Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Walking and running

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Was in my local doctors the other day and was reading a leaflet on a topic about walking and running: walking burns off the same weight and uses the same caleroies as running, so what is the point in running all the time? Just walk, keep it nice and slow and chill out.

Comments

• Options
    TRUE! there used to be an add on scottish tv saying the same thing so WHY knacker yourself!
  • Options
    But is that for the same distance or same time? If its for the same distance then you can run twice as far as you can walk in the same time so you use twice as many calories.
  • Options
    If this is true then why when on a treadmill does it say I burn 9.6cal/min at 5km/h but 28.6 at 10km/h? I honestly think you burn more by running, maybe due to the fact that you have to move differently (as well as quicker) than when you walk, ie you move your arms more and stomach muscles get more activity.
  • Options
    Running in short spurts helps you lose weight quicker than any jogging will do. When I do pre-season training for footy we always do short sprints rather than jogging at first. It gets you fitter quicker in time for the new season.