Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Dry Skin

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok well, a few days ago I noticed some dry skin on the corner of my mouth. It's kinda sore, and feels like the skin is cracking when I open my mouth wide (does that make sense?). It's got bigger, and redder, so I now have a (rather unattractive) red blotch on the side of my mouth. I've tried putting plenty of moisturiser on, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could help clear this up, without seeing a doctor? (I don't think it's serious enough to warrant seeing a doctor, and my doctor is usually running at least two hours late, and I don't fancy giving up an evening unless I have to lol).

Comments

• Options
    The easiest and simplest solution I can think of is some Lipsalve/chapstick from your local chemist. I'm not sure if E45 would be appropriate...
  • Options
    You could have a look at products like E45, they'll say if they're appropriate for use on your face or not. If they are, I'd give that a go first. You could also have a word with someone from the chemist, they'll have a better idea about what you could use, and can be spoken to whenever you have a spare few minutes! ;)
  • Options
    Coldsore.

TCP because it's probably the same kind of thing as a spot (or it is if it's what I used to get quite frequently about a year ago) so you'll disinfect it.

I never used to use moisturiser because I wanted to dry it out so it couldn't get ugly, but maybe the others are right - in which case E45 is really good, and also lip balm.

Does anyone remember that silly advert with the woman going into work wearing a huge black motorbike helmet? (if you haven't, don't ask.) That was for Zovirex which treated coldsores - you may want to ask your chemist.

Also, don't open your mouth too wide :p
  • Options
    carmex, and try not to streatch your mouth as to break the skin
  • Options
    It might not be a cold sore (that would be more like a spot/lump). If it's just a patch of red, inflamed skin that's cracked and sore it could be just a patch of dry skin, possibly a tiny bit of eczema. I get this quite often when I'm on holiday, not really sure why, I just have to moisturise it really well and try not to rub it/itch it too much.
  • Options
    Ok, thanks all for your help, I didn't even consider eczema. I'm pretty sure it's not a coldsore because it isn't like a spot/lump, and also I don't get coldsores. I'll try and get hold of some E45..didn't even consider that either. God, I'm dumb :)