Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Tony Blair - Going for a 3rd Term?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The news are reporting Tony Blair is going to start preparing for a 3rd time around as priminister

In the USA the most you can serve is 2 terms as President.

Do people think this is a good idea to place such a limit?

Comments

• Options
    No.

Few British PM serve more than two terms.
  • Options
    The term limit does prevent someone from becoming like a monarch.

Does he have a good chance of winning?
  • Options
    His chances of winning would probably depend on how well public services have improved under his government. Also it may be depedent on how the Conservatives are perceived by the electorate; would they be a credible alternative to New Labour?

Even if (somehow) the Tories do win, they would need a swing of around 10% just to get a ONE seat majority!! Of course no government can survive on just one seat.
  • Options
    i would say yes. There isnt really much alternative too people. The Conservatives are divided and have very poor leadership. Id like to say the Lib Dems could have a chance, but that is unlikely. Though they could become the 2nd major party?

There is no limit on terms PNJ, and how could they become like a monach? The monach has no real power.
  • Options
    Like monarch's used to be...in their position of power for life.
  • Options
    yes, but they were not elected. They only got the power because they happened to be born into the royal family.
    *thinks of the scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail* ^^
  • Options
    Originally posted by monocrat
    His chances of winning would probably depend on how well public services have improved under his government.

Now either you are clairvoyant, or you heard that he announced today that this is what he will fight the next election on.

This worries me for two reasons. Firstly, because the perception is that he hasn't achieved in this area.

Secondly, it means more pressure for the public services to show that we are doing something. Big mistake, why not let us actually do, and prove it, rather than write reports and produce (doctored) statistics?

Example: In the past week I have written an interim report for my Trust Board, two mid-term reports for the DoH and 57 (yes fifty-seven) plans for improvements in my Trust. But I haven't actually changed a thing or tried to change a thing in that time. How does this offer value?

We have just been told that we must provide a "good news" story every month from now until the election. Yet to do this means writing.... you got it, another damned report.

Personally I am rebelling.
  • Options
  • Options
    Now either you are clairvoyant, or you heard that he announced today that this is what he will fight the next election on.

The 2001 general election was fought over public services and New Labour made their enhancement a priority. The improvement of public services has been the primary domestic issue in British politics for some time. Over the past year, the government has raised taxes and increased public spending to fund the NHS.

It's only logical that the electorate will judge New Labour on their ability to improve public services.
  • Options
    Blair was full of shit the first time round and he won't have improved.
    In 3 years he has successfully alienated the Middle and Upper classes, the people with the money and power, the ones who put him where he is.
    When he was first elected he promised to improve things, even though I don't recall there being any problems anyway. Everytime something gets worse he says it'll need more of our money. He can piss right off if he thinks I'm voting for him.
  • Options
    There's a part of me that wants Blair to lose the next election (pencilled in for October 2005 folks!) just so we can be rid of him and Labour can be saved from "the project".

What choice do we have in British politics anymore? We've become like America, you have the choice of a right-wing party or an even more right-wing party.

I'd like to provide you all with a story of Labour government in my area:
    The whole 1997 general election campaign in my constituency was fought on keeping the local general hospital open, the sitting Conservative MP had rebelled against the Major government and fought to keep it open but still it was the Tories who were going to close it and he was damaged by this. Then we have a young Blairite promising to keep the hospital open and he was elected with a large majority in this marginal seat. A few months in and the Labour government close my local hospital saying that the process has gone too far for it to be reversed which is - to be frank - complete BS. However, this hospital was to be replaced by a new PFI built "community" hospital, so the old working hospital was demolished and this area has gone without a hospital for years while the new one (due to open next year) has been built, together with some luxury apartments they were able to build on some of the land, however as with all PFI hospitals this one will have fewer beds and will not have an Accident & Emergency unit like the old hospital had as in the words of my local Labour councillor "It's too expensive". God knows how many millions of pounds were wasted on knocking down this hospital only to rebuild it for the only apparent reason so our MP can point to it and say to the public that the Tories closed down the hospital (which they didn't but it was so early into the 97 term that it's a popular myth) and Labour has built us a nice brand new one, together with some luxury apartments to give some profit to those nice PFI people.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you a perfect example of New Labour in government.
  • Options
    I hope some labour MPs are reading this:

Labour, WE DON'T TRUST YOU ANYMORE, you have lied to us too many times.

I sincerely hope that the people will get sick of it and demand that the Queen dissolve the current government and call for an election.
  • Options
    Yeah , Tony Blair wont be elected again.

Lets all vote Tory and have a nice good Conservative government again!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    i would say yes. There isnt really much alternative too people. The Conservatives are divided and have very poor leadership. Id like to say the Lib Dems could have a chance, but that is unlikely. Though they could become the 2nd major party?

Indeed. New labour are run by a fanny who's head is the shape of a lemon, Conservatives are run by somebody who dyes his eyebrows... But who's everybody going to vote for? Well, one or the other because a lot of people believe their vote won't count if they choose any other party.

But as for New Labour, they shouldn't have kept the word "labour" in their name, they should have been called the "pink tory party" or "America 2".
  • Options
    Originally posted by The Matadore

I didn't realise there had been one before.
  • Options
    Yeah , Tony Blair wont be elected again.

the words nice and good dont belong in the same sentance as Conservative. The Conservatives ruined this country in Thatchers reign. Privitising everything, there "were ok so who cares about the rest of you" attitude.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere

In 3 years he has successfully alienated the Middle and Upper classes
    Ok for me then, I'm definately working class.
  • Options

I totally, completely agree *nods enthusiastically* (and i didn't mean that sarcastically!)
  • Options

You're young, so I will make allowances for that ;)

Seriously. The reason that Public Services are in such a mess is the policies of the party you mention above.

Who privatised the railways?
    Who cut funding to the NHS year-on-year?

for example...
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    Ok for me then, I'm definately working class.

No, my point was, he has continually taxed the middle and upper classes whilst simply giving people who won't work the money.
    He has increased taxes in all areas to fix the problems that should have been fixed when he started, but now he says he needs another 4 years. Ridiculous, if his labour councils stopped hiring fucking social workers and beauracrats and "learning support officers" and whatever, who haven't made a single bit of difference to education, crime or health in this country then he'd have more money to spend efficiently.
    He's made a bollocks of a job he promised would be done first time round, not if he was reelected.
    Either get a prime minister who can do the job, or let the conservatives back in, at least they didn't fuck things up as bad as the current government.