Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Pitched street fighting in Iran.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/07/09/iran.protests.reut/index.html

Brave, pro-democracy students are taking nutty radical Muslims in the streets of Tehran. I hope the CIA starts supplying these students with the arms they need to get the 100 perverted clerics out of power so millions can live as free Muslims with rights and joy in their lives.

Comments

• Options
    And then those CIA trained militants will go on to eventually bomb the *new* trade towers.
    Sensing a pattern?

And it's nice how the CNN is brainwashing you, in the UK or any other country with a reasonably free press the headline would be "Pitched fighting between democrats and radicals". or something similar.
    How about you turn it on it's head? Insane pro-democratic layabouts beaten back by the glorious forces of Allah?
  • Options
    "Pitched fighting between democrats and radicals".

that would be even more biased with that headline. This just said a pitched street fight was going on without laying blame on either side. I'm for the pro democracy students though. Bet the BBC isn't even covering it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    that would be even more biased with that headline. This just said a pitched street fight was going on without laying blame on either side. I'm for the pro democracy students though. Bet the BBC isn't even covering it.

because of course, american tv is so truthful.

BBC: A British plane was shot down by friendly fire today

NBC: A British plane was shot down in action today

and i think you'll find Whowhere's alternatation was in reference to your "Brave, pro-democracy students are taking nutty radical Muslims in the streets of Tehran"

you are an idiot. and i do not like your beliefs. although i find these points exclusive to each other.
  • Options
    Youd lose that bet, pnj. The BBC's coverage of world events far outdoes CNN and any other US news agency not only for breadth of topics covered but also for in depth analysis of the issues in order to put them into their proper context. No sanitising or editing out of any compicity by Western govt's (including the UK govt) when it covers heinous events.

US corporate owned media is too busy colluding with the Washington spin doctors to give you such thorough and complete information.
  • Options
    but aren't you happy for the students who want the same freedoms we enjoy?:confused:
  • Options
    I of course support any populist movement for self determination and liberty. But I do not support Bush's lies and militant threats or axis of evil crap when he and many of his administration perpetrate equally repressive brutality on people under the nose of the American public. Nor do I support their continued twisting of political realities to constantly divert the issue away from their own required accountability.

Let them adhere to the rule of law rather than placing themselves above it before meddling in any other country's problems.
  • Options
    I get the feeling pnj/jocko that 6 months ago you wouldn't have given a toss about "those students fighting for democracy against Muslim perverts". Just as you don't seem to give a toss about the well-being of the people of Pakistan, Yemen, Uzbekistan, or indeed any nasty little dictatorship that happens to be 'friends' with G. W. Bush or is of no importance to Washington.
  • Options
    Aladdin, you make liberal statements but you don't see that your stance would keep people like Saddam in power and these 100 clerics in Iran who are preventing basic expressions. Are you aware they even made stores take down Valentine Day card displays? Come on.

No, I'm always for democracy. The only difference between my dad and I is that I feel that his generation's liberalism..."it's all good" world culture values...allowed the murderers of 9/11 to enter America and use our laws to train, raise funds and plans the NY mass murder. So my feeling is: it's not all good.

The President of Pakistan has helped catch Al Qaeda operatives who could have murdered Americans. My friend's dad, who is a Pakistani Muslim, says you have to live in Pakistan to understand his hatred of extremist and terrorists. He's the one who came up with "Muslim perverts, people who are perverting the religion into a death cult." And I agree with him
  • Options
    Living aside the fact that your present and past governments are more than happy to ignore human rights abuses so long as the dictator in question can be useful to Washington, international law as within the UN frame (of which the US is a signatory) clearly states that no nation can attack and invade another nation just because its leader is a dictator.

I see that yet again you have no problem with Pakistan so long as Bush controls its President. Perhaps you would like to tell me then what you think of George Bush's newest friend President Karimov of Uzbekistan, a brutal dictator that boils people alive and forces 5 year old kids to work the cotton fields.

(Warning- Graphic images)
    http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article3943.htm

So, any thoughts on this? Are you or are you not prepared to stand up for the rights of the people of Uzbekistan and denounce your President as a cynical two-faced crook who is happy to form alliances with monsters every bit as bad as Saddam Hussein?

P.S. Who the hell was posting under your name yesterday?
  • Options
    Aladdin, thanks for the warning on graphic images. I don't want to see that I get too worked up. I still can't forget the pictures someone posted under "hey check this out" of Saddam's torture victims. I'll take your work on him being a bad guy. I was surfing all day yesterday in the Atlantic.

My impression is that someone times alliances have to be made with bad guys in order to fight other bad guys.

If you have time, I'd like your opinion on the moveon.org's efforts under the "this might be too american" post. My friend put that up for me yesterday.
  • Options
    You cant have it both ways pnj. If War is justified against one nation solely because their leader is an evil tyrant then the floodgates are open and one must take on all such countries. To do otherwise is in fact tantamount to colluding with the very crimes you base your wars on in the first place and thus makes our own govt guity as aiders and abettors of those crimes.

For your stance to be consistent youll have to start calling for the indictment of Cheney, Rumsfeld and several others in this administration as collusionists with Saddam's brutal genocide. Otherwise leave the determination of a nation's leadership up to the people themselves to decide.

Whether you like it or not, international law protects our way of life from foreign domination as much as it oversees the sovereignty of other nations' way of life. Doesnt make it acceptable, but without it we too may well be on the receiving end of invasion when our time as the superpower ends.

Im willing to bet that you wont be supporting invasions on spurious and fabricated grounds when its your neighbourhood being occupied.
  • Options
    when its your neighbourhood being occupied

:lol: Cape May? Well, there's this hairy guy should be arrested for wearing a thong on the beach.

But, I know what you mean. But, it is difficult for me to root for standing by and allowing people like Saddam to rule.
  • Options
    You and most of our countrymen didnt even give two thoughts about Saddam or Iraq until it was blazoned across your tv screens to serve Bush's long planned conquest.

You have to realise eventually that the real criminals which need to be pulled down are those in our own capitol who will glibly get you riled up on some issue of which you actually know absolutely nothing in order to justify actions about which they do not simultaneously provide you with sufficient information to fully understand the ramifications.

Its simple mob mentality dynamics at work and they know it.

Where were the warmongers and their heartfelt sentiment for the wellbeing of the Iraqi people when subsequent US administrations were adamantly obstructing any effort to remove the ineffective sanctions which were responsible for more widespread death and suffering than even Saddam himself?

These issues were not broadcast to you daily throughout the 90's simply because Washington is intent to keep its policy pursuits as much as possible outside the scope of public scrutiny. Thats the sham that belies all their claims of serving the American public, they serve only themselves and their elite cohorts.
  • Options
    check out the "this might be too American" post I had my friend post for me. It'll make you happy to see the Democrats finally have an issue for next year's presidential campaign.
  • Options
    I think many of us here would appreciate it if you ceased from allowing your friends access to your account. Post for yourself or dont post at all.

W've long since gotten sick of el jocko and his neanderthilic rah rah "we can do no wrong" nonsense.

One account, one user... change your password and spare us the guessing game.