Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

driving licence

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i am 17 in august and one of my friends has been 17 since march. and he has still not even filled in the form for the provisional licence were as i am pissing my self from having to wait to drive.

just wondering what age were you when you got your driving licence and if you were 17 how many months after your birthday.
:chin:

Comments

• Options
    got my prov the day of my birthday and my liscense 5 days after my birthday the next year becasue i wasn't home on my birthday and the driving place is only open on tuesdays and thursdays so i had to wait :(
  • Options
    I passed my text when I was 19. Took lessons from 18 but then gave up for a bit when I failed my first test. Was almost 20 when I passed.
  • Options
    Dunno. I was about 20something.
  • Options
    My parents bought me £150 worth of driving lessons for my 17th b'day, then I decided I wasn't confident to do them, so put off getting my licence for ages. When I got it - a year and two months later - it was more for ID purposes than anything.

My younger sister turned 17 17 months after me and had her first driving lesson two days after her birthday and ended up buying my driving lessons off me (she was with the same driving school so they let us transfer them to her name).

She passed her test (third time round) about a month ago, and I still haven't made any effort to arrange driving lessons, even tho I really need to for my job - my parents will be charging me taxi fares soon! :S

Edited to change how long after my 17th b'day I got my licence - was a year and two months, not two months! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I started lessons just over a month after my 17th birthday. I passed my test er...5 months later, so it was 6 months after my birthday. Or thereabouts.
  • Options
    I got my prov a few weeks after my 17th birthday, then started having lessons a few months later, then passed my test a few weeks before my 18th birthday (1st time! :))

But then didnt send off for it for about 3 months :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I got mine a month after turning 17 started learning to drive soon after. Took me a year and a half to learn and I passed on my 4th attempt.
  • Options
    i got my provisional about a month before my birthday. My birthday was 31st january and had my first lesson about a week later. passed my test Friday 13th!!!! of June (was 3rd time tho!!)
    oh and i have a rant!
    I cant believe not only do you have to pay for your pro. lisence and then a stupid amount of miney for lessons you then have to pay another bloody £18 to change from provisional to full! :eek: :eek:
  • Options
    Im 17 and havent got mine yet, just haven't got round to it, im not that fussed about driving now but will get round to doing it very very soon.
  • Options
    can you send away fo your provisional before your 17? :confused:
  • Options
    Yeah, the "start" date on it ends up being your birthday, so you can't use it before... so it'll expire the day before your 27th b'day (they are valid for ten years) :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by lazybstard
    can you send away fo your provisional before your 17? :confused:

Yeah, you can send off for them 3 months before I think.
  • Options
    No dont think so, not too sure though.
  • Options
    You can indeed.
  • Options
    began having lessons about a month after my 17th birthday, passed my test first time 2 days after my 18th. Yes, it took me a year of lessons and 3 instructors to learn to drive... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    i had my first driving lesson on my 17th birthday and passed about 7 months later on my second attempt.......

should have got it the first time but i managed to cock it up by not listening to what the examiner told me to do and then getting all confused and making a very very stupid mistake. failed with 6 minors and one major........ grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

but then i passed on my next go with 5 minors and nothing else so woohoo!
  • Options
    i got my provsional about 10 days before my 17th birthday. my first lesson on my birthday and im having my 6th lesson on saturday :D
  • Options
    heh i took years to get my license, because I got a load of lessons then ran out of cash moved house and stuff and stopped having lessons for ages then started again. Not fun. Cost lots.
  • Options
    I got my provisional before my 17 birthday but can't remember when exactly. Wrote a car off first lesson which put me back a bit. month after that started lessons again. had summer hols and things where I missed a month and took my test basically after 4 months of lessons. Failed that time but never had another lesson. Took my test 4 months later due to a-level mocks and things in my mum's car and passed with no trouble. So I was 17 when I passed and got my current licence as well.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pink Soda
    it took me a year of lessons and 3 instructors to learn to drive... :rolleyes:

same here :|
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kazbo
    Wrote a car off first lesson which put me back a bit.

How did you manage that? :crazyeyes
  • Options
    fuckin had my first lesson on my birthday with the hunger to drive so fuckin strong im amazed my mum leaves my car keys in the kitchen.

i will be learning for over a year cus i fuckin failed my test cus the instructor was soooooooo wank 50 cent made a song about him.

if i don't pass on my 2nd attempt then the world ain't ready for it....
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kazbo
    Wrote a car off first lesson

A mate of mine wrote the driving instructor's car off during her first test - she went (speeding!) the wrong way down a one way street and head on, straight into another car! It wasn't a pretty sight! Amazingly, she passed on her second test with only four minors and was on the road in her own brand new car within two months!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Crystal Tipps
    she passed on her second test with only four minors and was on the road in her own brand new car within two months!

how on earth can you learn and take two tests in two months
  • Options
    Within two months of crashing her instructor's car, I meant! Sorry!:p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Crystal Tipps
    A mate of mine wrote the driving instructor's car off during her first test

sorry didn't bother to read, thought it was the first lesson.

god i'm soooooo tired and have work tomorow morning needing to be up at 6:00 yet i'm still typing, why am i not in bed
    i hate myself grrrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Options
    i got my L's when i was about 17 and a half, i'm yet to get my p's
  • Options
    I got my provisional a few days before my 17th birthday, and passed my test first time seven months later. Took about thirty lessons, and I did plenty of driving with my parents. It was worth it though.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    I was 17 on the 6th of May this year, I got my provisional a few years ago and I'm taking my first driving lesson on the 15th of July :)
  • Options
    Can't remember it seems like ages ago, think i passed my test when i was 18. First time! :D.