Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Alcohol Abuse

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I think my brother has a drink problem. I can't talk to him about it he's too stubborn. Half of it stems from this I think - he says stuff like "I can easily drink 2 bottles of Vodka without getting drunk" and he keeps saying he knows his own limits. He thinks he's a bit of a superman sometimes; like he's the best in the world at everything and knows everything there is to know. But he doesn't listen to anyone else. One day he was dehydrated (Thailand does that to you") and he drank 3 strong cocktails. Next morning he kept saying he was ill and when I mentioned it might be a hangover (since it was ok by about 4pm) he went off the wall saying on a normal night he drinks 10 cocktails - and that he knows his own limits. Maybe he's right. But he won't even 'think' about the possibility of a problem. I spoke to my dad and he agrees with me. But we can't confront my brother because he was suicidal a while back and he's still a bit.... mentally... i don't know. He's not mad just a little vulnerable and if his mind takes too much he could snap and everything - he's very volatile you don't know what he's going to do.

Sorry I didn't put this in paragraphs.... any and all input will be greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Options
    One of my friend's older brothers was like this and was too stubborn/ignorant to stop drinking.

Now he's been told that half of his internal organs are giving up so he has to choose between drinking and living.
    He's apparently said that he won't stop drinking though so he will be dead before long...and he has young children too :(

I think you're brother needs to realise what he's doing to his body before it's too late.
  • Options
    There isn't much that can be done until your brother admits to himself that he has a problem, that is when he can only start to get off alcohol or slow his use down a bit.
  • Options
    Useful article

Living with a drinker