Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Does this man deserve the george cross?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Some of you may remember i young man, (liam attley) back in october being murderd in bristol. He was murded because he attempted to stop some young boys from being robbed in the street.

If you do not remember this inccedent click on the link below

http://www.epost.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=69368&command=displayContent&sourceNode=68920&contentPK=6374282

After Liam Attley died in hospitol from a stab wound a man from bristol wrote to the appropriate bodys and requested that liam should be awarded the george cross, being the highest honor a civilian can get. There was a huge backing from the people of bristol, especially from me and my friends as we knew liam prior to the incedent. however it all seems to have been forgotton now.

I personally think that liam does deserve the award as he risked his own safety, resulting in his death, to help other citizens.

With the trial of the attacker happening at the moment it reminded me about the brave actions of liam attley, and how he should not be forgotton for his sacrofice.

who here is with me, that liam attley should be awarded the george cross?

Comments

• Options
    I think he deserves it. :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by *Lisa*
    I think he deserves it. :)

thank you lisa :D , btw the attacker is pleding not guilty alougth, i police officer herd him admit "i did not mean to stab him in the heart" i few mates of mine were in court today, giving evidence on the case.
  • Options
    I agree, he deserves it
  • Options
    He got knifed down Canons Marsh yeah?

You gotta be fuckin stupid to try and stop a mugging there. Any sane person knows what goes on down there (and i frequent the area hehe)

Sorry but thats my personal view. Not saying what he did wasnt brave, but i dont think it deserves that.
  • Options
    I think he deserves it. We need more people like him, willing to step in and make a difference.

He was the friend of someone in my college group. She was in tears for weeks after the tragedy. He was apparently a lovely, charismatic bloke.
  • Options
    Originally posted by HunnyPot
    I think he deserves it. We need more people like him, willing to step in and make a difference.

He was the friend of someone in my college group. She was in tears for weeks after the tragedy. He was apparently a lovely, charismatic bloke.

he was a very nice guy indeed. Im sad that i didnt get to know him better than i did.

Bristol has one of the highest street drime rates in the country and we need people to step in and make a diference, if not what hope to we have.
  • Options
    Originally posted by beerboy
    he was a very nice guy indeed. Im sad that i didnt get to know him better than i did.

Bristol has one of the highest street drime rates in the country and we need people to step in and make a diference, if not what hope to we have.

Move away. That's what I'm doing when I have enough money.
  • Options
    Originally posted by HunnyPot
    Move away. That's what I'm doing when I have enough money.

Yep, im startin uni next yaer and im probly gonna move away and get the hell outta this city. I would like to go to bristol uni, but i have had enough of this city.
  • Options

What? You want more people to step in and be killed? That adds to the street crime rate!

It says all black youths bar one white one right. You see a black kiddy in the centre of Bristol with a knife, you dont fuckin mess around with them! You certainly dont let an innocent member of the public intervene. Especially if you were local and concluded black means St Pauls :crazyeyes

Get out there and sort out the communitys if you wanna see a difference made. Get some money together for the crappy areas (thats most then!) of Bristol if you wanna see the crime rate go down.

Ok end of rant!
  • Options
    If everyone steps in and helps, then we have nothing to worry about.

I suppose your morals are different from mine. If you can help a fellow man/woman then do it. If we dont look out for each other, who will?
  • Options
    If everyone steps in and helps, then we have nothing to worry about.

I suppose your morals are different from mine. If you can help a fellow man/woman then do it. If we dont look out for each other, who will?

I aint helping no one being threatened with a knife!

Sorry but no i aint putting my life in danger for the sake of a stranger.

A friend yes. Stranger no :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by LacyMay

Fair enough, its your life not mine
  • Options

If i saw someone being threatened with a knife or something like that there is no way i could just turn away and ignore it, whether it was a stranger or a friend. I couldn't live with myself, especially if the person was hurt or killed & i did nothing to help.
  • Options
    Of course he deserves it.

Lacy, the whole point about recognition through the George Cross is that someone puts their own life in danger to save another.

Whether he was stupid or not, isn't the point. That he did it, is. Put it this way, if he'd survived he would still have deserved it.

It's just the same as the VC for servicemen, a huge number of them recieve them posthumously.
  • Options
    Yes, I think he does.

I think he was very brave and he was standing up for others. I admire that in others. RIP.
  • Options
    If they were young boys then I wouldn't help them.
  • Options
    What? You want more people to step in and be killed? That adds to the street crime rate!

It says all black youths bar one white one right. You see a black kiddy in the centre of Bristol with a knife, you dont fuckin mess around with them! You certainly dont let an innocent member of the public intervene. Especially if you were local and concluded black means St Pauls :crazyeyes

Get out there and sort out the communitys if you wanna see a difference made. Get some money together for the crappy areas (thats most then!) of Bristol if you wanna see the crime rate go down.

Ok end of rant!

Black kiddy with a knife? uh I think you'll find it was the white kid that stabbed him. Lets not turn this into a racial issue.

And yes the man deserves the medal and some sort of memorial plaque. RIP.
  • Options
    Yup. Talk about the good dying young.:(
  • Options
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    Black kiddy with a knife? uh I think you'll find it was the white kid that stabbed him. Lets not turn this into a racial issue.

And yes the man deserves the medal and some sort of memorial plaque. RIP.

Uh dont even bother accusing me of being rascist.

How am i meant to know the kiddy who stabbed him was white? It said the group was all black bar one. I just assumed it was a black lad yeah. I aint a fuckin mind reader.

I just dont understand why he deserves a medal? Okay maybe i do cos he stepped in but no one forced him to.

Didnt they still hurt the lads he was defending though?
  • Options

How am i meant to know the kiddy who stabbed him was white? It said the group was all black bar one. I just assumed it was a black lad yeah. I aint a fuckin mind reader.

I just dont understand why he deserves a medal? Okay maybe i do cos he stepped in but no one forced him to.

The whole point is that noone forced him to intervene. He did it out of the goodness of his poor heart. Even if the kids were hurt, it's the principle of the thing.
  • Options

How are you supposed to know the kid was white? simple read the article.