Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Using war on terror against drugs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have just been emailed this link

http://www.lindesmith.org/news/07_22_03terrorism.cfm

basically a man has been charged with two counts of manufacturing a nuclear or chemical weapon after he was arrested for cooking methamphetamine in his home last week.

the report says it is based on this

that the term nuclear, biological or chemical weapon of mass destruction applies to "any substance that is designed or has the capability to cause death or serious injury and ... is or contains toxic or poisonous chemicals or their immediate precursors.

On the same bases any one making crack (fairly easy) could be treated the same way

So I guess the Mr Bush is going to have to increase the capacity at Guantanamo Bay because it could get busy

Comments

• Options
    That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. And another step towards a police state of fear by the Bush Administration.
  • Options
    Given that the Bush riches came from business dealings with the Nazis during WWII, perhaps Dubyah is merely working towards developing his own Gestapo little by little whilst the public is kept busy with other matters.
  • Options
    That law is SO wide that almost any chemical process legal or otherwise would come under that.

What about household bleach? That has the capability to cause death or serious injury and contains toxic or poisonous chemicals. It would be funny if it wasnt so dam scary.
  • Options
    ridiculous yes

drug users / makers being arrested without charge, held indefinately outside the normal judicary system and then shot...

I'm sure there are pleanty of people out there who think this should happen
  • Options
    Youd have to eliminate half the staff of the CIA if that was the case! Very few organisations in the world have aided the international production and shipment of hard drugs for profit as much as they have singlehandedly.
  • Options
    The stupid thing is it is the legal situation within the US which creates the monster drug dealers they have there, because the penalties are so high only the most ruthless survive. I'm not saying the ones in the UK are saints but there is a difference.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    The stupid thing is it is the legal situation within the US which creates the monster drug dealers they have there, because the penalties are so high only the most ruthless survive. I'm not saying the ones in the UK are saints but there is a difference.

yes but I get the impression this is not just about monster drug dealers - it makes it sound like someone who cooks up a bit of heroin is a terrorist, wait a minute, that means anyone in the NHS injecting morphine (or any other drug) could be classed as a terrorist

maybe this a ploy to reduce the world's population...
  • Options
    It doesnt have to be a drug at all, as I said it could be virtualy any cleaning product, hair care product, gardening supplies, etc, I would be VERY surprised if you raided anyones house you couldnt find something that fit this law.
  • Options
    Well Saddam did build duel use facilities. One made caster oil and as a side thing ricin that has been used to kill people and that a guy was picked up carrying in London. This guy had fought in Afghanistan, was treated medically in Baghdad and then spent time in Northern Iraq with an Al Qaeda cell who had poisoned someone with ricin the previous summer.

So the idea, to me, of dual use manufacturing and violations is valid.
  • Options
    I'm sorry, I dont understand your point. The law is so wide that I am certain PNJ that there is something within your house which would breach it. Would you consider yourself a maker of chemical wepons?
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    Well Saddam did build duel use facilities.

:lol:
    pistols at dawn (only no one could find them)
  • Options
    The law is so wide
    You could be right bong...I don't know the particular law. What I posted was true about pre-war Iraq though. Also, I don't post to change minds...just to make people consider a different perspective. I go back and forth on things in my mind all of the time.:yes:

But I do know that if a law is too broad or infringes on rights...it won't hold up in court. (There's a lot of debate over the anti-terrorist law the Patriot Act in the US right now.)
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    Well Saddam did build duel use facilities. One made caster oil and as a side thing ricin that has been used to kill people and that a guy was picked up carrying in London. This guy had fought in Afghanistan, was treated medically in Baghdad and then spent time in Northern Iraq with an Al Qaeda cell who had poisoned someone with ricin the previous summer.

So the idea, to me, of dual use manufacturing and violations is valid.
    PNJ ...just go surfing ...please.
  • Options
    The Patriot Act really makes me sick, I think everything in it and the name itself are absolutely vile.

Its internment! This is an action of a police state!