Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

More on binge eating...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone know how to break a mental addiction. I'm talking self-harm, binge-eating and compulsive vomiting. I seem to have picked up the hattrick.

I don't need a lecture, I already see a counsellor, but if people have got practical solutions, diversion tactics or anything. Please! I'd love to hear it, I feel well guilty, I know I shouldn't be doing it. Please don't think I'm some lame, fucked-up attention seeker, because whilst I may well be fucked-up, I'm not out for attention.

Any ideas or advice?

Picc.
xxx

Comments

• Options
    Re: More on binge eating...
    Originally posted by piccolo
    Does anyone know how to break a mental addiction. I'm talking self-harm, binge-eating and compulsive vomiting. I seem to have picked up the hattrick.

why are you unhappy? im presuming you are to do these things. look at your life and see what needs changing and try to change it and yes i know its hard. accept the things that you cant change and try to change anything that you can. i sympathise with you. i used to binge eat and its a really hard thing to kick without anything else along with it. i seemed to stop when things in my life changed.

I feel well guilty, I know I shouldn't be doing it.

try not to feel guilty cos that only makes it worse, ie you feel bad for binging , you binged cos you felt bad so you eat more and it goes on and on!

Please don't think I'm some lame, fucked-up attention seeker, because whilst I may well be fucked-up, I'm not out for attention.

nobody with half a brain would think that. thats what the site is here for is to let people seek help advice and support. best of luck xx
  • Options
    do yu have anyone that you trust enought o talk to in depth? not a counsillor (sp) but a friend, partner, someone like that? i have mental addictions, and its slowly but surely breaking the cycle, by calling everytime, or just talking things through. this probably makes no sense, but i know what i mean! if you want to talk, PM me, im here often enough. :)
  • Options
    Thanks.
    The thing is that although I know I'm unhappy at school (it's a friendships thing), I can't see a way out of it, because I've been told that half the problem is my "moping"! :rolleyes:
    Talk about a vicious circle...:eek2:
    I have got people I can talk to, in theory, but they all have a lot on their own plates and I guess I don't feel that I can try to shovel my crap onto their compost heaps! (That's a terrible metaphor!) So I dunno, really. Perhaps this summer hol is all I need? Here's hoping. Mean time, if anyone does come up with anything, I'm still here!!

Ta loves, you're all great! :P
    Take care,
    Picc
    xxx
  • Options
    Re: More on binge eating...
    Originally posted by piccolo

Any ideas or advice?

Picc.
    xxx

Hi,
    I know you've probably read this already, but just incase .
    http://www.thesite.org/info/health/other_mental_health/self_harm.html
    http://www.thesite.org/magazine/specials_food/healthy_stuff/eating_disorders.html

Hope this can be of some help to you...

Take care of yourself,

Lu x
  • Options
    Everybody overeats from time to time. Continual binges lead to major health and weight problems. If you do find yourself eating out of control, put your food down and yell "stop." There is reverie assocuated with binging that can practically render you semiconscious.

I found this quote in Elle magazine; "Women tend to binge when they are angry or sad, or they use food as a source of comfort when alone or depressed. Obese men were found to binge in positive social situations when celebrating or encouraged by others to eat."

Create A Contract

Take the time to write out a contract with yourself. These 10 rules are a good start for terms you can live up to. Add your own resolutions to this list if you'd like. Take it out whenever you are tempted to break the terms of the contract.

1. I resolve to eat only when I am truly hungry
    2. I resolve to try a new fruit or vegetable
    3.I resolve to treat myself to a forbidden food once a week
    4. I resolve to limit the consumption of diet soda and other chemicals.
    5. I resolve to drink 8 to 10 glasses of water daily
    6. I resolve to exercise at least 3 times a week
    7. I resolve to replace a red meat meal with tofu
    8. I resolve to accept responsibility for my actions
    9. I resolve to think before I eat
    10. I resolve to take it one day at a time

My name...........
    My current weight........
    my goal weight.........
    reason for losing weight........
    signed..........
    date............

That is just a suggestion, but I highly recommend it.

Understand Why You Overeat

Everyone knows that food is a great teanquilizer. It creates a buffer zone from the hurts and issues that plague everyone's life experiences. Understanding why they turn to food rather than solving the problem has worked for the chronic binge eaters I know.

Stop Fighting Nature

When setting your goal weight, try not to squeeze into some "ideal" mold that you've seen in the movies or a fashion magazine. (for example) If you've never been a size four, chances are you are not meant to be that small.

I have alot more suggestions. . . if you want. . . busty_blonde_love@hotmail.com and ill tell you more. I just dont want to keep blabbing on if im just wasting space.
  • Options
    If you only binge eat when you're alone which is the most common, then try getting somebody to sit with you.
    Stay focused on something else, like hoovering(sad but it works!) and above all, just relax and think are you really needing to binge, find reasons within you why you are tempted and find other notions and alternatives to self harm. I agree alot with Blnde_BombShell because she said that you shoudl try and find a reaosn for why you overeat, I couldn't have said that better myself! If you can find out why, you're half way to stopping youself.
    Take care x