Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Americans Back Iran 'attack'

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
AMERICANS BACK IRAN 'ATTACK'

June 25, 2003 -- WASHINGTON - Most Americans would back U.S. military action against Iran to stop it from acquiring nuclear weapons - and concern is growing over U.S. troop casualties in Iraq, according to an opinion poll released yesterday.
In a Washington Post/ABC poll of 1,024 people, 56 percent endorsed the use of the U.S. military to block Iran from developing nuclear weapons.

The poll also found growing concern over casualties among U.S. forces in Iraq. Since the fall of Baghdad on April 9, 46 U.S. soldiers have been killed in hostile circumstances there.

The Washington Post is a liberal newspaper.

Comments

• Options
    Would you back military action against Iran?
  • Options
    No would not back military action against Iran, this has gotten too far, Bush and his American supporters must be stopped and stopped now..if only there was another Hitler around to stop america. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Good Lord.
  • Options
    Iraq was prevented from becoming a nuclear power by Isreal when it bombed its French-made facility. We can't allow a country led by radical Muslim clerics to become a nuclear power.

If unanounced inspections could resume from the UN to ensure they were only building a nuclear power plant...that might avoid any bombing of their facility.
  • Options
    There is no way America can now turn round and back an attack on Iran. It would be totally illegal and against all International conventions. If they do attack then it will be up to the rest of the world to take out sanctions against the United States... not that that would ever happen, but we as a global community would need to do something to show Americans the need to get rid of their crackpot dictator.. sorry, president:p
  • Options
    Regardless of pnj's belief in ridiculous and obviously biased polls (1024 respondents?, in a country of over 250 million?, you be the judge) I suspect the reality of declaring war on a completely new country would be rejected by an overwhelming majority of the population at this poiint.

Bush can't afford to get carried away in another drawn out process which can only draw ranging criticism and further diminish our international reputation whilst he has a looming economic crisis on his hands in the run up to the election.

Notwithstanding this, any new military action would require a declaration of war from Congress or leave washington open to an endless wave of lawsuits from constitutional watchdogs that would bury not only Bush but our Congressional reps in a mountain of shit.

Will he do it? I highly doubt it, he's merely keeping up his sabre rattling to maintain his propaganda hold on small. non-intellectual minds like pnj's.
  • Options
    Population is 280,562,489 (July 2002 est.) in America.

It would be a bomb on the facility not an Iraqi style involvement. Actually instead, inspections could work while opponents to the 100 crazy clerics running Iran right now are mustered.

At a fund raising event for his Presidential campaign, where he raised 4 million in one night, Bush said: War is what they declared on America and war is what they got. People cheered.
  • Options
    Pnj-why are u racist against muslims? What have they ever done to you? Have they bombed ur house,killed ur family?
    I believe any country should be left to whatever they do in their country and others should not be butting their noses in.

They cheered because they had been attacked, what would happen if a smaller country had been attacked and 3,000 killed, nothing would have happened i tell you, the whole world turns sympathetic over terrorism whenever America are attacked.
  • Options
    we are witnessing the fall of the last super power.
    until ...europe and china take over. bet ya!
  • Options
    You can bet it wasnt the innumerable millions whove lost their jobs and financial security under Bush and his corporate sleazeball crony's protection of their criminal friends in industry, nor those who can do more than gullibly swallow his nationalistic rhetoric who were coughing up the bucks pnj.

You should be deeply worried and not cheering that he's fleecing the country so easily and without question from such people as attended his gathering.

Now who do you suppose he means by "they" declared war on America? Iraq? (wrong), Iran? (wrong again), AL Qaeda? (sure, and with the under the table assistance of this very administration who has gleefully used them as a platform for greater corruption than Washington has seen in several administrations).

Fact is he's blurred all distinction of entirely differing foreign relations issues in his sustained agenda of blurring it all into some great terrorism meltingpot that you are incapable of seeing through it at all.

4 more years of Bush & co. will leave your future quite bleak, be aware of that fact.
  • Options
    Here's what the EU president said about Iraq:

"When Europe and United States are united, no problem and no enemy can stand against us," said Romano Prodi, president of the European Commission (news - web sites). "If we fail to unite, every problem may become a crisis and every enemy a gigantic monster."

"Many people have said that Europe is too old," Prodi said, a reference to Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld calling anti-war allies part of "old Europe." Said Prodi: "Maybe, but the old age helps us to understand our strengths and our weakness."

Bush replied with a smile, "You're looking pretty young these days."

Is it just me or doesn't it sound like Bush and Prodi were about to get romantic and start kissing. All lovey dovely like? :love:
  • Options
    europe and china take over. bet ya!

No , no , no.

We are witnessing the fall of Europe as an influence in the world.

Europes people are aging , its population is falling , its economies are weakening and its people are working less and less hours per year.

Western Europe is a dying continent.

The USA is the future , it aint going anywhere , and it is definately not falling.
  • Options
    I on the contrary think the US is in much greater danger of imploding than Europe will ever be.

Add that to the highest anti-american sentiment ever seen across the planet (and willingness to deal with Europe if you have to choose between the two powers as a result) and the consolidation of Europe as leaders of some industries for the first time, and it would appear that it is here where the future seems brightest.

Then again, if they manage to kick that semi-literate buffoon and his death squad out of office in Washington things would be much brighter for the US as well.
  • Options
    FYI pnj, Prodi is President of the European Commission, merely one of the EU institutions, Just as Pat Cox is the President of the European Parliament, another of the three institutions. Prodi is not the EU President as there is not yet such a position created. That is part of the changes contained in the EU Constitution, still being negotiated.

Welcome back Al! Hope the vactaion was relaxing. Bout time we had another of our thinking posters back again to help keep the balance against all the tabloid-fed wankers.
  • Options
    Originally posted by The Matadore
    No , no , no.

We are witnessing the fall of Europe as an influence in the world.

Europes people are aging , its population is falling , its economies are weakening and its people are working less and less hours per year.

Western Europe is a dying continent.

The USA is the future , it aint going anywhere , and it is definately not falling.
    america is going down the pan. europe will become the trading powerhouse of the world. it will deal with china as an equal not an enemy. the united nations will become far more important in world policing than americans can comprehend. america is about to implode. this administration has got more or less the entire planet hating america or fearing it. do you think anyone with dosh to invest would choose america over europe? watch this space.
    when the american people find out the truth about 9/11 and all the other uncomfortable truths about this administration, believe me it's going to kick off big time. we will watch on sky tv, chaos that has never been seen before in the world. america is on the verge of tearing itself to shreds. IT WILL HAPPEN. it is happening.
  • Options
    It will happen as mr roll says and i shall be rejoicing that day while watching sky news, releasing that the brainwashed americans have seen the truth behind it all and are taking action against this president.
    Why has nobody assinated him is the question i ask? American presidents have been shot in the past but none have done anything near as bad as what Bush is doing and hes still alive :eek2:
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    Iraq was prevented from becoming a nuclear power by Isreal when it bombed its French-made facility. We can't allow a country led by radical Muslim clerics to become a nuclear power.

If unanounced inspections could resume from the UN to ensure they were only building a nuclear power plant...that might avoid any bombing of their facility.

So if a country is not led by muslims it is acceptable and ok to be a nuclear power? And if Iraq posed no nuclear threat, due to their facilities being destroyed, why did America and Britain go to war against Iraq? Remind me, my logic seems to be failing now.

And now the UN are needed again? I thought they were incapable....

Seriously, Bush needs to actually start using the very scarce brain cells he has.

I'm not certain of whether everyone will be revealed the truth or whether the majority will ever accept it...it all gets hidden somehow...
  • Options
    for fucks sake!!!!

if america start another war it will just prove what most people believe to be true, that being that Bush and his fucked up country have something against muslims!

first it was Afganistan, then Iraq, now Iran and in the backdrop the whole time Palistine. i'm beginning to see a pattern here.

oh and if America is allowed to have nuclear weapons why the fuck shouldnt the Arabs or Iranians!!!

the american government is fucked up!!!!
  • Options
    Icy, the actual question is, if Israel is allowed to have (and actually actively supplied with) nuclear, chemical and biological WMDs (which it has stockpiles of by the way), why can the Muslim countries not have similar arms as a counterbalance.

Its okay for Israel to decide it can violate its neighbouring countries' airspace and blow their infrastructure to kingdom come, but as soon as they are threatened with so much as a harsh word, its headline news and shock and condemnation galore.

Frankly the Road Map is a joke because Likhud has never had any real intention of seeing peace established. To do so would require them to abandon the central aim they have always stived for, namely the continual expansion and control of state of Israel over allthe disputed territories and the subjugation or (as some would undoubtedly wish) the complete elimination of every last Palestinian man, woman and child.

In the face of that, the only assurance of forcing the Israeli government to comply with UN resolutions it has ignored for over 30 years is to ensure its neighbours can defend themselves fully or to disarm Israel along with the rest.
  • Options
    From every point of view you look at it- track record in the last few decades, number of unprovoked attacks on other nations, disrespect for international law, fierce and bullying foreign policy- I think there is a very, very clear prime candidate to have his WMDs decommissioned, or alternatively to have its imperialistic dangerous government removed.

Like I said before I abhor nuclear weapons but in view of the current situation I completely understand and even support the right of other nations to equip themselves with nukes in order to protect their integrity. It would appear it's the only language lunatic imperialistic monkeys appear to understand.

(thanks Clan, it was a nice and chilled camping holiday in Cornwall. Didn't check the news at all and relaxed on the beach. Extremely amused to learn on my return about that bloke dressed as bin Laden gatecrashing Prince William's birthday party though :D )