Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

as you grow older ...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
are you going to end up being just like mummy and daddy?
is that an ok thought or would you hope to be completely different
when your their age?

Comments

  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well i hope i'm not like my dad cause hes dead & well my mum erm... i think i wanna be me :D.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I plan to be less self-centred than my dad, and less stressed out than my mum.

    But I'll probably end up a combination of the worst bits of both of them :(
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I hope I'll be as chilled about life as my Dad is, but not as quiet and distant, and I'd like my mum's confidence but I want to be completely different with my kids to how she was with us.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i think that as long as i have the best traits from each of my parents i'll be ok. If i was to be as laid back as my dad with a touch of his sense of humour when i'm his age, i'll be doin ok. But mainly i just wanna be me:D
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I dont know how i will turn out, i will let the future take its course, im going to turn out like me and no one else.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: as you grow older ...
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    are you going to end up being just like mummy and daddy?
    is that an ok thought or would you hope to be completely different
    when your their age?

    did you turn out like your parents??
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I want to raise my children with the same morals as my parents have done with me but I don't want to be like them, really. My mum is too shy and my dad is too self-centred.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I want to be completely different. My parents are way to strict and old fashioned. Won't go into it cos I aint in the mood, but I wanna be laid back, fair etc yet being confident and sociable. Basically I don't really wanna change from how I am now, which is nowt like the rest of my family.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i dnt ever want to be like my rents they are so stuffy, im not aloud to do anything! im not aloud to have male mates round for gods sake!
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Re: as you grow older ...
    Originally posted by octopus of doom
    did you turn out like your parents??
    no octy, nothing at all like them!
    my parents were extremely hard working, working class people.
    very honest and very set in the ways of their parents. my dad worked all the hours going to provide for his family. all good stuff realy.
    my father was offered the chance to go into bizz in the early 60's but wasn't a risk taker.
    by the time i was 10, i had already decided that i didn't want to spend my entire life grafting endlessly and have nothing but memories of work and more work.
    i would be a risk taker ...which i took to the extreme but it all worked out fine in the end.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Re: Re: as you grow older ...
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    no octy, nothing at all like them!
    my parents were extremely hard working, working class people.
    very honest and very set in the ways of their parents. my dad worked all the hours going to provide for his family. all good stuff realy.
    my father was offered the chance to go into bizz in the early 60's but wasn't a risk taker.
    by the time i was 10, i had already decided that i didn't want to spend my entire life grafting endlessly and have nothing but memories of work and more work.
    i would be a risk taker ...which i took to the extreme but it all worked out fine in the end.

    somehow i didnt think so............

    as for original question, theres thing i respect about my parents and things i dont like. there are many things that by choice i would choose not to take after but as i grow up its disturbing the way i find myself repeating their own life. specially my dad.

    when i imagine my dad at my age i imagine him to be very much like me. although maybe a little more sheltered for want of a better word.

    but theres worse ways to be than like my parents i guess, at least they are nice kind people. although i dont plan to get married at 21 :eek2: or have kids at 28 :eek:

    my mum married my dad when she was only about 18 months older than me!! terrifying...
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I want to be nothing like them as they are now. My mum's a fruitie loop case and my dad's an attention seeking selfish git.

    I'd like to be able to have the same balance as they had with me and the try and teach my kids the same morals and manners as they did with me as they were pretty sound parents in that respect.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    im not going to be anything like them. but i dont think anyone would be cos times change.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: as you grow older ...
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    are you going to end up being just like mummy and daddy?
    is that an ok thought or would you hope to be completely different
    when your their age?

    good question........to answer truthfully I'd have to say........if I could only be a 'mummy' if I was the same as my mum, and the 'daddy' as my dad, then............I'd rather not have children! (even though I do want them one day)!




    :D
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I honestly don't think I'm gonna turn out like either of my mam and dad.

    I think it's because I probably think about things more, and I think I'm learning from my own experiences, rather than them of my parents.

    If that makes any sense.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i want to be everything like my dad, and nothing like my mum.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i will of course end up like my mum and dad one day ...dead.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    how depressing.

    im never going to die :D
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't think American teens will be as liberal as our parents. 9/11 changed that. Many of us feel the "It's all good." idea of letting anyone with any belief into the country...was what led to it.

    My parents are very, very liberal. It's part of their times and personality. My dad goes way out of his way to be a friend. If the person turns out to be untrustworthy, then they are no longer a friend. Me, I size the person up, see if they are worth being friends with first...then I'll be their friend. Also, I don't respect the cultures, values and beliefs of every one in the world as being their right to hold. There is such a thing as an enemy. I don't know that my parents' generation believed that.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    I don't think American teens will be as liberal as our parents. 9/11 changed that. Many of us feel the "It's all good." idea of letting anyone with any belief into the country...was what led to it.

    My parents are very, very liberal. It's part of their times and personality. My dad goes way out of his way to be a friend. If the person turns out to be untrustworthy, then they are no longer a friend. Me, I size the person up, see if they are worth being friends with first...then I'll be their friend. Also, I don't respect the cultures, values and beliefs of every one in the world as being their right to hold. There is such a thing as an enemy. I don't know that my parents' generation believed that.

    your parents had communist enemies. now its terrorists. those in power always finds an enemy somewehre. its how they persuade you to maintain the status quo
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My mum is a bit of a snob. She shouts and talks loudly. ALso turns nearly every comment into an arguement. So i really dont want to turn out like her! My dad is better. Hes quite funny and just nicer altogether. I want to be a bit more liberal than my parents.
Sign In or Register to comment.