Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Clinics

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Has anyone ever attended an Brook advisory clinic or familt planning clinic?

Comments

• Options
    Yeh i have. I went for a pregnancy test at our family planning clinic. last time i ever went there. full of twelve year old skivvies with tracksuits on and 5 year old kids, which is very scary because that would have made them 7 when they gave birth, but hey - shit happens. anyway;

yes i have. didnt stay long though, they couldnt fit me in for ages so we went home. have never been to a brrok advisory clinic though.

how comes?
  • Options
    ive been to the family planning clinic loads. i used to go to get free condoms, then the pill, then a pregnancy test, then to arrange an abortion, then depo provera injections, then mirena coil. I think its easier than the doctor sometimes, as theyre mostly drop in clinics, and the doctors there really knew what they were on about and were really friendly.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    ive been to the family planning clinic loads. i used to go to get free condoms, then the pill, then a pregnancy test, then to arrange an abortion, then depo provera injections, then mirena coil. I think its easier than the doctor sometimes, as theyre mostly drop in clinics, and the doctors there really knew what they were on about and were really friendly.

I never got to see a doctor... ended up buying a test from the bloody chemist! we sorted my termination this time out privately so i never went then either. i got stared at when i walked in a year or so ago so im a bit put off nowadays, still it would never stop me. ours just seems like such a scrubby place, doesnt look like a medical practice or anything, in fact i wouldnt even go to the toilet in there let along let someone waggle there bits down my bits.
  • Options
    well the only medical procedure that was actually done there was the depo injections. everything else was just arranged from there, but done elsewhere. I found it very friendly and helpful.
  • Options
    I've been to both.
    Do you have a specific question?
  • Options
    No, I don't have any reason for asking really, just I always read in mags that you should go to one, and what friendly places they are etc, but to be honest, there isn't even a Brook clinic in my region and my nearest family planning clinic is in the town centre, but I've been to where it claims to be and it certainly is very invisible!
  • Options
    I've been to a family planning clinic for free condoms, and advice, and both those times, they were really nice and helpful. However I was treated by a very rude nurse and doctor once, but I think it just depends on the people who are treating you. Overall, it's an ok experience, but after changing GPs, I'm happier with her.
  • Options
    My first experience of one was when i went with a freind whilst she got a test done. It was unbelievable that all the people in there was 12/13 all having tests aswell! We knew their age because they were my mates sisters freinds!
  • Options
    Yeah, i have - there's a brook clinic round the corner from my school, so we were taken there for sex ed etc, and then i went back for condoms, and when i went on the pill. I also got tested for STIs there, but they don't do a full test.

It was ok, the first time i went to go on the pill i had a doctor who was really reluctant to give me anything because i was 15 (even though the point of these places are to give contraception to people who might not want to go to their doctors!) but i'm a bolshy individual, so i got my own way in the end :D

When i got STI tested, the doctor that did it was really nice, she was very understanding, talked me through everything, told me what to expect - and she heated up the duck billed metal thing under the hot tap for me!
  • Options
    Like sara said, we have one round the corner from college, which has come in VERY useful once or twice. Iam shocked there aren't more of them and they aren't easier to find, especially outside of London.
  • Options
    Have been to the family plannig clinic a few times, but not a brook advisory, the clinic is very clean and the nurses and doctors i have seen have all been lovely and very understanding and non judging.All seem very nice.