Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Fighting Helps Your Relationship?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Has anyone found in certain circumstances a good argument can help your relationship, like clear the air and cobwebs away.

I've just had an argument with someone I really care about and although it was painful to go through we overcame it and have come to better understand each other and I think perhaps to gain even more trust and respect of each other then we had before - because we managed to work our way through it.

Anyone else have this happen to them?

Comments

• Options
    Arguments are good as long as they dont happen constantly and the outcome has more benfits than damage. Thats really cool that you and ur loved on have gotten through arguements, she must be a lucky girl to have someone like you care. :)
  • Options
    I am a big believer in fighting helping relationships. Fighting every now and then gets everything out in the air, stops things getting bottled up and relieves stress.
    I just think it's healthy
  • Options
    Fighting is good if it works out like you said Diamond Geezer. It`s like that with my lovely man now. It`s not so good if it ends up in a big punch up. :/
  • Options
    When couples have arguments (not huge ones), it relieves stress and tension. If something is annoying you or you're on the brink of an argument, don't hold everything in. Keeping everything bottled up could lead to some problems in the future.

So have a good argument at each other every so often, as long as you don't hurt each other badly, it will have a positive outcome.
  • Options
    i never really looked at it that way but yesterday someone very close to me said something similar and it got me thinking about it.....
  • Options
    Fighting can be healthy. Most definitely. Somethings need to be aired, especially if they're gonna be kept closed in and eat away at you.
    I hate it when some blokes have the theory to just let women have their way with "Yea, whatever, you're right" and just leave it at that. I dont want/expect a full blown row but i do at least want a lil constructive criticism/opinions/feelings.... If that makes any sense! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    it's healthy if you can laugh about it afterwards, or use it to build on.

if you're just at each others throats all the time it's not so healthy.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blnde_BombShell
    Arguments are good as long as they dont happen constantly and the outcome has more benfits than damage. Thats really cool that you and ur loved on have gotten through arguements, she must be a lucky girl to have someone like you care. :)

Yeah you're right, the odd argument is an opportunity to say some things people would normally keep to themselves. The real key I suppose is how often they happen and how the people involved deal with them.

If there's arguments all the time then that's no good at all, but if on the odd occassion then that's OK.

Some people just exchange words whilst lesser people would exchange blows, as long as the two people involved know that even in the heat of an argument they still love and care for each other - then usually things work out OK.

I also think part of the key is to never use personal information you know about someone against them. If they've let you into their hearts by making part of themselves vunerable then that should be kept seperate and out of the argument.

And often the arguments are about the way the two people see the same situation, if you can bring each other to see things from each other's point of view then I think that helps a lot.

And by the way .... I think I'm the lucky one :)
  • Options
    Me and my girlfriend usually have arguments(most of the time small) bout every month.(strangely its usually when she has got PMT!)But after every one the relationship gets better and the thing we had an argument about doesnt happen no more!

So every once in a while it is healthy!
  • Options
    Anyone else noticed that each reply to this thread has been exactly the same?
  • Options
    I find arguments quite theraputic, like a good old shouting and bawling proper verbal assault totally blows the cobwebs away, am I weird? :eek2:

Unfortunately my boyf is a very passive person and our arguments tend to just be me shouting at him :rolleyes:
  • Options
    me and my partner dont fight.

We have disagreements and yes, we've been more 'talkative about issues' recently because of whats been going on, but in general, we dont have any issues to discuss. We've never had an arguement where we've started shouting at each other, or called each other names.

As I say, its only been recently with the termination that we've had any issues to talk about, but they've never ended in an argument. We work well together as we know when to just leave the other to it.

We go out all the time with our mates and not with the other one, so we are able to accept that we need more than just each other, which is great as we know the other isnt going to be offended if we say we need or want to be alone for a bit.

And its a fact of life that people do need a little bit more.

We've been together very happily for over 2 years now, and nothing has ever got to the point where i've thought 'my god this isnt working' or whatever. Ive been much more paranoid recently, but again, thats just because of whats been going on with the baby business, i am very concious that i make him happy and everything, but we're working on stuff, and im learning to understand that he's ok.

I think in some respects, for some couples, arguements are healthy if thats the only way they can get things off their chest... but we're absolutely fine and so i've never found it beneficial to us, in fact - we've never had an 'argument' so I wouldnt know if its beneficial to us or not... but so far we've been fine without them!
  • Options
    I don't think fighting is healthy, but some arguments/dissagreements can clear the air a bit.
    They're inevitable in any relationship, especially when you live together. Just as long as they're rare, and that nobody feels hurt from them.

Mr_Wobble ;)