Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Refugees

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am all for Britain doing our bit for refugees etc and giving sanctuary but a program on TV last night got me wondering. Why do we take in so many people who have no cultural (or religious historical) ties with this country as this seem to be quite a cause for unrest amongst the local communities that have to house them?
For instance, we are taking in so many Muslims from Iran, Sudan etc when they have no connection with our culture whatsoever yet we bend over backwards to accommodate them. Yet there are monstrously rich Islamic societies like Brunei, Saudi Arabia etc that would be able to offer a far more congenial environment for them. Doesn't charity begin at home .... should Muslims not be looking out for Muslims wherever possible?

Comments

• Options
    I don't think it should be a question of religion when talking about asylum seekers, the important thing is whether they're genuine and the number coming into the country.
    You're not going to get as many Christian refugees because of the current state of the world.
    We have decade’s old established communities of all faiths which refugee's and immigrants could feel comfortable in.
    This country is rightly tolerant of all religions the important thing is that everyone respects everyone else's faith.
  • Options
    Re: Refugees
    Originally posted by Teagan
    I am all for Britain doing our bit for refugees etc and giving sanctuary but a program on TV last night got me wondering. Why do we take in so many people who have no cultural (or religious historical) ties with this country as this seem to be quite a cause for unrest amongst the local communities that have to house them?
    For instance, we are taking in so many Muslims from Iran, Sudan etc when they have no connection with our culture whatsoever yet we bend over backwards to accommodate them. Yet there are monstrously rich Islamic societies like Brunei, Saudi Arabia etc that would be able to offer a far more congenial environment for them. Doesn't charity begin at home .... should Muslims not be looking out for Muslims wherever possible?

Well...what is our culture firstly! And what is our religion? as an athiest living in Wales I seem to have a more tollerant attitude to helping peole who are in need of asylum than some of the so-called christians in Britain!

We are probably taking in lots of people from Iran because their country is being attacked on a daily basis and has been for years, and they are fleeing from political persecution!

Religion should have little to do withh caring!
  • Options
    I understand your argument but they tend to be religious themselves even if we aren't .... so would they not feel happier in a country that by default is more sympathetic to their beliefs?
  • Options
    I am against immigration.

Britain is a small country , with a population of over 60 millions , there is no room for swarms of foreigners.

As for illegal immigrants , send them back where they came from , they sneak into our conutry , steal our jobs and put even more strain on the NHS and welfare systems.

Its our country , just because your country is a mess doesnt mean you can come and live here , go and sort your own country out.
  • Options
    Spoken like a true Murdoch protégée Mat! Be sure to apply for the post of editor of the S*n when Rebekah Wade leaves.
    :rolleyes:
  • Options
    :wave: My turn. My turn. Don't worry about immigrants. By the time they have kids, their children will become surprising British...and who knows...you might get a dish of something at a restaurant you never would have had...had they not immigrated to Britian.

Most Muslims coming to a Western society, I believe, are rejecting the extremism at home. For instance with Iran. Did you know people who wanted to just celebrate Valentine's Day were made to take down hearts in Iran?

Also regarding immigrant riots. I've read in different places on Canadian and UK sites from people living in the UK that the government funds programs and economic opportunities better in southern UK than northern. Could the lack of opportunity be a reason for the unrest and not the immigration problem. In other words are poor people being played off of poor people. That was the impression I got from 1, only 1, article I read about a disturbance in Wales.

1 more thought. A lot of immigrants work longer hours and harder at jobs other people wouldn't want. So by letting them in, you have people doing crappy jobs and maybe fixing up areas others wouldn't want to live in.

Just a couple of thoughts and not made to make anyone angry.
  • Options
    Originally posted by The Matadore

Britain is a small country , with a population of over 60 millions , there is no room for swarms of foreigners.

As for illegal immigrants , send them back where they came from , they sneak into our conutry , steal our jobs and put even more strain on the NHS and welfare systems.

Its our country , just because your country is a mess doesnt mean you can come and live here , go and sort your own country out.

Britain is built on Immigration, the result of many peoples coming or invading britain in the last 1000 years has resulted in what today is 'british'. Swarms of foreigners? like a few 100,000 so what? big deal how does it effect you directly?
  • Options
    Renzo, maybe Mat desperately wants a job shovelling refuse from alleyways and just can't find an opening because some poor immigrant slob has gotten in before him! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I understand your argument but they tend to be religious themselves even if we aren't .... so would they not feel happier in a country that by default is more sympathetic to their beliefs?

I think when you are being persucuted any kind of tollerant country looks good! What is shameful is that often when they do come here people are so Intollerant toward them because of the language barier, colour, religion and politics. Its a shame
  • Options
    boobie prize. Is that you in the picture byny or do I get the boobie prize for asking that question?:o
  • Options
    HA HA - no its from a Russ meyer film!
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny
    I think when you are being persucuted any kind of tollerant country looks good!

So why not stop in France?

I actually don't have a problem with immigration but if you are arguing that "any tolerant country will do" why do so many people come to the UK?

The examples given were Iran and Sudan. Now my geography isn't the best but I have a inkling that there are one or two "tolerant" countries between here and there. In fact many are EU member states...
    Originally posted by Matadore
    As for illegal immigrants , send them back where they came from , they sneak into our conutry , steal our jobs and put even more strain on the NHS and welfare systems

That's a bunch of arse. Sod voting Tory, Mat. I think you are ripe for the BNP. Why let fact get in the way of a good predjudice eh?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Renzo, maybe Mat desperately wants a job shovelling refuse from alleyways and just can't find an opening because some poor immigrant slob has gotten in before him! :rolleyes:
    :lol:

Exactly. WHat jobs do these people have when they come here? They do the menial tasks everyone else says "urgh" to. Matadore - don't spout unsubstantiated rubbish about them stealing our jobs!

(Please be aware I am now talking about legal immigrants and refugees rather than economic migrants, which are two different things!)
    I think the reason they are fleeing is usually religious extremism. A nation such as ours seems a far safer option than a neighbouring country. If they are fleeing from threat, a neighbouring country would simply hand them back over to their own government. Nations such as Saudi Arabia are rich, yes, but the people aren't.
  • Options
    Yes cultural assimilation is the way - make all immigrants wear football t-shirts, drink stella and swear.

Maybe if we did more to help suffering, human rights abuses, civil wars etc. in other countries, there wouldn't be so many people seeking refuge.

Immigration is just something else for British people to moan about "ooh we have such a rough deal - we have to pay tax!". In comparison to many people we have privileged lives - so why not help those less fortunate not only in Britain, but from other countries too?

And not only do they usually take the shitty jobs, but the shit racist people here give them too.
  • Options
    Originally posted by The Matadore

Without immigrants the NHS would have collapsed years ago, don't forget the contribution they have made in rebuilding the country since the end of WW2. I didnt see many British people complaining either when foreigners fought for Britain in WW1 and WW2, short memories eh?
  • Options
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    Without immigrants the NHS would have collapsed years ago, don't forget the contribution they have made in rebuilding the country since the end of WW2. I didnt see many British people complaining either when foreigners fought for Britain in WW1 and WW2, short memories eh?
    :yes:
    Think how many doctors there are in this country who are from foreign backgrounds!
  • Options
    Originally posted by BlackArab

Exactly.
  • Options
    Finest irony of it all is that the same people who complain about the "tides of refugees flooding in this country" (usually accusing them of "coming here to milk out our generous welfare system" and all that rubbish) are often the same ones who fervently supported the wars in Kosovo, Afghanistan and Iraq.

By strange coincidence the immense majority of refugees in the last 5 years has come from... er, Kosovo, Afghanistan and Iraq.

Priceless.
  • Options
    Re: Refugees

In short... British forces keep on pissing around with countries in the east and in Africa. For example, imposing sanctions on Iraq which killed thousands of people.

As for muslims looking after muslims. There's always been a problem with denomination, like with catholics and protestants for example. Whilst we would think it a nice idea that everybody would get on... it's not like that in the real world. The Uk is a bit of a soft touch though and in all honesty, I believe that the reason we let inb so many assylum seekers is because Mr Blair wants to look good.

Urgh... I'm a bit drunk. Anyway, I don't have a problem with assylum seekers/refugees although our town has recently had a riot about them. As far as I'm concerned I have a roof over my head and I'm happy.
  • Options
    Actually the UK isnt even the highest in total number of asylum seekers in the EU, Germany is well ahead in that regard. As a percentage of population Austria is also ahead of the UK.

http://www.ecre.org/country01/synthesis%20part%201.pdf
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Finest irony of it all is that the same people who complain about the "tides of refugees flooding in this country" (usually accusing them of "coming here to milk out our generous welfare system" and all that rubbish) are often the same ones who fervently supported the wars in Kosovo, Afghanistan and Iraq.

By strange coincidence the immense majority of refugees in the last 5 years has come from... er, Kosovo, Afghanistan and Iraq.

Priceless.

Yes, I've noticed that too...

Germany takes in more asylum seekers than the UK? Aha! I now have evidence to win the argument with my brother...he was arguing the UK takes in the most in the world. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by ElysiumUnknown
    Yes, I've noticed that too...

Germany takes in more asylum seekers than the UK? Aha! I now have evidence to win the argument with my brother...he was arguing the UK takes in the most in the world. :rolleyes:

You see? That is root of the problem. And it's all the fault of the fucking racist far-right wing tabloids we have in this country!

There was an report in the Independent a while ago about asylum myths and figures. Unfortunately you now have to pay a fee to see it in full, but here are a few facts from the article you should make your brother see:

Claim: "Most asylum seekers are not in danger- they just come here to milk our generous system"

Fact: "The main countries from which applicants came in 2002 were Iraq (14,940), Zimbabwe (7,695) and Afghanistan (7,380)."

Claim: "We're being swamped with refugees and taking more than anyone else in Europe or indeed the world"

Fact: "In 2002, the United Kingdom was 8th in Europe in terms of the number of asylum applications per 1,000 of the population, with 1.9. Austria is top with 4.6"

Claim: "The country is about to collapse under the weight of asylum seekers"

Fact: The public has been misled about this to the point where: "According to an opinion poll last year, the public believes that the UK hosts about 23 per cent of the world's refugees, although the real figure is 1.98%."
    "The public overestimates by a factor of 10 the number of asylum-seekers in the UK."

Claim: "Asylum seekers live a life of luxury and are given very generous handouts by the government"

Fact: "The public believes that the average asylum-seeker receives about £113 in benefits a week; in reality they receive about £36.54." That's 70% of the minimum wage, and well below the poverty line.