Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The crime of hurting people's feelings...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Should offence really be legislated against?

Who defines what offence is anyway?

Television programmes have to be veted for 'taste and decency'. Why? Like offence, isn't this subjective in nature?

The right to free speech and free action -- subject to not causing physical harm to others -- ought to trump hurt feelings. Offensive speech should be dealt with like all other boorish talk -- refined people should argue against the points made or shun the speaker. Politeness is a social virtue, but should not be a legal requirement.

Comments

• Options
    There should never be a law to be able to be prosecuted for hurting someones feelings :rolleyes: it's just something you do and have to accept it if it happens you, i don't hurt peoples feelings on purpose and when i do which is rarely it had to be done.
  • Options
    whaa? i'll be back in jail soon i can see it. how many don'ts are there in my life?
  • Options
    There's a minor kerfuffle in the states about Channel 4's 'Banzai!' stereotyping the Japanese. Daft, I call it.
  • Options
    Offence isn't legislated against, is it? :confused:

Quite rightly, some forms are, like racially motivated crimes, but they involve other crimes at the same time.
  • Options
    There's a minor kerfuffle in the states about Channel 4's 'Banzai!' stereotyping the Japanese. Daft, I call it.

Banzai is a genius program , one of the funniest on TV.

'Place your bets NOOOOOOOOWWWW!'
  • Options
    Re: The crime of hurting people's feelings...
    Originally posted by monocrat
    Should offence really be legislated against?

It's a civil action, not a legal one. That is how it should remain.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Uncle Joe

So? They should just live with it.