Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Celebrating saints days

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
It makes me sad that people in Britain are not very patriotic, especially when I'm in other countries and see how much pride they have in their own country. Look at France, you can't walk down a single street in the country without seeing at least 5 French flags. When people try to fly the Union Jack here they get a hurl of abuse for being racist (where did all that come from?)

So I think we should start having a bit more pride in our country (or countries, to be more precise) and have a big fuck-off party on each of our Saints Days. Big street parties and festivals and massive concerts.......... maybe even donate the money to charity, ok I'm getting carried away now.

The Americans have independence day, the French have Bastille day, why can't we do something similar?

Comments

• Options
    Certainly if you come to Wales you will see that people do celebrate it. Growing up in West Wales it was a huge celebration in school for kids like me and we all learned about St David, had assemblies, read stories, wore leeks and daffs and basically got to understand the history of it.

When I was in school in England I don't remember doing anything to celebrate St Georges day!

Perhaps its the ENGLISH rather than the Scottish and Welsh who fail to celebrate it
  • Options
    ok I know that St George's day is hardly a big thing (although I think it should be) and that Wales, Scotland and Ireland do have celebrations. What I was thinking was there could be massive celbrations across the country for all saints days. So on 1st March people in Scotland, England and Ireland, as well as Wales do something for st david's - and the same for st george, st andrew and st patrick (although I think patrick already has it sussed ;) )
  • Options
    The thing is that unlike other countries the UK doesn't have a specific date when it can definitely say it was created - the American's can say the USA was created on 4th July 1776 (although technically they weren't created until 1787 when they ratified their constitution) whereas we in the UK can't say that. Hence we have no "national" day.

Also on the subject of saints the reason St George isn't celebrated as much as the Celtic saints is because St George wasn't actually English. He actually came from somewhere in the Middle East and is also the patron saints for other things including Malta! Whereas St Patrick is Irish, St Andrew is Scottish and St David is Welsh so they have a closer national identity with their saint. It also might be because England is less Catholic than the Celtic countries but I don't think it's a major factor.

What I do like about the French is the way they treat their saint's days as a second birthday! I wish we did that then I could have a nice summer celebration for my saint's day on June 3rd unlike my real birthday which is actually on February 26th!
  • Options
    ok.........

why can't we just make up a date and celebrate that every year? Like, I don't know, the Queen's birthday or something.

This is kind of what the Russians have done. I think they just wanted another excuse for a vodka bash (2 weeks of national holidays in May is not enough for them) so they celebrate the Day of the Signing of the Declaration of an Independent Russia. Officially it is to celebrate the rebirth of the the Russian Federation, but the majority of Russians don't know what it's for, they're just extremely proud to be Russian on that day!

So in the same spirit, couldn't we start celebrating something like the Day of the Signing of the Declaration on a Parliamentary form of Government?

I just want a big party with lots of flags flying and people saying how great it is to be British :)
  • Options
    In fact we used to have a day like that - it was called Empire Day back in the dark old days of the British Empire. I don't know what day it was on or why that date was chosen but we did used to have that as an excuse.

The trouble is the UK constitution and the shape of UK government in constantly changing so much so in recent years that the British "constitution" is not the same as it was only five years ago in 1998.

The last time we really had a big celebration of how great it is to be British must have been the VE Day 50th anniversary celebrations in 1995, which were really great and I remember a huge sense of patriotism arising from that. I don't think it should be on the Queen's birthday because that's her day not ours plus I'm a republican so having it on that day would ruin the whole thing for me :p.

I think the best way to do it would be to make the saint's days bank holidays in each of the countries and use them as the days for national holidays.
  • Options
    people found george an embaressment when they discovered he spent most of his days chasing the dragon.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    people found george an embaressment when they discovered he spent most of his days chasing the dragon.

hehehe

and he ended up having to loot too many castles to feed his habit.
  • Options
    The UK is a wonderful country and it should be celebrated. And since 80% of the people in the UK are English, the Union Jack should be displayed as part of the celebration. For immigrants or other people who aren't English, they could still celebrate a country that gives them freedoms, protection and opportunities that are still rare in this world.
  • Options
    I don't think it matters that St George was not originally English or that he is also the patron saint of other countries as well. St Andrew is also the patron saint of Russia, and if you think about it, a non-native saint of England could be seen to represent our multi-cultural society.
  • Options
    Originally posted by KoolCat
    I don't think it matters that St George was not originally English or that he is also the patron saint of other countries as well. St Andrew is also the patron saint of Russia, and if you think about it, a non-native saint of England could be seen to represent our multi-cultural society.

I like the way you think! Plus there is a lot that is good about England specifically our culture, Shakespeare for example, our science, Newton who discovered gravity existed, our politics in Churchill, I think it should be celebrated on a Bank Holiday on St George's Day.

BTW PNJ - the Union Jack is not the English flag it is the British flag, there is a difference because the British flag represents Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales too. The English flag is the red St George's cross (looks like +) on a white background.
  • Options
    BTW PNJ - the Union Jack

I know Kev. One cross stands for England, one for Ireland, one for Scotland.
  • Options
    i always celebrate st georges day!!
    in private though....i live in scotland!! :p