Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The impact of Saddam's sons deaths.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What impact do you believe their deaths will have on the war in Iraq?

The political doings of Blair and Bush?

World economies? (NY stock market is way up.)

Comments

• Options
    well if they are them and they are dead, this question arises:

WHY DID THEY BOMB THEM! SURELY IT WOULD MAKE MORE SENSE TO TAKE THEM ALIVE AND QUESTION THEM!:rolleyes:
  • Options
    From what I read there was a fierce gun battle. If there was a lot of amunition inside the house...maybe it blew up. I would like to have seen a trial of them too.
  • Options
    Have they confirmed that their bodies were those found within the dead now then? I thought it was just a possibility it was them?

I suppose Saddam's only round the corner now. Wonder when/if they will find him....
  • Options
    Judging by the accuracy of the Pentagon/US government reports on the well-being of the Hussein family so far (Saddam "almost certainly dead"... hold on, okay, now we've got him... oh, not that time but yesterday we really did get him... oh, okay, I believe he was in that restaurant... oh, maybe not but I'm sure he was in that convoy that was destroyed last week... etc etc ad nauseam) chances are Saddam's sons are not only alive and well but in radiant health.

Not that their deaths would have much of an influence in the conflict. The ongoing attacks against US soldiers are likely to be by Iraqis outraged at the American war of occupation and continuing presence in their country, not by the Hussein family. It would seem that rather than a few Saddam loyalists the US might be fighting a proper Iraqi Resistance trying to expel the invader.

Hold on.. but that's not supposed to happen! We're the good guys, there to liberate them and give them peace and democracy, right? They couldn’t possibly do such a thing! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Re: The impact of Saddam's sons deaths.
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    What impact do you believe their deaths will have on the war in Iraq?

The political doings of Blair and Bush?

World economies? (NY stock market is way up.)

First off PNJ it hasn't been confirmed they are dead. Don't count your chickens before they're hatched. There have been two false reports of them being killed before.

However, it does appear that it is likely that they are now dead. So what is the impact? For Blair I think it changes nothing, the issue in Britain was always about the threat to Britain of Iraqi WMDs not about removing a tyrant - despite the fact Blair now seems to have decided that the lack of WMDs doesn't matter. Bush however I think will benefit, not hugely, but there will be a benefit from catching some baddies.

As for economic benefits, I think there will be little economic benefit, this doesn't change the situation of American troops being killed by guerilla warfare so maybe one or two days of stock market increases but little else.
  • Options
    it probably won't have any effect, maybe more determined fighters against the americans in Iraq, i dunno, only time will tell but they probably aren't even dead anyway, they thought they had killed Saddam before, looks not.
  • Options
    successful operation against Saddam’s sons would result in “a cascading effect of getting good intelligence and acting on it immediately

That sounds good. Anything to get on with democracy in that country.
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    successful operation against Saddam’s sons would result in “a cascading effect of getting good intelligence and acting on it immediately

That sounds good. Anything to get on with democracy in that country.
    why do you quote the stock market? did you know that americas trade defecit is rising at an alarming fifty million dollars an hour ...24hrs a day!
  • Options
    So they are dead.

"We are certain that Odai and Qusai were killed today," said Lt. Gen. Ricardo Sanchez at a news conference in Baghdad.

"They died in a fierce gunbattle," Sanchez added.

He told reporters that soldiers from the 101st Airborne Division were working on a tip from an Iraqi informant that the sons were present in the house.

When troops approached the building, gunmen inside opened fire with small arms. The "suspects barricaded themselves in the house" and "resisted fiercely," he said.

Sanchez promised a detailed briefing on the operation Wednesday.

"The bodies were in such a condition where you could identify them," he said. The identities of the other two dead were not known, he said.
  • Options
    There is reports of lot's of gun fire in Baghdad. The US command doesn't know if the guns are pointed in the air in celebration of their deaths...or at the Americans.
  • Options
    your government has lied to you before, why believe them this time?
  • Options
    the question of arresting them is a bit silly because I don't think they would have let themselves be taken alive.
    I don't think it will make much difference because it's not Saddam is it?
  • Options
    Well maybe Saddam will now be really pissed off and unearth all those WMDs he has but didn't want to use during the war. :lol:

On another note, I thought exemplary Christians like Bush and Blair were supposed to be a bit more magnanimous and forgiving about their dead foes... whatever happened to all that drivel about "May God have mercy on their souls"? They're all having a wild celebration instead (not that I'm losing any sleep about the deaths of those two bastards mind).

No doubt when Margaret Thatcher dies and most of the country erupts in jubilation with champagne corks flying everywhere Blair will complain about the tactlessness and unpleasantness of those who celebrate the death of another human being. ;)