Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Quitting smoking...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
[taken from my post in anything goes, was advised to post in here for more in depth ideas...]

My dad has offered me £100 to quit smoking. 25 quid every two weeks then 50 quid after 6 weeks...

so im going to do it, i need a new cpu so this money will get me started. I need major quitting tips, ive heard some before but just to refresh my memory....

I have decided to drink a lot of water as well, and might buy some sweets and chewing gum.

Comments

• Options
    Keep away from where you will be tempted.
    Keep busy and totally change your routine. If after dinner you have a fag, after dinner wash the pots or sommat.
    Drinking water is a good idea.
    Dont stock up on too many sweets because you could pile the weight on, what happens when you pack in is you feel hungry, its not that you are hungry but because you are not smoking eating is a way of just having some comfort.

The main bit of advice is to keep busy, while your busy you will not crave for a fag as much, if your sat doing nothing then you may start reaching for the fags.

Good luck and hope you do well :)
  • Options
    This links might help....

http://www.thesite.org/info/drugs/smoking/how_to_kick_the_habit.html

Or you can give these people a call Quitline on 0800 00 22 00

I gave up smoking about 3 weeks ago and it's not easy...when I've been drinking is the hardest. But I've just got so bored of giving up then caving in again- I've decided that this time I'm def sticking to it. My boyfriend ate a satsuma every time he fancied a smoke...it worked for him - but I think i'll just stick to will-power!

Good luck!

Lu x
  • Options
    There was another thread about smoking and I gave the perosn this advice...

drink water to flush out the toxins in your body

snack on raw vegetables to satifsy the oral anxieties suppresed by smoking.

avoid caffeine-based beverages which maybe increase your appetite

Try sucking on sugar-free lollipops if you need something in your mouth

I dont know if gaining weight wud be a problem for you. . . but if it is... try the suggestions i said.
  • Options
    I would also suggest that if you have like maybe some kind of patches in your area, to help stop smoking, I would suggest maybe using those. I had a friend who used those, who was a really heavy smoker and she said that they worked really well and she has not smoked since she has used them. They usually take about 2 1/2 months to fully use, if you smoke 10 or more fags a day, but if you smoke less then 10 it only takes about a month.

If you have those patch things, that help you to quit smoking, I would suggest Niccaret(SP?)CQ, the clear ones, if they are in your area.
  • Options
    You could go to your doctor and ask about the anti-depresant that helps you give up, my sister smoked for 15 years and gave up with that and said it was actualy easier than she thought.

Its called Welbutrin in the US, not sure of its name here though, begins with a z I think.
  • Options
    http://us.gsk.com/products/assets/us_wellbutrinSR.pdf (pdf)

or web http://www.mentalhealth.com/drug/p30-b04.html

if you can be bothered

not sure about using it for giving up smoking

ear acupunture can help as can hypnosis
    and as mentioned lots of water, fruit and veg