Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

University health centres

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi everyone, I'm off to uni in september, and am probably going to register with the university health centre. But I was just wondering what experience you lot have had of them (if any!). I'm just not sure if they're as good as normal g.p surgeries basically, and I have a long term health problem so need a good service. Are they specifically geared at student issues, like contraception etc, or are they really good all round? Thankyou, Tates xxx ;)

Comments

• Options
    Re: University health centres

my old one (leeds) was really good for everything. only thing was, if you need to call an emergency doctor, they didn't like to come out. but in the end we took her to casualty anyway, ao it was all good in the end.... (long story).

if you're not sure, why not just register with a local doctor?

:)
  • Options
    Re: Re: University health centres
    Originally posted by legal junkie
    only thing was, if you need to call an emergency doctor, they didn't like to come out.

That`s ALL doctors!
  • Options
    The one in Durham is very good, its tied in with the largest loacl surgery in the city. But I dont know how accurate an experience this is- in Durham the university IS the city.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: University health centres
    Originally posted by Miffy
    That`s ALL doctors!

true, but they didn't like to come out as in would not come out. under any circumstances.

they told us if she (housemate) was THAT ill, why didn't we take her to hospital.

most doctors will come out, with a bit of persuasion, they just tell you it'll be in 8 hours time or something stupid.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    im in edinburgh and mine is great. they are all lovely doctors and the nurses and support staff are ace. they will bend over backwards to help you. i much prefer my uni health centre doctors over the ones at home :)
  • Options
    my Health centre at Heriot-Watt is much better than my GPs at home. They're really friendly and well-up on all sorts of usual student type problems.

Last time I went I had food poisoning, and I was supposed to be paying for my prescriptions cos I hadn't got round to filling in one of those forms. Anyway, the doctor gave me some pills out of his stock cupboard so that I didn't have to pay the prescription charges.

I can usually get an apointment within 2 days as well at uni, which is a vast improvement on the 2 weeks I have to wait at home!
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: University health centres
    Originally posted by legal junkie
    true, but they didn't like to come out as in would not come out. under any circumstances.
    most doctors will come out, with a bit of persuasion, they just tell you it'll be in 8 hours time or something stupid.

Not round here they won`t. Last time I called them in an emergency it was 6 hours before I even got to speak to anyone. And I thought someone might have meningitis.
  • Options
    My uni was only a small uni and the local doctors visited the campus twice a week. I only went to see the nurse a few times about pill stuff but she was really good and very helpful :)