Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

what price for cheats?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
my best mate cheated on his girlfriend last thursday, she has kinda broken it off and he's very cut up and knows its his own fault. Thing is he maintains he loves her and despertly wants to save their relationship.

i am meeting him this evening and i am just wondering should i encourage him to try and save whatever is left or urge him to cut his losses and move on.

to be honest i am pretty sceptical of their relationship...she already had done the dirt but he forgave her. Is she obliged to show the same forgiveness?

they have been going out on and off since last october. they spent an inordinate amount of time together (like every spare second) and seemingly were very close. he has had a tough year as his dad died of a heart attack in february so i am pretty concerned about what he is thinking or why he would do something like cheating.

i have never been in this situation so maybe someone knows what to do.
cheers!

Comments

• Options
    It sounds like their relationship hasn't been 100% secure, so I can't blame her for not wanting to carry it on - if someone cheats on you, it's very very difficult to go on trusting them and being happy with them, knowing that they've gone elsewhere for something they should be able to get within their relationship.

If I were you, I'd be really unsure about what to say! I don't envy you! Maybe I'd just tell him that he should realise how tough it could be for her (and just because he forgave her, no it doesn't put her under any obligation to do the same; everyone's different), and if she shows any signs of wanting to get back together then he should talk to her, but if not he should just 'cut his losses' as you say and try to move on.
  • Options
    Hows about, it`s their business and best left up to them?

Obligation - ugly word when used re. a relationship.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Miffy
    Hows about, it`s their business and best left up to them?

Obligation - ugly word when used re. a relationship.

trust me i would love to just do that and ultimately it is up to them but i cant stand idly by. hes gonna ask my opinion and advice: personally i think he should forget about but maybe somebody will have a different perspective that is worth listening to?
  • Options
    Originally posted by KrazyKlown
    trust me i would love to just do that and ultimately it is up to them but i cant stand idly by. hes gonna ask my opinion and advice

So tell him you cannot tell him what he should do, he has to make his own decision, but you will support him no matter.