Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Do you think it's weird?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
About my parents. I have never seen them kiss or hug or cuddle or hold hands or anything like that. I just find it odd - because they are married I mean it's kinda mucking me up in the head to what norms are. When you get married do you stop all intamacy? :confused: Of course you don't - I couldn't bear it! It's weird. Why might they be like this?

Comments

• Options
    course you dont stop all intimacy when married, maybe theyre of the `not in front of the children` mindset? I agree this must be really confusing for the children to never see their parents being affectionate, maybe they are more affectionate in private, or maybe theyre just not very tactile people?
  • Options
    My mum and dad never cuddle, hold hands or anything, they just argue 24/7 :rolleyes:
  • Options
    ppl who r in love dont have to kiss eachother r send eachother flowers to show their partner they love them. all the small things, like gettin up in the mornin, makin the tea, makin breakfast, they wudnt do this if they didnt love them....
  • Options
    For years, all my parents seemed to do was argue in front of me and my younger sister. Occassionally, we would walk in and find them kissing in the kitchen when they were supposed to be cooking tea, but only very occassionally.

Then, last February (around the time of my mum's b'day) then both had a fortnight off work. Spending so much time together when they aren't used to it (Dad usually works long hours) wound them both up so much there was talk of getting divorced ( :eek: ) Then they went away for a long weekend at the end of their fortnight off, and since then, something's changed... Now Dad always kisses Mum goodbye even if he's just nipping to the shops or going out to water the plants, and they even changed the three piece suite so Dad hasn't got his own chair anymore so they have to sit together!

I think it's probably just a case of everyday things getting in the way of intimacy - especially when you've got kids, your relationship doesn't always take first priority. Then something happens to wake you up to the situation and you have to do something about it... Turns out the thing that was worrying my parents was that when me and my sis move out, they are going to have nothing in common and will end up splitting up, so now they make a special effort to do something together every weekend, even if it's just going out for a drive to a far away garden centre, or something!
  • Options
    My parents were never affectionate. Not hugs, no kisses, no holding hands, not even sitting together on a couch.

Then they got a divorce.
  • Options
    My parent's aren't affectionate at all. They only seem to speak to argue actually.

I think they'll split up/divorce/whatever when me and my brother have our own lives after uni and everything. My mum always makes 'subtle' hints to me about how she'd have left long ago if it weren't for the fact she couldn't afford to look after me and my brother without my dad's income.
  • Options
    I can't remember my parents being affectionate but I know they loved each other dearly. But then they probably were but I was too young to notice or really understand the significance. (I was 9 when my dad died) But I know for a fact that they were very affectionate to each oher at other times. Just perhaps not infront of me. Oh I don't know I'm confusing myself here.
  • Options
    ..they hug and kiss now and again ..but not ALL the time its just normal when you've been doing it for 25 years i guess
  • Options
    My parents hold hands very occasionally, probabably only a dozen times that i can remember, they never hug or kiss.

But then, if they did, i wouldnt be able to keep my dinner down. Dont like seeing all the mushy stuff when it comes to my family!