Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I need your help...!

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
I got a new job last week. They sent me the contract in the post, and on the front it said "Wage per hour: 4.61 ph" so i read it all and signed it all thinking i was getting 4.61 an hour (which is goodish for a 17 year old i thought and was one of the reasons i signed it)

I got it back yesterday, after the manager had signed it and the 4.61 was crossed out and they'd put 3.78 instead. I asked why and they said someone has misquoted me for 18 and it would be illegal for them to pay me the 4.61 as im only 17. They said there wasnt really anything i could do about it.

I was under the impression that a contract is a legally binding document? And that i should get what i signed for? But as it were im now working 39 hours a week for 3.78, when i could be working part time for say 4.50 somewhere else and be getting the same amount at the end of the month :(

Can they do that to me? It'd be alright if it was a good job but its kinda crap, and i owe people money :impissed:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I thought that if you'd signed it they weren't allowed to change it. And it's not 'illegal' for them to pay you 4.61 they can pay you whatever they like as long as it's over the minimum wage....hmmm, i'm not really much use. Where's Mobily when you need him?!
  • Options
    That`s shit.

I don`t know what the legal position is, but experience tells me employers can crap all over you about stuff like this and you can`t do bollocks about it. :(
  • Options
    Re: I need your help...!
    Originally posted by LacyMay
    I got a new job last week. They sent me the contract in the post, and on the front it said "Wage per hour: 4.61 ph" so i read it all and signed it all thinking i was getting 4.61 an hour (which is goodish for a 17 year old i thought and was one of the reasons i signed it)

I got it back yesterday, after the manager had signed it and the 4.61 was crossed out and they'd put 3.78 instead. I asked why and they said someone has misquoted me for 18 and it would be illegal for them to pay me the 4.61 as im only 17. They said there wasnt really anything i could do about it.

I was under the impression that a contract is a legally binding document? And that i should get what i signed for? But as it were im now working 39 hours a week for 3.78, when i could be working part time for say 4.50 somewhere else and be getting the same amount at the end of the month :(

Can they do that to me? It'd be alright if it was a good job but its kinda crap, and i owe people money :impissed:
    bastards! but tell em that and you probably loose the job.
  • Options
    Re: Re: I need your help...!
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    bastards! but tell em that and you probably loose the job.

Yeah, I bet you`re on a trial period, aren`t you? Heads we win, tails you lose.
  • Options
    Ring citizens advise.
  • Options
    My DOB is on all the documents they have and 1986 isnt exactly in small writing or nothing!

Im trying to find a job before the 4 week probationary period ends, then i dont have to give them any notice.

But 3.78 is just crap. I would have told them to fuck off if it'd said that originally, and im Band 2 which is not even the lowest kind! I am so not getting the right money.
  • Options
    im 17 and i get payed £5 an hour (and was doing wen i was 16) so its a load of crap bout not being allowed to pay u over £4.
  • Options
    ring ...the A team! looks like theres a couple of jobs in here thay could sort out.
  • Options
    OK...

The firm sent you the contract with all of the details for you to look over and to sign (if you agree with them) or for you to query if you did not agree with any aspect of it.

You signed it and handed it back, thus confirming that you agreed to all of the clauses contained within it.

In other words, an offer was made which you accepted.

A contract can only be altered before it is accepted. Once you have accepted it, it can't usually be.

So, if I remember correctly, the offeror must perform the contract as it stands.

There also appears to be consideration - i.e. something for something. They offered you a job and you accepted it by signing the contract.

I would find out the necessary law and write a friendly letter to them explaining your legal position.
  • Options
    Im trying to find a job before the 4 week probationary period ends, then i dont have to give them any notice.

:yes: Put up with it for now since you need the money, but look for something else that will pay you better.
  • Options

But 3.78 is just crap. I would have told them to fuck off if it'd said that originally, and im Band 2 which is not even the lowest kind! I am so not getting the right money.

I've told you before, tell them to fuck right off if they start messing you about :yes:

When I go for jobs, I reckon I should be the one who syas how much I want paid, then they negotiate with me.

Seriously, once they start arsing you about, they'll only keep doing it again and again.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr Doughnut
    OK...

The firm sent you the contract with all of the details for you to look over and to sign (if you agree with them) or for you to query if you did not agree with any aspect of it.

You signed it and handed it back, thus confirming that you agreed to all of the clauses contained within it.

In other words, an offer was made which you accepted.

A contract can only be altered before it is accepted. Once you have accepted it, it can't be.

So, if I remember correctly, the offeror must perform the contract as it stands.

There also appears to be consideration - i.e. something for something. They offered you a job and you accepted it by signing the contract.

I would find out the necessary law and write a friendly letter to them explaining your legal position.

I have a copy of the contract at home before it was altered, and i also have a copy of the altered version. Both have been dated so you can see the alteration was made after i signed it.

So your saying legally i should be getting 4.61? And that i should tell them that?
  • Options
    What's minimum wage when you're 18?

Seems to me like they were paying you as much as they thought they had to, then lowered it when they realised there was no minimum wage because you're 17. To say that it's illegal to pay you the £4.61 is just..pathetic, they can pay you anything so long as it's over the minimum wage (which there isn't when you're 17, but the point's still the same).

If you signed the contract with those details on, surely there are legal issues with them changing the contract after you signed it and without telling you?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bri-namite
    I've told you before, tell them to fuck right off if they start messing you about :yes:

When I go for jobs, I reckon I should be the one who syas how much I want paid, then they negotiate with me.

Seriously, once they start arsing you about, they'll only keep doing it again and again.
    That all well & good but its not easy to get a job & she needs the money, no matter what it is!
  • Options
    I get paid £3.60 an hour for working Thursday and Saturday nights 6-11:30 at an extremely busy CONVENIENCE STORE. We have to deal with all sorts of shit.

I definitely think the wage for us under 18s is shit. There needs to be a reasonable minimum wage (we don't have one at all). I think 4 squid sounds about right.
  • Options
    Originally posted by HunnyPot
    I get paid £3.60 an hour for working Thursday and Saturday nights 6-11:30 at an extremely busy CONVENIENCE STORE. We have to deal with all sorts of shit.

I definitely think the wage for us under 18s is shit. There needs to be a reasonable minimum wage (we don't have one at all). I think 4 squid sounds about right.

Thats even shitter than me, cos we're the same age aint we. Where do you work?
  • Options
    Thats even shitter than me, cos we're the same age aint we. Where do you work?

One Stop Shop in Yate
  • Options
    Originally posted by HunnyPot

I definitely think the wage for us under 18s is shit.

Especially if the under 18 is doing the same work as someone over 18, but still getting paid less.

It's total ageism :p
  • Options
    I have a copy of the contract at home before it was altered, and i also have a copy of the altered version. Both have been dated so you can see the alteration was made after i signed it.

So your saying legally i should be getting 4.61? And that i should tell them that?

But then they`ll probably terminate at the end of the trial period saying it just didn`t work out.
  • Options
    My law books are in the attic, so I'll go up, find them and tell you. Might take 30 mins or more.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Miffy
    But then they`ll probably terminate at the end of the trial period saying it just didn`t work out.

They could actually fire me now if they wanted. They can terminate my contract at any point in the next 4 weeks without giving me notice.

My parents said i just gotta take what im given, its taken me 5 months to get this job and they think i should be grateful for anything i get but im not getting up at 6.30 in the morning an getting home at 6 just to get just over 450 pound a month :(
  • Options
    Someone has borrowed my dad's ladder, so I can't go up and get books, so I'll do a search on the net instead.

There clearly was a contract between you two. You can only change the content of a contract BEFORE it is accepted by the offeree. I think it's possible to pay for the contract to be changed, but I'm not sure.

Give me some time.
  • Options
    Or maybe you can pop along to your local Citizen's Advice Bureau, as they'll be able to tell you exactly where you stand and what you can do. You've got all the evidence there, and what they've done is very dodgy, surely it can't be legal. (Unless it said somewhere in the original bumph that the pay scale is different for under 18s)

3.78 is actually just above the minimum wage for 18-21 year olds, but that's not the point. It said 4.61 on the contract which you agreed to

Good luck :)
  • Options
    I can't remember, I can't access my books (until tonight) to find out and the net isn't that good.

If you want it resolved quickly, go to the Citizens' Advice Bureaux, a Law Centre (if Bristol has one) or contact a solicitor (a number of firms offer a free 30-minute consultation).
  • Options
    I can't remember, I can't access my books (until tonight) to find out and the net isn't that good.

If you want it resolved quickly, go to the Citizens' Advice Bureaux, a Law Centre (if Bristol has one) or contact a solicitor (a number of firms offer a free 30-minute consultation).

Cheers anyway.

Hmm i could take Sainsburys (am i allowed to say that?! oops) to court :chin:
  • Options
    Hmm i could take Sainsburys (am i allowed to say that?! oops) to court :chin:

lol don't jump ahead of yourself.

Do one of the three thing recommended to find out your position - not tomorrow or the day after, today.
  • Options
    They could actually fire me now if they wanted. They can terminate my contract at any point in the next 4 weeks without giving me notice.

That`s what I mean. In my experience if they can`t get you one way they`ll get you another. :impissed:
  • Options
    lol don't jump ahead of yourself.

Do one of the three thing recommended to find out your position - not tomorrow or the day after, today.

Hehe yes i was kinda daydreaming. Im more likely to get fired then get the chance to sue them sadly.

Ill look into the things you suggested.