Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

High heart rate?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey all. The other day in my health and social lesson at sixth form, as we're doing a health and fitness topic, we were playing with some equipment, including a blood pressure monitor.

Anyway, everybody tried it, and then I tried it. The only problem was that my results were so much higher everybody else. Everybodys heart rate was around 60-70, and mine was 100 and something.. :confused: My teacher looked pretty puzzled and started making a pretty big deal about it :( but said maybe its to do with the equipment not being the right size (i'm really skinny..so..) But I don't really see why that would effect it so much, as it was still tight ariound my arm and stuff.

Is it anything to worry about? I'm a really anxious and nervous person anyway, and can always feel my heart racing when i get nervous or embarassed and stuff, so maybe thats just it? Having a fast heart rate is nothign serious, is it? :S

Comments

• Options
    Go and get it checked out by your GPs practice nurse. (Not the doctor - the nurse). Ask for a BP check and whilst you're there, tell her what happened. It could have been that you were nervous or excited or feeling emotional. Best to get it checked out anyway. :)
  • Options
    Do you smoke? Because if you had a fag before class then it would of raised your heart rate. Also coffie and Redbull can do the same. I think your find between 60-100 is quite normal. Like Bumble Bee said, It's best to see your GP.
  • Options
    Your resting pulse should be 72, give or take 10.

When you're exercising, it is safe to go up to 160. My mum's exercise bike has speed, distance, gradient and also a little meter where you can measure your pulse. If it's below 130 or above 160, the computer bit of the bike beeps until you slow down or speed up to get your pulse within those two figures.

I think that my own resting pulse is alright, at around the 70 mark. My problem though is stamina. If I run, I can keep my top speed for about half a minute and then my respiritary system is depleted of oxygen. In response, the heartbeat will kick up a storm going above 160.