Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

doctors

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
was at the eye clinic today and encountered a pr**k of a doctor. he was a shit, to be polite. i totally admire doctors and without them we would be screwed but some people shouldnt be doctors. most of the docs i have encountered have been great but ive met a couple of docs who are assholes( i know i know you get assholes in any job). to be a doc you need brains but a few lack the people skills required, anyone else agree? to the doc today i was just a hospital number, he had no time for me. he didnt care that i was a human with feelings or that i was someones daughter or sister etc etc. im getting treatment to stop me going blind and to him it was like nothing. he didnt tell me how my eyes were looking , nothing. it was like it was nothing major!!! but thats beside the point, his whole attitude stunk and i just thought ide have a rant.

ps before anyone says it im not lumping all docs together, i think ive made that clear though. the other docs who have treated me so far have been outstanding and i admire them greatly. i know thousands do a great job but the bad ones make their jobs harder!

END OF RANT !! :)

Comments

• Options
    Hehe I was having a conversation this morning with a few doctors who I'll be working with for some work experience before I start med school, and we're all agreed in the fact that the admissions system is not a good one for picking out good docs! I've seen a lot of w*nker medical students/docs in my time, and there are plenty more out there, getting ready to fill out their UCAS forms :eek:

The thing is with the admissions process, is that different people will look for different things. Some people concentrate more on the A levels, and others concentrate on a persons ability to interact with others etc. And speaking to the doctors today, they all agree that medical school changes people. It's a long, hard slog, and at the end of it, people can't predict how they are going to be a few years down the line, so admissions tutors tend to go for a mixed bunch of individuals, personality wise, so they're not all Type A, and will produce different docs in the end.

So, unfortunately for patients, this isn't going to stop a few bad apples slipping through the cracks, but at least you're not going to have to spend you're career working with them ;)

Or maybe this doc was just having A Bad Day. I always tell myself that for every bad doc, there are 3 good ones. Or maybe that's slightly over optimistic :p
  • Options
    [
    So, unfortunately for patients, this isn't going to stop a few bad apples slipping through the cracks, but at least you're not going to have to spend you're career working with them ;)

this is true!

Or maybe this doc was just having A Bad Day. I always tell myself that for every bad doc, there are 3 good ones. Or maybe that's slightly over optimistic :p [/B][/QUOTE] :)

no this doc wasnt having a bad day as ive had a bad experience with him before. nevermind, complaint has been lodged with head of department. we asked to see the head today and when we spoke to him later and said we had requested to see him he said we would have been waiting a long time as many people were wanting to see him and not the asshole one, does that not say something??
    nevermind , like you say its one bad apple. im sure he knows what he is doing but he has a bad attitude. still there are many many good ones out there who geniunly care about people and not just the money and status!
  • Options
    i was in the doctor's today with my rash, and he seemed to be in a right hurry to get rid of me. All i did was roll my sleeves up to show him the rash on my arms and before i'd even opened my mouth to say what had happened he was writing me out a prescription.

ok, so he might know straight away what it is and what i need, but i don't!! I asked what had caused it, because I thought it was either the sun or the lotion i'd been using, and he just said, yeah, that'll be the problem!

grrr :(

plus, i still haven't filled in my HC1 form so I had to pay £12.60 prescription charges :(
  • Options
    I'm pregnant and have been going to the hospital alot lately, seeing a different doctor everytime, most of them are black/pakistani/chinese... I'm not racist, however, I would rather be seen by a clear english speaking doctor, because a number of times i've been confused about what they are saying, as they phrase things differently.

Last time i was seen by a pakistani doctor, he said "your baby is small but that is because you have a small build, but that is ok!". The next minute he's saying that i need to be watched closely because the baby seemed too small.

That was about 3 weeks ago, and I'm still non the wiser as to what he was saying!

:mad:
  • Options
    Originally posted by xXxXxSarahxXxXx
    I'm pregnant and have been going to the hospital alot lately, seeing a different doctor everytime, most of them are black/pakistani/chinese... I'm not racist, however, I would rather be seen by a clear english speaking doctor, because a number of times i've been confused about what they are saying, as they phrase things differently.

I know exactly what you mean. Black/Pakistani/Chinese doctors are just as, if not more capable than British doctors, but many of them just can't comminicate well enough. Sometimes it takes you half, or more of your appointment just to be able to figure out the words, let alone rearrange them into a sensical order.
  • Options
    Ye every time i went to the hospital this pakistani always used to be my doctor i dont know why?but anyway i thought id broken my foot because i fell down the stairs:rolleyes: and he come in and really i understood one word and that was hello. so me and my dad sat there like:eek2: for about half hour of him talking, and then the nurse come in and i said we dont know what the doctor just said and she had to explain to us all over again, and then people wonder why they spend so much time waighting up the hospital its because no one understands the doctors, theres a big lack of communication!and to be honest i dont think you can be a good doctor if your not telling the patients whats rong or what they are gona do to you!no matter how qualified they are i think maybe they should have a few lessons on learning to speak so we understand, that way everyone understands whats happening and we wont have to wait so long up the hosp.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lil Laura
    I know exactly what you mean. Black/Pakistani/Chinese doctors are just as, if not more capable than British doctors, but many of them just can't comminicate well enough.

oh i totally agree. i saw a doc at the diabetic clinic once and he didnt have a clue how to explain things or didnt know what i was talking about. im sure he was a good doc though. the doc that had previously been treating me at the eye clinic was foreign but spoke perfect english and explained everything in terms i could understand, he was fantastic.
    the doc i saw the other day at the eye clinic is iranian and can speak english well so its nothing to do with that he just has no people skills and doesnt see people he sees numbers and figures not people with feelings who dont understand whats happening! he knows what he see when he looks at my eyes, i dont ! i have the right to know its my damn eyesight thats at risk not his, imnot there for his benefit, his job is to help me!
  • Options
    Do you watch ER? If not, watch it and look out for Dr Romano, I'm sure it'll make you feel better! (I'm hoping no real doctor could ever be as horrific as him!) ;)
  • Options
    Whats he been up to? which one is he? is that the one who lost his arm, man that was a shocker that episode! :eek: . is that doctor romano or have i got it totally wrong. i dont watch it as much since old georgy boy left :naughty: .
    never mind its just a shame that this doc in real life is such an asshole cos its not just me he will be upsetting, people have to deal with him every day!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tates
    (I'm hoping no real doctor could ever be as horrific as him!) ;)

Horrific?! Romano is my hero! :D:p Nah, I think a lot of Drs think like him, they just don't say it out loud...
  • Options
    I love the way people say "I am not racist but...." it is nearly always proceeded by a racist sentiment. :rolleyes:

My boss is Indian and she doesn't always speak clear Englsih, even though she has been here 40 years. However, when patients don't understand her they ask her to clarify, it is what you do! Are some of you thick? If you see a doctor and you don't understand what you are saying why don't you ask them?
  • Options
    I must admit I agree with you there bumblebee, If i dont understand what someone has said, then i ask them to repeat it, ESPECIALLY if its a doctor and its something important. I cant understand why someone would just sit there not understanding what someone was saying and just put up with it.
  • Options
    im sorry but with something as serious as someones health the doctor should be able to speak clear english all the time. you shouldnt have to sit through an appointment and ask again and again for someone to explain something cos they dont have the proper vocabulary! its not about clear speaking its about having the right words.
    anyway the point of the post is that i had a crap hospital appointment and the doc rushed me in and out, its not a racial attack so please dont turn it into one!
  • Options
    Originally posted by wee wuman
    im sorry but with something as serious as someones health the doctor should be able to speak clear english all the time. you shouldnt have to sit through an appointment and ask again and again for someone to explain something cos they dont have the proper vocabulary! its not about clear speaking its about having the right words.
    anyway the point of the post is that i had a crap hospital appointment and the doc rushed me in and out, its not a racial attack so please dont turn it into one!

I agree with you. Half the time the doctor would just say the same thing anyway, and you'd still be as clueless. If everyone asked their foreign doctor to repeat everything they said, waiting times would be twice as long.

And just because someone says 'I'm not being racist but..' and makes a comment about foreigners, doesn't mean it IS racist. Maybe they are just saying it to clarify to people who think 'you made a comment about black people - you racist!'. The comment wasn't prejudiced, it is a FACT that many foreign doctors don't speak good English. And sorry if you believe this to be racist as well, but when you go to a hospital appointment in England (or Scotland, or Wales, or Ireland), you should be spoken to in clear English. You shouldn't NEED to ask for things to be repeated.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lil Laura
    [

And just because someone says 'I'm not being racist but..' and makes a comment about foreigners, doesn't mean it IS racist. Maybe they are just saying it to clarify to people who think 'you made a comment about black people - you racist!'.

i agree, if you dont say that you rnt being racist people automatically assume you are being!

but when you go to a hospital appointment in England,

or scotland or wales or ireland (dont forget all of us)

you should be spoken to in clear English. You shouldn't NEED to ask for things to be repeated. [/B]

that is correct. as tax payers we are entitled to the best service we can possibly get as we ultimately pay for it! i am more than grateful to people who want to come to the uk and help other people but i think it is essential to be able to communicate properly with all the patients well.
  • Options
    Sorry with the Scotland/Ireland/Wales thing, I said England to re-enforce the English part; I didn't mean to forget anyone. I shall edit :)
  • Options
    I tell you what, why don't we tell all these "foreign" doctors to piss off then shall we? I mean, there'll be so many doctors left after that won't there? :rolleyes:

You are forgetting that the majority of doctors and GPs in this country are of another ethnic origin. If you aren't happy, then change GP. If you have a hospital appointment and you don't understand, then ASK. If you are afraid to ask then you really need to boost your self confidence in asking about your own medical treatment.

If it weren't for "foreign" doctors there would be an even greater skills shortage than there already is.

As for waiting times, they have NOTHING to do with the amount of time the doctor takes to explain something. They would rather you asked them to clarify themselves than you went away gossiping behind their backs. The reason waiting times are so long is because of people who fail to turn up (who take the appointments other people could have had) and a substantial amount of paperwork.

I hope you appreciate that if you have a hospital appointment, once you leave their office they will have about an hours work to do regarding your case after you have left! They don't do it straight away, oh no, they continue and see other patients before they leave for the day. Then they go home, and take that paperwork with them, and do it there. And sometimes they worry if they gave you the right advice. Sometimes they have to ring your GP to change your medication or give them a progress report, and write a letter to your GP just to say that they have seen you. Don't these people, regardless of whether you found them rude or not, or whether you could understand them fully (IMHO you should just grow up and ask them to clarify) - don't they deserve just an OUNCE of respect. I think far too many people take it for granted the NHS and underestimate just how much work these people do.
  • Options
    excuse me but i have great respect for doctors who respet me also. the whole post was about the arrogance of one doc i saw, iregardless of his fucking race. my point was that we had to ask the doc what was happening with regards to my eyes and wether the treatment was working ok! you see how happy you would be with the doc not coming forth with any information when it is your eyesight that is in the balance.
    as a tax payer i have the right to proper service. i have the right to information regrading my health (which i had to ask for). i have the right to be treated like a human being with feelings regardless of wether the doc does alot of work. we had requested not to see this doc and our request was ignored, thankyou. would you be happy about being rushed out the door and given little informmation when you are wondering day after day is your treatment working am i going to go blind regardless of the doctores race?i dont think so.
    dont tell anyone to grow up for having an opinion! :mad:
    try going back and reading my very first post pal!
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    I tell you what, why don't we tell all these "foreign" doctors to piss off then shall we? I mean, there'll be so many doctors left after that won't there? :rolleyes:

You are forgetting that the majority of doctors and GPs in this country are of another ethnic origin. If you aren't happy, then change GP. If you have a hospital appointment and you don't understand, then ASK. If you are afraid to ask then you really need to boost your self confidence in asking about your own medical treatment.

If it weren't for "foreign" doctors there would be an even greater skills shortage than there already is.

As for waiting times, they have NOTHING to do with the amount of time the doctor takes to explain something. They would rather you asked them to clarify themselves than you went away gossiping behind their backs. The reason waiting times are so long is because of people who fail to turn up (who take the appointments other people could have had) and a substantial amount of paperwork.

I hope you appreciate that if you have a hospital appointment, once you leave their office they will have about an hours work to do regarding your case after you have left! They don't do it straight away, oh no, they continue and see other patients before they leave for the day. Then they go home, and take that paperwork with them, and do it there. And sometimes they worry if they gave you the right advice. Sometimes they have to ring your GP to change your medication or give them a progress report, and write a letter to your GP just to say that they have seen you. Don't these people, regardless of whether you found them rude or not, or whether you could understand them fully (IMHO you should just grow up and ask them to clarify) - don't they deserve just an OUNCE of respect. I think far too many people take it for granted the NHS and underestimate just how much work these people do.

Oh dear, and here was me thinking they just gave us a prescription and went home :rolleyes:

I already said, a lot of the time you would find that the doctors wouldn't be able to explain themselves any better the second or third time round.

Are you telling me that if people spent twice as long in each appointment asking for clarification, waiting times wouldn't be affected at all? Would you like to tell me how that works? Would another doctor miraculously appear to see the person with the appointment after, who is left waiting while their doctor explains things to other people?

I have no problem with doctors from other ethnic groups. I already said in a previous post, they are just as, if not more capable than British doctors. But we, as the patients should be able to understand what is going on, without having to ask for clarification over and over. I once had a hospital appointment regarding migraines, when I was about 12. I had an Indian doctor, and both me and my mother had trouble understanding him. The two words we both picked up on and understood straight away were 'brain tumour'. We had to ask for clarification, but even for those few minutes, do you have any idea how terrified me and my mother were, thinking he'd just told me I'd got a brain tumour? With less serious stuff fine, but when you're told things like that you shouldn't be in any confusion at all.

And, like I said, when you are in a British hospital, you should be able to understand what is being said. In foreign hospitals fine, but in British hospitals, patients have every right to be spoken to in ways they understand. It's as bad as a doctor talking at you with thousands of medical terms, none of which you understand. I've no doubt that these people are brilliant doctors, and know what they are talking about, but you shouldn't have to spend half of your appointment trying to figure out what the hell you are being told!
  • Options
    I do realise thatits alot of work but to be honest they knew what they were getting them selves into in the beging and they do get paid for it its there job!And if there finding all this work to hard then they should leave, it doesnt bother me in the slightest that we have doctors here that are from different ethnic backround what bothers me is after waighting 5 hours to see them they talk to you and you dont understand what they say,and even when you do ask them again they say it the same so you still dont understand, if i asked him 10 times to repeat what he said im sure he would take offence!And im not thick fonr not askin and askin again and again to repeat himself because i just asked the nurse when he was gone.All im saying is this is a job where you need good communication skills, and some doctors just dont have them.
  • Options
    we had requested not to see this doc and our request was ignored, thankyou. would you be happy about being rushed out the door and given little informmation when you are wondering day after day is your treatment working am i going to go blind regardless of the doctores race?i dont think so.
    dont tell anyone to grow up for having an opinion! :mad:
    You should be thankful you get free treatment at all. You might also look into why you're paying taxes as a student. No I would not be happy, so I wouldn't be such a little wimp and I would ask the doctor to explain. I wouldn't just sit there and wait until I got out. As for requesting to see another doctor, he was probably rude to you because he knew you had asked not to see him. If you were in his position and you had to see a patient who requested someone else, would you be nice to them? No, I doubt it.
    I am not telling you to grow up for having an opinion, I am telling you to grow up because you're too fecking wimpy to ask someone to clarify themselves.

And I am GLAD your request was ignored.
  • Options
    Originally posted by sxy bunny grl
    All im saying is this is a job where you need good communication skills, and some doctors just dont have them.
    Why don't you tell them that then? Sheesh. The number of people who sit and complain to me "why hasn't the doctor seen me yet?" and "I've been here for an hour".... once they get into see the doctor they don't say a word. They are nice as pie. How are these people supposed to deal with you effectively if you can't even tell them how annoyed you are at either being seen late or because you can't understand them.

Where would you be without these people?
  • Options
    I didnt actually think you came across as racist at all wee wuman, but not even all british people speak the queens english. Im sure i couldnt understand everything a geordie said or someone with any strong accent, but its not their fault. I think people are turning it into a racist issue, when in actual fact its to do with people not standing up for themselves and admitting they didnt understand something.Its not hard to do.
  • Options
    Excuse me but i did say i couldnt understand the doctor, and as for weighting times there not gong to move mine forward because i complain, even though i did say i couldnt understand him the first second and third time i had him they still give me that same doctor and nothing has changed, So even when you do say shit all happens to change it!
  • Options
    You should be thankful you get free treatment at all. You might also look into why you're paying taxes as a student. No I would not be happy, so I wouldn't be such a little wimp and I would ask the doctor to explain. I wouldn't just sit there and wait until I got out. As for requesting to see another doctor, he was probably rude to you because he knew you had asked not to see him. If you were in his position and you had to see a patient who requested someone else, would you be nice to them? No, I doubt it.
    I am not telling you to grow up for having an opinion, I am telling you to grow up because you're too fecking wimpy to ask someone to clarify themselves.

i have paid tax from working full time since leaving school and am paying tax from full time work through the holidays, thanks.
    i was told by the head of department to ask to see him next time i went as i had saw him last tim so can it! i had problems with the doc before. we didnt ask not to see him we asked to see the other doc! and i wasnt asking for clarification i was asking to be told what the fuck was happening can you no read, i thought i was the one with the visual impairment! so i wasnt a wimp, i asked him are docs not menat to tell you what the fuck is happening?
    as for being glad that my request was ignored, if you were getting treatment to try and stop you going blind would you not the best service possible, oh no i guess you would be a marter and take what was given and be thankful!
    you can kiss my ass!
    goodnight
  • Options
    I am telling you to grow up because you're too fecking wimpy to ask someone to clarify themselves.

Wow that was really grown up.Im glad your request was ignored shit how old are you 5?
  • Options
    So you are saying that we shouldn't ask to see other doctors because they will take offence, but it's ok to say to them 'I've been waiting hours/you should have seen me before now/I can't understand a word you are saying'. Because they wouldn't take offence at that? :confused:
  • Options
    I didn't quite understand wee woman's post because it was so poorly written, as for what the other two said, just to let you know that I have read what you wrote and wish to clarify:

I am glad the request to see another doctor was denied because they haven't got the time or patience to piss about trying to slot people in. Try to realise just how busy these departments are. They cannoy always fulfil silly requests. Are you ok wee woman? Is your problem sorted? Will you live to tell the tale?

Your bad experience with this doctor is simply that, a bad experience. Stop moping about it and be glad you're ok.

And yes, I am 5 years old, quite obviously. :p As for being mature, I don't give a rats arse how mature you think I am, all I can say is, pot calling the kettle with regards to this:
    "Kiss my ass" :rolleyes: ;)
  • Options

Bumblebee thats completely out of order, You can give a good argument when you try, but throwing insults around isnt on.

this appears to have turned into 2 different arguments. the original one was about doctors being arrogant and short with people, which isnt on, although possibly i can understand some of them being under a lot of pressure, but thats no excuse to make your patients feel like shit, NOONE should have to put up with that.
    The other argument was about `those foreign doctors` not speaking clearly enough, which i think isnt as strong an argument and its a completely seperate issue from the first one. I think people should look at it as a self esteem issue in themselves, why they cant face asking a doctor to repeat themself - are you frightened of people in authority or something? Its important you understand what people say to you, and if everyone just sits there and pretends they understand when in actual fact they cant make out a bloody word of it, then the doctor cant be blamed for thinking they are perfectly inderstandable - nobodys told them otherwise.
  • Options
    no i am not ok , you really cant read. i am getting treatment to stop me going blind, doh! it is a serious condition hence i require proper treatment and a doc who will tell me what i need to know. so no im not fucking all right and yes i will live to tell the tale blind or not but you can still kiss my ass!