Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

wisdom teeth.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
how do you get them to stop hurting??

one of mine is coming through and my gum is raw. my top two have already come through and didn't hurt barely at all. this one kills.

i used bonjela for the other two which seemed to do the trick, but it has absolutely no effect on this one...

any ideas??

Comments

• Options
    If bonjela is doing nowt, try ibuprofun but to be honest, you're best going to the dentist and having the bugger removed if it's giving you that much trouble.
    Of course, I'd just suck it up and whinge, due to my utter fear and hatred, but dentist is the best idea.
  • Options
    a piece of cotton wool with a bit of whiskey on it might do the trick. i used that pressed against my gum when i had tooth ache and it seemed to numb the area. dont know if it will work for your gums but it might. thing is though it might mean having to go out and buy whiskey, i work in a restaurant and was able to get a nip from there. mind you if you like whiskey, buy a bottle dab a bit on your gum and neck the rest, thatll numb the pain! :lol:
  • Options
    I read somewhere that if wisdom teeth hurt, it's normally because you have a small infection. Something to do with bits of food gathering under loose flaps of gum (Lovely!). Not sure if you can do anything to help the infection, or whether you just have to let it sort itself out? But in terms of good pain relief, you can take paracetamol and ibuprofen at the same time, which gives you a lot of pain relief (you could also take Co-Codamol instead of just plain paracetamol, which is even stronger - available from your chemist). Good luck ;)
  • Options
    Ive heard that if your brush the gum with your tooth brush everyday then it will losen the gum so its easier fo the tooth to come through but im not sure if it works.
  • Options
    Originally posted by sxy bunny grl
    Ive heard that if your brush the gum with your tooth brush everyday then it will losen the gum so its easier fo the tooth to come through but im not sure if it works.

I have heard that too but haven't tried it. I had exactly the same problem when my wisdom teeth were coming through and after moaning to my dentist for ages he finally gave me some antibiotic spray to put on the area although i have heard of some people having the antibiotics in tablet form. It helped quite a bit so if i were you, carry on using Bonjela, take some painkillers and see your dentist about getting some antibiotics. You could also try brushing your gum as someone suggested and see if that has any effect. If none of these work then your only option will probably be to have them taken out. Sorry i haven't been a great deal of help and hope the pain goes away. My bottom ones were a right pain but my top ones haven't come through yet so i have all this to look forward to again :rolleyes: Some lucky people don't have wisdom teeth at all!!! Good luck!
  • Options
    i have an ABSOLUTE dentist phobia. like -they have to sedate me just to get me in the chair.

last time i was dragged kicking and screaming (april, i think) the dentist said they looked fine, and there was plenty of room for them, so he didn't think they should take them out.

which suits me down to the ground.

the only painkiller i can tolerate is paracetamol - but i have taken a couple now, and it feels a little better - thanks for the suggestion people.

actually hadn't thought of it - how thick am i?

and i will try the brushing thing - if i can get my brush anywhere near it without squealing :(
  • Options
  • Options
    If it's really giving you problems the gum is quite possibly infected - go to your dentist, it'll be a short appointment, they may take x-rays to see how far off cutting your teeth actually are, and prescribe antibiotics for the infection.

If you don't do it they'll just keep hurting

Susie :)
  • Options
    I always found TCP quite good for soothing ulcers and soar throats not sure how it would work on a new tooth.

Don't over do the paracetomol or you could overdose - peple have done that in the past, taking tablets, night nurse, etc not knowing they all contain Paracetomol and giving themselves liver failure.

Some even died!!