Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

You and Money

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
We're supposed to think that money doesn't buy happiness, but what would your life be like if you had say, a million pounds? Do you have any debts to pay off that are really getting you down? Do you have something you've always wanted to do but couldn't because of money? I wanna know!

If I just had a million pounds I could buy a house in Cornwall, a stable, own my own horse, have a high quality wetsuit and surfboard and surf nearly every day. I would be so happy. I'm trying to save out of my real money but I just look at the cost of the houses down there compared with the work on offer and it totally doesn't balance. I know I couldn't buy the love of my life, but having a partner isn't everything either, it's just being happy in your self.

Comments

• Options
    money talks i don't deny

i heard it once, it said 'goodbye'...
  • Options
    I wouldn't have debt of £40,000-£50,000 after all my education has finished.

I would buy a great flat in London and a car.

I would put the rest in an high interest account.
  • Options
    I don't have that much yet, but I will when I have finished all my education - I'll be 27.

1) 3 years at uni - say £15,000

2) 1 year CPE in London - £8,000 plus accommodation, food, transport, etc.

3) 1 year BVC - £6,300-£8,000 (depending upon where I do it) plus accommodation, food, transport, etc.

4) 1 year pupillage - receive about £10,000 for the year, but because it will be in London, I am unsure whether it will cover all my expenses, such as accommodation, food, transport (especially in second 6 months), wig and gown, another suit or two, etc etc.

So the £15,000, £8,000 and £8,000 (higher end) = £31,000 BEFORE accommodation, food, transport, etc, for 2 years.

I will have to pay for everything in the pupillage year, although that £10,000 will obviously help considerably.

I am hoping to have a full-time (paid) job for a year after the BVC but before pupillage which not only will be extremely good in terms of experience, but it will also enable me to hopefully pay off some of my huge debts.
  • Options
    Cheers. :)
  • Options
    Lucky me I have no debt:) (cept the three quid I borrowed from the Big Issue seller!). This gives you an insight into my financial situation! If I had money I'd buy a wee flat off the council and a rabbit to share it with and some clothes without holes in embarrassing places! Then I'd give the rest to charity!:)
  • Options
    If i had a million pounds i would pay off the house mortage with that money and give some money to charity,invest alot of it, buy a new car and have a BIG party and then live off the investment and a job and remain rich:)
  • Options
    Id pay off my debts too, I have about 8,000 altogether from uni etc Oh and I'd pay off my car loan aswell! Just that little lot would make me much happier!!

Then I'd buy a nice house and do lots of travelling cos I'd never have to go to work :D
  • Options
    I don't know... stash it all in my pillow!

Maybe buy some stuff like a new bike or somthin'