Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Universal rights?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Should rights be universal in nature?

Or should rights be subject to the society one lives in?

Comments

• Options
    A question of "should" has little relevence to the real world anyway. We're not going to change anything.
  • Options
    Shit, that answers my question...:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by monocrat
    Shit, that answers my question...:rolleyes:

What is your question, youve lost me :confused:
  • Options
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You can read can't you? :p
  • Options

You can read can't you? :p

No need to be so patronising. Not her fault if she can't make sense of your posting style that has led to your new nickname of Monocrap, especially when she actually posts well and responds to questions others put to her... Monocrap. :p
  • Options
    I'm 'patronising' because my statement was clear.
  • Options
    I'm 'patronising' because my statement was clear.

No your question is not clear, so tell me what the hell your asking?

Shit is that too hard for you to do? you knew I didnt understand the question so you decided to try and take the piss :rolleyes:
  • Options
    :no: :no:

I simply asked if rights should be universal in nature, or whether a person's rights should be dependent on the society in which they live.
  • Options
    Re: Universal rights?
    Should rights be universal in nature?
    Yes they should.
    Or should rights be subject to the society one lives in?
    No, they shouldn't.
  • Options
    Any explanation as to why?
  • Options
    :no: :no:

I simply asked if rights should be universal in nature, or whether a person's rights should be dependent on the society in which they live.

:eek: :eek: :eek: Oh my god! Monocrat answered a question!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:
  • Options
    for fucks sake will someone help me here :lol:

what the fuck does he wanna know :lol:
  • Options
    I give up. :lol:
  • Options
    Any explanation as to why?
    No. You never give any reasons other than the same tripe about infringing the rights of others, blah blah blah.

Becky - ignore him.

What He would like to know is, do you think that all humans deserve the same rights, or should their rights differ depending on their society?

For example, in our society (the western world) we have the rights to free speech, but in some nations they don't. Is that fair? It could be argued that no of course that is not fair, but some people say we do not have the right to impose our own laws on others.

Take a tribal society. Perhaps their law states that women are pocessions of their men and should do everything they say. However, in our nation we would find that silly. Women have equal rights to men but in their society they don't. Some people would say that the people in those societies have lived by those rules and will continue to and we should not enforce our own ideals of what constitutes a person's rights on another society. Does this make more sense? He wants to know if our "civilised" society is really in any position to impose our morals on others who don't follow ours - can we really decide what "rights" everyone should have, because they may go against what their society sees as "right". Meh, hope this makes more sense?
  • Options
    I give up. :lol:

Ok what rights are we talking about, hell there are millions?

Explain yourself then you might just get replies :rolleyes:

Like are we talking about freedom of speech? freedom to come and go as we please? freedom to break the law?

Come on help me out :lol:
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    Becky - ignore him.

NO !!!!!!! I like taking the piss outta him :p

and thanks for helping me out :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Ok what rights are we talking about, hell there are millions?

Explain yourself then you might just get replies :rolleyes:

Like are we talking about freedom of speech? freedom to come and go as we please? freedom to break the law?

Come on help me out :lol:

Well there is no established right of 'freedom to break the law', as far as I know of.

I was referring to natural or human rights, which are supposed to be universal in application.

The principle opposition to universal rights is that a person's rights should be determined by the society in which they live.
  • Options
    No. You never give any reasons other than the same tripe about infringing the rights of others, blah blah blah.

Who are you to state what I can believe?
  • Options
    Who are you to state what I can believe?

ah tis ok thats our Simone :)

and she has every right to state her opinion, just like you do. Only she explains herself a little bit better than you do.............just a little bit like :)
  • Options
    Well there is no established right of 'freedom to break the law', as far as I know of.

what about drink driving? you say thats ok unless your caught :confused:
  • Options
    My opinion isn't fact. :)

Drink driving is wrong because of potential harm caused. I think only ACTUAL harm from drink driving should be prosecuted.
  • Options
    But, according to your law there should be. If you had your way, nothing would be illegal unless it infringed the rights of another person.

Also, show me where I told you what to believe. You are making it up as you go along. I seriously doubt your age sometimes. You are like an argumentative five year old - you stamp your feet making the same point over and over again. And nobody cares.
  • Options
    Drink driving is wrong because of potential harm caused. I think only ACTUAL harm from drink driving should be prosecuted.
    What about near misses? Say someone loses control of their vehicle and hits a lamp post but only missed the person standing next to it because they jumped out of the way. Is it ok to patch the drink driver up and send them on their merry way.

It is quite obvious that you have never been the victim of anything tragic because your views of the world are so blinkered and so naive. You have very little grasp on reality, and I think you have taken your philosophy and decided that even though in practice no philosophy can work, you will stick to it no matter what.
  • Options
    My opinion isn't fact. :)

no its just a fecking joke :lol:
  • Options

Drink driving is wrong because of potential harm caused.

No Drink Driving is breaking the law :rolleyes:
  • Options

It is quite obvious that you have never been the victim of anything tragic because your views of the world are so blinkered and so naive. You have very little grasp on reality, and I think you have taken your philosophy and decided that even though in practice no philosophy can work, you will stick to it no matter what.

And I get criticised for making unsubstantiated remarks? :lol::lol:

How do you know for sure that nothing 'tragic' has happened to me?
  • Options
    But, according to your law there should be. If you had your way, nothing would be illegal unless it infringed the rights of another person.

Yes. I think victimless crimes should be legal.
  • Options

I was referring to natural or human rights, which are supposed to be universal in application.

The principle opposition to universal rights is that a person's rights should be determined by the society in which they live.
    The Code of Human Rights is intended to be universal, and has been written with the intention of covering every conceivable circumstance.

However, it has been ratified by less than half countries that have signed it (and the US has now effectively withdrawn it's signature) so I guess sovereignty counts for more than the notion of one world under the same sky.
  • Options
    How do you know for sure that nothing 'tragic' has happened to me?
    You wouldn't be such a nob about things sucj as drink driving, and gun ownership. You come across as a middle class snob who is far too preoccupied with ideas and philosophies than with living life and experiencing real things. You would see quite soon how stupid some of your notions really are.
  • Options
    You wouldn't be such a nob about things sucj as drink driving, and gun ownership. You come across as a middle class snob who is far too preoccupied with ideas and philosophies than with living life and experiencing real things. You would see quite soon how stupid some of your notions really are.

My notions aren't stupid at all.