Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Smoking in public places, return of the fag-end

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by fugue
    okay now by public places what do you mean. I know i must sound rather ignorant but what exactly do you mean by public places:confused:

Do you mean all pubs/clubs/resturants/shopping center etc.

Or do you also mean public parks and stuff like that?
    No, not public parks, because they are outside. I'm talking about all indoor public places like the ones you mentioned (pubs/clubs/restaurants, shopping centres etc):
  • Options
    rightio, well i think it should be banned in shopping centers but i think it's going too far to try and ban smoking in pub and clubs. It's just plain STUPID to try and ban it outright. :rolleyes:
    not aimed at anyone in particular.....:p

Are you seriously allowed to smoke in shopping centers?:eek2:
    that is soooo wrong, it's a big no no here.
    Also, a lot of our resturants are non-smoking, but in the city there are a fare few smoking/non smoking resturants. A few years back it was pathetic and there would just be half a way in between the two sections but now it's quite good.
  • Options
    rightio, well i think it should be banned in shopping centers but i think it's going too far to try and ban smoking in pub and clubs. It's just plain STUPID to try and ban it outright. :rolleyes:
    not aimed at anyone in particular.....:p

Are you seriously allowed to smoke in shopping centers?:eek2:
    that is soooo wrong, it's a big no no here.
    Also, a lot of our resturants are non-smoking, but in the city there are a fare few smoking/non smoking resturants. A few years back it was pathetic and there would just be half a way in between the two sections but now it's quite good.

Hey Fugue

What State are you from? I take it your not from South Australia because here smoking in ALL restaurants has been banned, however I think it is just this state that has done this????

The whole of Australia has banned smoking in shopping centres and work places, I am surprised that the UK haven't, although to tell you the truth I didn't even notice it that much when I was there last year :yeees: considering I am a non smoker.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Cinders
    Hey Fugue

What State are you from? I take it your not from South Australia because here smoking in ALL restaurants has been banned, however I think it is just this state that has done this????

The whole of Australia has banned smoking in shopping centres and work places, I am surprised that the UK haven't, although to tell you the truth I didn't even notice it that much when I was there last year :yeees: considering I am a non smoker.

i'm from nsw, i'm about an hour-ish from syd.
    I can't imagine going to the shops and having people smoking :yuck:
    and i used to be a smoker (still am when i'm pissed).
    cinders, what is you opinion on baning smoking in public places or a total ban?
  • Options
    i'm from nsw, i'm about an hour-ish from syd.
    I can't imagine going to the shops and having people smoking :yuck:
    and i used to be a smoker (still am when i'm pissed).
    cinders, what is you opinion on baning smoking in public places or a total ban?

I can't imagine going to the shops and having people smoking around me either, I guess because it has been banned for so long it would seem wierd :eek2:

In relation to my view on smoking in public places, I am very glad that they have banned it here in restaurants, the thought of trying to eat whilst having someone puffing away next to me is not pleasant :yuck: And the whole non smoking / smoking areas just doesn't work.

However trying to ban it in clubs and pubs seems a little excessive to me and will be hard to control. At my local pub there is an area to sit and have a drink if you don't want to be around a whole lot of smokers, it isn't totally effective, but it is pretty good.

An argument that has recently developed at my partners work place (and I assume others) is the fact that smokers pop out quite often for 15 minute ciggie break, the non smokers see this as being unfair as poping out for a 15 minute break for a cigarette can add up if you do it a number of times per day, while of course they are still inside working away. As far as I am concerned, you want to smoke, that is fine, but do it on your own time, not on your bosses.