Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Re-taking of driving test

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i believe ppl shud have to retake their driving test every 10 years, or so. as i believe many drivers today wud not pass there driving tests if they took it today...

after all, an imcompetent driver is no better than a driver whos drugged up wiv coccaine (sp?) or drunk are they?

especially if ppl are devlepoing eye problems as they get older !!! at least a regular eye test shud have to be taken!

Comments

• Options
    I agree that stricter health/vision checks would be in order. However I don't think re-taking the test would be a good idea.

Most drivers who have had their licence for a few years would fail the test today. Not because of their inability to drive, but because they would not be driving 'by the book'. From the position of the hands when holding the steering wheel to the frequency of mirror checks to even placing your right arm on the window sill, most experienced drivers would fail the test on stupid technicalities like those.

However there are few things more dangerous than a new driver (20% crash their cars in their first year as drivers) and experienced drivers are always going to be much safer.

I would agree with 'refresher' courses or advice, not only for drivers but for cyclists and pedestrians too. As a motorbike rider I'm pretty fed up with bloody pedestrians crossing the road looking the other way, because car traffic is stationary and it doesn't occur to them that there are bikes moving in the middle of the road. Every fucking single day on my way to work I have to break hard for some idiot who appears on the road from between two stationary cars.
  • Options
    No you should not have to take ur driving test allover again, as long as you turn up every 5 or 10 years and if u have any bad driving records then you have to take your test allover again. You wouldn't want the whole population taking their driving test again, once you do it thats it, your a driver.
  • Options
    No, I dont think you should have to take your driving test again, although I do think not checking your mirrors often enough is a serious offence, however I do think people over a certain age lets say 70 should have to retake their driving test, because having seen some of the bad drivers on the road many do seem to be OAP's

Another thing I believe you should have to resit your theory test at least every 10 years (free of charge of course) and if you fail first time (which I believe many people would) you have 2 months to resit and pass it else you loose your driving license - this would mean resitting both theory and practical driving tests