc). He also says people wash their hair far too much!
  • Options
    apparently tescos own wheatgerm shampoo came out tops in the `which magazine` consumer tests. way above all the designer posh shampoos.
    As for sun cream, i get that from savers too - its got a picture of noddy on the front, but it was only £1.99 and its not tested on animals!!! you can get it in factor 15 or 30. Works for me!
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    Exactly! I use supermarket own brand shampoo as advised by my hairdresser - he says people spend far too much looking for some miracle to make their hair gorgeous when all it really needs is to be cut regularly and for people to avoid excesses of styling (hairdrying, hair irons, crimping, bleaching excessively etc). He also says people wash their hair far too much!

My hairdresser says that non-salon shampoos contain some ingredient which is also used in dishwash soaps which are an annoyance to the scalp or so.
    Isn't cause she want us to buy from her, cause she sells the salon shampoos which she has in her salon for the same price as she gets it.
  • Options
    i use tescos henna conditioner that i picked up for 99p and its kept my dyed bits brown like they were when they were done, when i had it dyed before and used herbal essences colour shampoo/conditioner the colour faded after a week
  • Options
    Originally posted by paperBprincess
    i use tescos henna conditioner that i picked up for 99p and its kept my dyed bits brown like they were when they were done, when i had it dyed before and used herbal essences colour shampoo/conditioner the colour faded after a week
    ooh thats a good tip, ill try that, as my hair colour always fades really quickly, even with thos colour keeper shampoos, theyre crap.
  • Options
    Oooh, one tip to look out for (which makes me buy more expensive shampoo and body wash) is if you suffer from mouth ulcers, a lot of foaming products have something in them called sodium-laureth-sulfate, which apparently triggers mouth ulcers. I used to get REALLY bad ulcers, then i switched to pantene pro-v and palmolive body wash and i hardly ever get them any more. I advised my dad to do it too, and it worked for him, so it's worth trying :)

I think trainers generally are overpriced. Except my funky-cool new trainers from faith with blue flames on them, and were only £22.50 :D

I think most eyeliners are overpriced.

I love vaseline and baby oil. With those two things, you'll survive most problems :)

Oooh, another tip - if your eyebrows go mad and you haven't got time to get them done, or you want to get rid of the hair between them and can't be bothered to pluck, cut one of the Immac (sorry, Veet :rolleyes: ) bikini waxing strips in half horizontally and then wax it off - it's quicker, doesn't hurt any more, and they fit *really* well between your eyebrows!
  • Options
    that's a point..those veet bikini wax strip things dont work for me :confused:

not sure why this could be? i followed the instructions...

im a fan of boots, you can get some good deals and the advantage card is good