Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Neville Sanders - Tory Councillor

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Last week the Peterborough City Council leader Neville Sanders insulted the family of a Royal Irish Regiment soldier who comitted suicide, claiming soilders had to "deal with a bullet". He also said he was fed up paying taxes for the "lazy Irish" and called for the people of Nothern Ireland to apologise for killing English soilders.

The Conservatives have been quick to distance themselves from Sander's comments and his party memebership has been suspended while a vote is taken as to whether he should remain council leader. However, Conservatives in Peterborough are now backing Sanders and he's expected to survive the vote of no confidence.

Does anyone else find this a disgrace or do you think he has a point?

Comments

• Options
    Re: Neville Sanders - Tory Councillor
    Originally posted by Tim the Enchanter
    Last week the Peterborough City Council leader Neville Sanders insulted the family of a Royal Irish Regiment soldier who comitted suicide, claiming soilders had to "deal with a bullet". He also said he was fed up paying taxes for the "lazy Irish" and called for the people of Nothern Ireland to apologise for killing English soilders.

The Conservatives have been quick to distance themselves from Sander's comments and his party memebership has been suspended while a vote is taken as to whether he should remain council leader. However, Conservatives in Peterborough are now backing Sanders and he's expected to survive the vote of no confidence.

Does anyone else find this a disgrace or do you think he has a point?

Perhaps the British army would also like to apologise for Bloody Sunday while they're at it? And it wouldn't do any harm for MI5 to apologise for giving "hit lists" to Unionist terror groups that killed people like Pat Finucane. We only hold onto Northern Ireland because Tories like this man can't bear to see it go back to join the Irish Republic due to their close link with the Unionist movement over the decades.

I think Iain Duncan-Smith should have made a public apology and firmly retract that man's comments from the Tory party rather than just "distancing himself". I'm glad he suspended his membership though. Although the backing of his fellow local councillors shows exactly why the Tory Party is the nasty party - a significant number of their grassroots hold these type of views. People talk about IDS being extreme, he is much more moderate than most of his grass roots but they voted for him as he was the closest to their views.
  • Options
    I don't think he has a 'point' but I feel he has a right to voice his view.
  • Options
    Originally posted by monocrat
    I don't think he has a 'point' but I feel he has a right to voice his view.

He may have a 'point' as you say, but surely as a member of the largest opposition party he should have slightly more savvy and tact on such matters???
  • Options
    Originally posted by JonBoi
    He may have a 'point' as you say, but surely as a member of the largest opposition party he should have slightly more savvy and tact on such matters???

Agreed. It seems like a rather odd slip up for a politician to say something so inflammatory in public. But then again, a slight lack of tact doesn't seem to have hurt the career of John Prescott...