Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

"Different"? "individual"? what does it mean?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What do you call a collective group of individuals?! I've been thinkiing about different groups of people.... you've got the people who dress up in whatever's in fashion, and you've got the people who delierately avoid fashion, coz they want to be an "individual". Am i right in thinking that Goths/grungers/greebos/skater punks etc come under this 2nd catagory? If that's the case, why do they all wear the same types of clothes?! I'm confused.....!!

Oh yeah, and another thing, i've seen a few people quoting that quote "You laugh at me because i'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same". Sorry, but as far as I can see, this makes you exactly the same as them.... laughing at those who are different to you.

Thanks for listening, sorry to moan, but i'm a cynical old git trying to understand the world we're living in.

Comments

• Options
    Oh yeah, and can i add, i dont except a lot of replies to this, but hopefully it might make some people think??
  • Options
    Each person is who they are and what they want to be and should not be criticised in anyway for it...so what if they want to dress or look differently, thats their life, not everyone wants to be a fashion freak and wear "trendy" clothing, some want to wear dark clothing and appear differently.
  • Options
    a lot of skaters are all the same

apart from this one dude down the park, dudes fashion sense fuckin off the scales.

i think clothes is the last way you judge individuality. no in fact i know that. FACT
  • Options
  • Options
    i'm unique.
  • Options
    why dont you ask ilora-danon????

to be honest, there's no such thing as 'alternative' or 'individual'. I consider myself an individual, but then.... all those other girls that are individuals? that makes me another one of them.

i shop at camden and the wardrobe and yet i still pop in to topshop for a strappy vest or a denim skirt or some cords or something. I dont limit myself to possibilities and thats why i feel so comfortable. I know that if i want to go out in some cropped trousers with a bright pink vest and some pixxie shoes (the h&m look) i can, and yet I can still go out in a pair of DIY re-designed cords and a camden-originating chinese shirt with weird pac man cut outs stuck on, I can.

As for goths and whatever, they're only as individual and original as a toni and guy hair cut. We're all different, yet each and every one of us are the same in the sense that we are all different.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    i'm unique.

everyone wears hats
  • Options
    Re: "Different"? "individual"? what does it mean?
    Originally posted by secretsmiler

Oh yeah, and another thing, i've seen a few people quoting that quote "You laugh at me because i'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same". Sorry, but as far as I can see, this makes you exactly the same as them.... laughing at those who are different to you.

Thanks for listening, sorry to moan, but i'm a cynical old git trying to understand the world we're living in.

It makes me exactly the same but also different. Im just simply saying if you want to laugh at me or class me different then ill laugh back at you cos it doesnt bother me.
    Of course we are all the same but we all have our own qualities, traits, bad points etc, and people that are classed as different arent usually the norm. I fail to see why anyone cannot understand this or not know what different means :confused:

Oh, n apology accepted :D
    and at the end of the day, are you really bothered what people want to label themselves?
  • Options
    Originally posted by badabing
    why dont you ask ilora-danon????

I thought the same :chin: I was a bit suspicous of this new poster! :lol:
  • Options
    What is fashion though? surely its whats 'IN' at that moment? well skaters have certain wear that is fashion, so will buy that the clothes they have to wear to be safe or look fashionable? people who want to be trendy follow pop stars etc then they wear that fashion there are different fashions and just because you wear trendy fashion does not mean that is the 'norm' some people just like to be different after all everyone is different!
  • Options
    I wouldnt really say my dress sense is different, if i was in a crowd of people you wouldnt be able to pick me out i buy 3/4 of my clothes from top shop, and then the rest come from envy and next and river island and new look, so most of my clothes arnt loud or different to anyone elses but i do follow fashion. id say by looking at someone you just get an outside view of what someone is like, an i dont think i would look at someone who doesnt wear the same clothes as me and think omg look what your wearing i would never talk to you.
  • Options
    Clothes don't make people individual or different. I can't remember the last time I saw someone who looked unique with their style. It doesn't matter where you shop or what you buy - just wear what you actually like rather than what you feel inclined to buy because it fits a certain image.

Personality makes you different and unique. The person inside the clothes. And if clothes are a representation of personality then a lot of people have the same fucking personality.

Too much importance is placed on clothes these days - they are peices of glorified cloth that companies are making far too much profit out of. That's all.