Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

CCTV - 1984 turning into reality....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Doesn't CCTV erode freedom?

Why should the state monitor your movements?

It's a waste of resources in watching people who do not commit crime!

Comments

• Options
    Re: CCTV - 1984 turning into reality....
    Originally posted by monocrat
    Doesn't CCTV erode freedom?

Does it? What freedom does it erode, precisely? Your freedom not to be watched? But wait, CCTV is only used in public places, where you have basically little or no privacy anyway, CCTV or no CCTV.
  • Options
    Monocrat I think the debate of our lives will be: how much do we as a free people allow the government to monitor society to prevent the actions of big organized drug, crime and terrorist entities. That's the big question.
  • Options
    Re: Re: CCTV - 1984 turning into reality....
    Originally posted by Darth Fred
    Does it? What freedom does it erode, precisely? Your freedom not to be watched? But wait, CCTV is only used in public places, where you have basically little or no privacy anyway, CCTV or no CCTV.

No CCTV.

The state has no right to monitor its citizens.
  • Options
    Well the UK is the undisputed king of CCTV, the average Londoner is videoed something like 200 times a day.

The problem is that we live in such a culture of fear that people are preaty much asking for an oppressive government, and the US is the worst for that.

Did you know the only person to vote against the Patriot Bill, did so because he hadnt read it, there were only TWO copies doing the rounds, yet everyone voted for it because they didnt want to be unpatroitic.

The next patriot bill will make internment legal for US citizens as well as non-US nationals. And no-one will protest because apparently we 'need' it to protect ourselves.

PNJ; how can you say you are from the 'home of the free' when you are about to have internment?
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    to prevent the actions of big organized drug, crime and terrorist entities. That's the big question.
    well they have done buggar all in my lifetime! they have lost the war against organised crime and drugs ...that's obvious.
    the legislation your country is bringing in and the guantanamo bay spectacle would suggest the terrorists are winning as well.
    your fear factor is high ...the aim of terror ...and your rapidly erroding freedoms ...if any of it realy does have anything to do with terrorism ...shows that freedom is loosing and no one is loosing respect and freedom faster than the yanks.
  • Options
    Yeah let's remove CCTV and let criminals run riot. Not.
    As long as nobody watches me in my own home then I don't see it as erroding my freedom, the authorities have a duty to protect it's citizens from low lifes in public area's and this is a good way of doing it.
  • Options
    Londoners of the site who are videoed 200 times a day , do you feel oppressed?

Do you feel scared and terrified when you walk past a camera on a busy street in London?
  • Options
    Interesting question, you get used to it, and I think thats scarier than anything.

Its not so much the camaras its what is done with the result, with the new software coming of age it wont be long before the camara can adentify your face and follow you where ever you go, its this type of profiling that I find invasive. Its a short step between 'suspected' criminals and 'trouble makers', and then after that we're all fucked.

Remember once they take a freedom away from you its NOT coming back, all these measures are here to stay, dont kid yourself that they are short-term thing.

Draw your line in the sand and decide before its crossed how you will react.
  • Options
    I'm against the country becoming too big brother like when it comes to a DNA database and ID Cards, but CCTV is necessary in places in London where it's busy and their is trouble, like in Leicester Square. Also if you're from south London you'd appreciate the deterrent if you see the type of scum that walks our streets.
  • Options
    Doesn't seem much of a deterrent in Brixton I must say.
  • Options
    I like staging fights in the street so that the CCTV focusess on me and my friend, then running around so it follows us. Especially around the lamp-post on which it's mounted. A good lotta fun.

Anyway, to answer your question Monocrat. Why should you be bothered about CCTV if you're not going to break the law? It's there to keep us safe.
  • Options
    i now have cctv around my property! well, one camera, which isn't usualy switched on but there you go.
    it is a necessary evil that so far we have learned to live with but as bong says ...where is it moving to next with profiling and stuff?
    you are right about lost freedoms never being regained as well bong ...i keep trying to warn the yanks about it!
    what realy gets on my tits is the fact that millions of people are rushing out to by picture phones. self survielance!
    'i left the pub half an hour ago dear'.
    "show me".
    you'll be able to download street scenes to prove your not where you realy are i suppose.
    picture phone? ...no thankyou.
  • Options
    Yes , as I have said before , only criminals or potential criminals have anything to fear from public CCTV surveillance.
  • Options
    I have nothing to hide.

CCTV stops a lot of potential crime, which is better than having a crime committed and wasting taxpayers money on prosecuting those who could have been deterred had CCTV been in place.

It also helps prosecute those who are stupid enough to committ crime where there are CCTV cameras. Criminals are caught via CCTV everyday.

They have CCTV in shops, that has nothing to do with the govt. and they are able to detect shoplifters stealing. In the street CCTV can be used to capture car thiefs.

I have nothing to hide, so I don't give a damn about CCTV.

Monocrap - what with all these infringements of your rights you must be packing your bags between postings.... ready to head off into the land of the free.....
  • Options
    Originally posted by The Matadore
    Yes , as I have said before , only criminals or potential criminals have anything to fear from public CCTV surveillance.

So let the police film criminals and not innocent people who have committed no crime.
  • Options
    must be getting tough for your average honest shoplifter these days.
  • Options
    Cctv is a good thing, it is there to stop criminals and to prevent crime, not to watch a normal average day person walking down the street, if you have nothing to hide then why worry about a cctv, i dont worry if i see them...nothing to hide.
  • Options
    and how will you feel if one day you do have something to hide?
  • Options
    Rubbish you have nothing to hide, thats total rubbish.

How about I follow you through all of your actions 24hours a day videoing everything, in and out of your house, go through your rubbish, track your every movement, pull up profiles on all your freinds and everyone you have dealings with?

Its not the point of whether you are a criminal or not, people have the right to some privicy, the right to live your life without interfearance.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Rubbish you have nothing to hide, thats total rubbish.

How about I follow you through all of your actions 24hours a day videoing everything, in and out of your house, go through your rubbish, track your every movement, pull up profiles on all your freinds and everyone you have dealings with?
    Strangely enough, this doesn't happen to ordinary folk who have not had dealings with the police or who are not suspected high profile criminals. You and I, well we're filmed occassionally.

If you don't like being filmed I take it you don't go to shops then? Most shops have CCTV, and many larger stores have store detectives who will follow you around.

I think you're going a bit OTT saying we are filmed 24 hours a day. Perhaps you are saying that is how you feel CCTV is becoming? Well move away. Don't live here then. I for one am in favour of CCTV and would welcome more of it in areas with high crime rates.

You make no comment whatsoever on the fact that CCTV is used to deter a lot of crime. Take an incident a few weeks ago when a man was caught on CCTV trying to abduct a girl. It was caught on CCTV and the Police were sent. That girl was neither raped or aducted thanks to CCTV. Monocrat, would you advocate that CCTV be removed? In that instance a girl was being attacked and perhaps abducted. She could have been dead now. This is just one instance of where CCTV works.
  • Options
    I was going over the top to prove a point, I just hate the arguement that 'if your doing nothing wrong then you've got nothing to hide'.

I aggree with you though, CCTV is in many shops and in public areas and in theory I dont have a problem with that, as such, my concern is with whats done with the data, what controls are put on its use.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda

I aggree with you though, CCTV is in many shops and in public areas and in theory I dont have a problem with that, as such, my concern is with whats done with the data, what controls are put on its use.
    The problem with data is we are tracked by so many other souces anyway - everytime you use a credit or debit card there are multiple records of it - on your starement, with your bank, with the shop. Firms know who you are and how you spend. And spending is power, it defines who people are. Every time you use your mobile phone, the number you call and the duration is logged in your phone, and on your bill, and with the phone company. Same goes for when you use your landline phone.

Personally, I think people should be more scared of the information that ruthless corporations have on us. Many large firms have files on customers - the ones who spend the most (how can they be lured to spend more? ), the ones who don't have any money (how can we make sure we don't sell to them?).
  • Options
    If i did have something to hide of course i wouldn't like it, but if you are only walking along the shops and there are cameras i dont care about that really.
    bongbudda, if that happened following you 24 hours a day with and videoing, that would be a complete invasion of your privacy and dont support that at all, yes they do have the right to live without interfearance, what would you do if they started putting cctv near your home with your house on the film what would you say about that?
  • Options
    We do have the Data Protection Act you know which limits what data can be used by companies about people, how long it can be stored etc.

I dont want to always have to protect 'big business' because I have reservations about the system we have too, BUT companies work within the rules that are set and enforced for them, who makes the law? If you want business to behave in a different way then complain about the government.

The business of business is business.

Shogun; As for CCTV near my house, I would ask why it was needed and attempt to gain justification for their position. If there wasnt then I would complain and campain against it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by monocrat
    So let the police film criminals and not innocent people who have committed no crime.

So camera's should have a criminal radar or something? How can they film criminals if they aren't constantly on?
  • Options

that is a very stupid thing to say...how can they just monitor criminals and not normal people as well...oh oh look there's a criminal, turn the camera on, catch him :rolleyes:
  • Options
    You know that it breaches your Human Rights to be filmed without your permission, don't you? At least you do if it is used at anytime.

You actually have the right to see any footage in which you appear... whether used or not.

Try asking for the police to show you though...
  • Options
    Yep, its covered in the Data Protection Act, try getting any company to give you the film though and I'd be surprised if they were helpful.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    You know that it breaches your Human Rights to be filmed without your permission, don't you? At least you do if it is used at anytime.

You actually have the right to see any footage in which you appear... whether used or not.

Try asking for the police to show you though...
    I don't care if it breaches my human rights. It isn't something that harms me in any way, shape or form.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    I don't care if it breaches my human rights.

The Govt love people who say things like that. Easy prey.

How many other rights don't you care about? Losing the right to freedom of speech won't *harm* you, but I doubt you'd give it up so easily.

This is about the right to walk freely without being under the constant scrutiny of the Govt. It makes no difference whether you have anything to hide or not, by monitoring everything you do [within the scope of the cameras] they Govt is effectively suggesting that you are guilty of something, they just haven't found out what yet...

If they have no reason to suspect *you* then why do they need to watch you?