Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Teenage parents to receive £5,000 if return to college

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Teenage parents, between 16- and 19-years-old, wanting to return to college to undertake a full-time course will receive £5,000 per child. This money will be paid directly to the child minder; if the parents of the parents look after the child, then the mother or father of the child won't get anything. Do you think that this £5,000 offer is good or bad and why?

Comments

• Options
    I agree with Brit James: "why should people get PAID to have kids and go into education when most other people PAY to get educated and PAY to have children."
    The whole country is upside down. The governement end up trying to solve problems when they should be prevented in the first place.
    they get up the duff, they sort their life out

It could be argued that they *are* trying to sort their lives out now by wanting to go back to education, but although mistakes happen, they should be responsible enough not to get pregnant so young if they still want to go to school/get a job.
  • Options
    ooh education&money always gets me going, so i wont even start to say what i think...

Sociology at college used to get hectic when we debated what the government does and believes regarding money&education....
  • Options
    I have to disagree with some of what's been said earlier.

Pregnancies happen. Yes some by mistake but should they be punished for the rest of their lives?

What about people who have got pregnant through other means (say rape) and don't believe in abortion, etc... and have had the kid. Should they be refused the opportunity?
  • Options
    Originally posted by NinjaMaster
    I have to disagree with some of what's been said earlier.

Pregnancies happen. Yes some by mistake but should they be punished for the rest of their lives?

What about people who have got pregnant through other means (say rape) and don't believe in abortion, etc... and have had the kid. Should they be refused the opportunity?

Gotta say i agree with you Ninja.
  • Options
    Don't look on it as paying them 5 grand. It's help for paying for child-minders. I work (and have been working for the last 12 years of my life) and remember how hard it was 5 years ago (when my Son was born. Through choice I might like to add.) to pay for child-minders along with all the other stuff.

How about this. We don't give them the cash. They don't get qualifications. They don't get a high enough paying job. You continue to pay for there dole/child benifit/income support for the rest of their lives.

I welcome this. I think it gives people a way out of what they maybe see as a dark hole.
  • Options
    I'm not argueing with you either BJ. We're ermmm debating :thumb:

How about this scenario. You have a kid. You lose your job. You want to go back to Uni for more qualifications. You can't afford it cause of childminders fees. Do you knock back a 5G handout?
  • Options
    So we scrap all government hand-outs? Not everyone is fortunate enough to have nice earners like you and me BJ :p but I don't think that means they shouldn't at least get a chance to change things.
  • Options
    Why don't we just have government run nurseries and creches? Then we could get more kids to one 5k childminder, the parents can go back to education and work and all parents can be entitled to it not just those the government says should be entitled to it. I know really quite well off families who can't afford a childminder which also hampers the mother's ability to go back to work and contribute to society like she wants to. Plus the benefit would be greater as the many more parents who can't afford childcare can now have access to it, therefore can go out to work and therefore can contribute to government coffers through income tax.
  • Options
    I think it's a good idea .. if they stay at home they'll get nowhere in life .. if they go to college and get a decent job they'll end up paying the £5,000 back in the long run through paying more income tax and national insurance

And of coursesaving the cost of being onthe dole ...
  • Options
    I can see both points of the argument, and i do see it as kind of rewarding ppl for having children early, i agree that more should be done to stop so many teenage pregnancies. I think its a good idea though, being in the situation myself i cannot afford to get a child minder although my mother said if i want then she will babysit when i go onto colloge. My boyfriend works so he cannot look after the baby, and i wouldnt want my mother to look after my baby everyday! i had it i should look after it, shes already been a mother for her three children and she still is (my sister is only 14) i dont see why she should feel like she has to, to give me a chance of a better life. To be honest i think this will be a great oppourtunity for me and many others.:)
  • Options
    I agree with Ninja.

The problem here is that if you don't give them anything and they take benefits and sit at home all day diong sweet FA they get called all sorts of names.

If you offer them some money to pay for child support whilst they get an education they get called all sorts of names.

They're scum if they do and they're scum if they don't.

I think this is a good idea and a positive step. As long as these people are monitored to make sure that they are spending the money correctly and are actually going to school or college then I applaud these efforts.
  • Options
    I'm not going to pretend to understand this whole issue because I don't understand politics and education and grants and so on, but this is my take on it.

Rather than paying for childcare for them, wouldn't it be more practical to set up creches and day nurseries, so the parents can carry on with education if they want to, while still knowing that their child is being looked after. I just finished school, and a girl in my form who just had a baby didn't have to think twice about carrying on to college; the college she is going to has a creche, as mature students go there as well as 16 and 17 year olds. Surely in the long term, this would be a cheaper and more effective option?

I could've missed the point entirely, like I say I'm not going to pretend I understand the politics behind it, but I don't think teenage parents should feel pressured to go to college, if they wouldn't otherwise, just so they get extra benefits. Childcare facilities in college should be taken as standard in my opinion. Teenage parents should have exactly the same opportunities, choices and treatment as other teenagers in regard to going into further education.
  • Options
    I agree that pregnancies do happen and that people should not be penalised for that, but, in my opinion, they should not be rewarded for it either. That's essentially what this is doing. It's telling loads of young foolish people that they can get pregnant and get five grand. They wont necessarily be concerned with the fact that the baby will cost far more than that.

I think it's an entirely wrong idea.
  • Options
    As other people have previously said, start creches.

Or some kind of childcare vouchers, which can be redeemed by the carer.

As long as there is some way of making sure that money is spent on childcare, and nothing else, then it's a good idea.
  • Options
    firstly i personally dont think it is right, however i dont think it is entirely wrong!

our local primary school has to get rid of teachers because of lack of funding these children are our future and they are going to suffer from this. that money could be used for 'better' things, used for education to prevent it, i am working to set up a brook advisory clinic in our area, an advice center yet ther is no funding, yes because teenagers are using it to sort out their problems, if you gave them the opportunity again would they work to sort it out? these things need to be taken into account, this money could be spent on hospitals, health, education.

On the other hand, by giving them money least they can't go on shows like trisha and say they never had the chance and it will help them long run.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BritJames

the got up the duff - and they should pay for it themselves :P

I think you're being too stereotypical here. You're classing every pregnant teen as someone who doesnt pay their own way and what not. And i find the way you write 'they get up the duff' quite offensive, its not particularly politically correct now is it?

I had my daughter the day before my 16th birthday, and i stayed in college, finished my exams, and worked my ass off, and i have NEVER taken a penny off the social or out of 'your taxes'. I work three jobs at the moment, am completing a diploma in acting, and still make sure I have time with my daughter and my partner, and Im only 18.

Yes, you're right, there are girls who are careless, there are guys who are even more so, and no its not always fair, but there are people out there who find themsleves in awful situations, and through absolutely no fault of their own.

I come from a good family with good finances and a stable and rewarding background. My mum would help me out in a flash if she could, but i wont let my mum help me out unless im desperate, because I take responsibility for my life and my daughter and I do every damn thing I can to support us both. My mum goes to work, she's only 43, she has a great career, and so Jaz stays with a childminder, who I pay for.

I had to make the awful decision 3 weeks ago to have a termination because I fell pregnant again, however this was a wanted prgenancy with my partner. Unfortunately things didnt go to plan with his career and there was no way we could support us all. It was devasting because I really wanted that child, and I still do now, and it hurts me so much to think of what i've done, and i feel extremely guilty and a number of other emotions for it, however, I know that for my own sake, as well as those around me and that baby's, it wouldnt have been fair on those concerend for another child to be born. And so I paid, (yes dont worry i didnt take it from the NHS) a lot of money to regretably terminate that pregnancy.

However this doesnt change the fact that i already have a child to look after, All it does is show to you that some of us 'pregnant teens' do have brains and the capability of making the right decision, however there are girls out there who obviously dont, for whatever reason. And dont forget it takes two to tango.

Basically all im trying to say is that society is far to quick to judge you when you are a young parent, or a pregnant teen, and no one other than yourself knows your true circumstances. People need to take a step back sometimes and accept that there are people out there who are genuine, and maybe need the help they are offered very badly, and yes, there are people who are bullshitting and take the money whilst sitting on their backsides and who simply dont care, but just because of those few people, it shouldn't tarnish the rest of us who have to walk around with this unwanted and unneccessary stigma.