Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Education

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It makes perfect sense. :)
  • Options
    OK..:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by monocrat
    I oppose a minimum wage because it can cause unemployment.

Anything can cause unemployment - the only way to guarantee no unemployment is to become Communist! Are you suggesting we become Communist Mono? :lol:

Incompetent management can lead to unemployment; Companies giving shareholders too large dividends and therefore underinvesting in their company can cause unemployment; A bad advertising campaign can cause unemployment.. do you see where I'm going with this? Anything can cause unemployment and in fact the evidence from four years of the minimum wage of falling unemployment shows the opposite is true - and that is a fact.
  • Options
    Unemployment has been falling for over ten years and in periods when there was no minimum wage.

'Incompetent management' is irrelvant. Unemployment has been falling because the economy has been growing at a steady rate.

The government were lucky not to have set the minimum wage at TOO HIGH a level.
  • Options
    Unemployment has been falling for over ten years and in periods when there was no minimum wage.

'Incompetent management' is irrelvant. Unemployment has been falling because the economy has been growing at a steady rate.

The government were lucky not to have set the minimum wage at TOO HIGH a level.

Yes and it has continued to fall after the introduction of the minimum wage despite the predictions of the CBI, the Institute of Directors and the Tories that it would increase.

Incompetent management is the major issue behind all British business failures, to be honest Britain has some of the most incompetent managers in the world. Who is responsible for the pension shortfalls? The managers who decided to give their workers pension surpluses to parasitic shareholders instead of saving it to cover the stock market downturn. Who is responsible for stupid branding schemes which cost millions of pounds and then have to be withdrawn such as Consignia? The managers. Who is responsible for disastrous performance at firms like Marconi and BT? The managers who award themselves hundreds of thousands of pounds in salaries, golden hellos, golden goodbyes, bonuses, share options and perks while running their firms into the ground. Far from being irrelevant it is the key behind almost all our business failures.

How high is too high? £2.00? £3.00? £4.00? £5.00? When the government set the £3.60 rate that was said to be too high, when they upped it to £4.20 that was said to be too high - time and time again these predictions are proved to be false. £4.20 hasn't caused the millions of unemployed predicted in 1999 so why should £5? Maybe if we cut out the incompetent bosses feathering their own nests and inefficencies in British business we could afford a decent minimum wage.
  • Options
    I oppose a minimum wage because it can cause unemployment.
    Look at the words you have used there, it can cause unemployment. Why should we legislate because of potential harm? I am pretty sure you've used this argument yourself before in other cases - why legislate for potential anything? Why not just see what happens and deal with the bad stuff when and if it happens?
  • Options
    Hmm, still waiting..... :chin:
  • Options
    What I said isn't contradictory.
  • Options
    What I said isn't contradictory.
    Yes actually it is. I advise you put your political theiry books down for a few moments and get out a dictionary.

What you have said in the past is that the government should bot legislate for potential harm but deal with the outcome when harm arises. I see why this should be no different. Why not have a high minimum wage? It might cause unemployment, but so what?
  • Options
    Minimum wages can harm the economy. I see a difference between THAT and drink driving.
  • Options
    Minimum wages can harm the economy. I see a difference between THAT and drink driving.

Let me get this straight - you are prepared to legislate against something that could hurt the bosses pay packets, shareholders profits and a faceless business organisation but you are not prepared to legislate against something that could destroy a human life and cause huge amounts of grief for their loved ones?

So in other words as little as few hundred pounds is more important to you than a human life?
  • Options
    Originally posted by kevlar85
    Let me get this straight - you are prepared to legislate against something that could hurt the bosses pay packets, shareholders profits and a faceless business organisation but you are not prepared to legislate against something that could destroy a human life and cause huge amounts of grief for their loved ones?

Yes. :)

So in other words as little as few hundred pounds is more important to you than a human life?

It depends on whose life, no?