Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Hair straightening

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hiya. I straighten my hair with ghd straightners quite a lot (they are amazing!) Anyway, im really worried my hair is gonna get really dead soon. Has this happened to anyone?

Comments

• Options
    Straightening isn't the most ideal thing, but I think it's better than dying.
  • Options
    Hair is already dead.

It won't fall out either.
  • Options
  • Options
    i think that ghd straighteners are much better for your hair than ordinary metal ones... something to do with them being ceramic.

if youre worried, you could try using them on a lower heat setting if it has multiple settings, or you could give your hair a rest every few days. you could also try using serum or something which helps protect it i think... im sure if you look around, there are loads of products for heat protection:)
  • Options
    GHD straighteners are the best things ever :thumb:

Just make sure you use some serum or straightening balm, and use a conditioner every time you wash your hair. Don't straighten every day, save it for the weekends or evenings out. If you have time, what I usually do is let my hair dry naturally and then straighten it, rather than blowdrying as well, which damages hair even more. Depends on your hair type though - I can get away with doing that, but some people can't.
  • Options
    GHD :heart::heart:
  • Options
    What ones straighteners would u guys recommend? like whats the name for them? Which ones do u own?

• Options
    Originally posted by *Lisa*
    What ones straighteners would u guys recommend? like whats the name for them? Which ones do u own?

GHD (good hair day) ceramic thingies. They're £70-£90 depending where you get them. I'm not a girly girl by any means, but god damnit I love these things. Although standing on them hurts. Lots.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Smash
    GHD (good hair day) ceramic thingies. They're £70-£90 depending where you get them. I'm not a girly girl by any means, but god damnit I love these things. Although standing on them hurts. Lots.

And where would u say its best to get these? Can u buy them off the net? Thanks again :)
  • Options
    Looks like we're all GHD fans! They're easily the best ones around - used by lots of celebrities such as Jennifer Aniston.

You can buy them off the internet, but I got mine from a hairdresser's. Actually my mum bought them for me for Christmas, so I don't know how much they were, but they're around £80-£100. Worth looking around though, I'm sure there are good discounts on the internet.
  • Options
    I think the best place could well be a hairdressers near you - they may have cheaper prices. A lot of websites were selling them at discounts (£70 as opposed to £95 :eek: ) but the company were not amused and promptly told them to put the price up. Wankers.
    http://www.hqhair.com/ is the cheapest(!) I could find - £87.50.

They're horrendously popular so they can pretty much charge what they like now - there might be some cheaper websites, I'm not sure. There's loads to trawl through if you Google it.

I think I will cry if I ever break mine.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Smash

I think I will cry if I ever break mine.

At that price i'm sure anyone would. :)
  • Options
  • Options
    Ceramic hair straighteners are much better for your hair than ordinary ones. And as long as you use a heat protecting spray before you use your straighteners, your not damaging your hair that much. :)
  • Options
    GHD are good for your hair yes. Well not 'good' but better than others. If you use cheap metal straighteners, you may need to pull down the same piece of hair over and over again, but with the ceramic ones like GHD you just need to do it once then that piece of hair will be straight.

Giggles, my hairdresser told me that steam straighteners are a waste of time and aren't actually as good as dry ones. They put moisture into your hair as they straighten, which isn't necessarily as your hair quickly accumulates moisture from the atmosphere anyway. Or something. He gave me a good explanation, but I can't remember it.

By the way, he also told me that they might be taken off the market soon, as they're not approved by the EU or whatever it is which controlls these things, because they get so hot and they reckon it could be dangerous. So might be wise to buy them soon. But then again maybe not.
  • Options
    Originally posted by giggles3
    Are GHD straighteners good for your hair?-well as good as they can be for your hair??

I have been getting really bad split ends ever since I started using ghds!! I still use them cos they're fab otherwise, but juts means I have to get my hair trimmed every 2 months or so. Would still reccomend them, dunno what I'd do without them! :rolleyes:
  • Options
  • Options
    my mate was ADDICTED to straighteners but her hair became really brittle would fall out if you just held a bit in your hand, both of us stopped using them unless in emergencies!

what type might be banned soon?
  • Options
    Originally posted by giggles3
    Steam ones do tend to get very hot, tho my friend has a pair of professional ones from the hairdressers and they seem to get hotter :confused: But i have burnt myself a lot from steam ones. :( Il have to start looking round for a good pair-well when i get payed. cheers again. -x-

On my ones I always used to burn my leg or somethin on the water that u have to put in them :| so i stopped putting water in them.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Char_Baby
    my mate was ADDICTED to straighteners but her hair became really brittle would fall out if you just held a bit in your hand, both of us stopped using them unless in emergencies!

what type might be banned soon?

GHD apparently, although that could be a load of crap really.

Yeah my sister straightens her hair a lot. She has gorgeous shiny hair but I have noticed it's going quite ratty and brittle at the ends, and she's getting a lot of split ends. She really shouldn't do it so much, especially as she usually just puts it in a ponytail anyway.

Straighteners aren't good for your hair, but take care of it with moisturing, always use conditioner, and try to avoid overdoing it.
  • Options
    Ahhh, I love my ghd's so much *strokes her beautiful hair* but I hate them so much when they burn my finger. :(

I once accidently tried to straighten my ear with my old ones and since I burnt my finger on my ghd's I've been so worried that I'm going to burn my ear like I did with my old ones. :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by DaisyChainThing
    I once accidently tried to straighten my ear
    Fcuk. I did that once on holiday, didnt mean to though. Just clampled them onto my ickle ear and let it sizzle away for a few seconds. Yes, it caned...and was all red and horrible :(
  • Options
    the ghd ones are the £90 are they not? you can get cheeper ceramic ones cant you? ive got babyliss ones, they are the old gray ones with the blue steam bit one them, dont use the steam bit tho.
    my friend had the ghd ones and they are amazing but i really cant afford to pay that much for them but id love to have sum that work almost as good as those. anyone know any cheeper ones?
  • Options
    Ah, the Babyliss ones suck and they totally fucked up my hair. :( As soon as I went outside and there was like, a hint of moisture in the air my hair would either go frizzy (ARGH :mad: ) or wavy. WANK THINGS. They were so good at first though, everyone used to totally kiss my ass cos of my hair.
  • Options
    yeah to start with they were brilliant but yep shitty now, ne sort of moisture in the air and my hair frizzes :( i wish i cud afford good new ones :(
  • Options
    does anyone have this one? it looks pretty good, ceramic plates and all that, only £30 where as one that looks and sounds the same but by a differnt person is £80.
    wat you think?
  • Options
    I've been using GHDs near enough everyday for the last year and my hair is still in good condition :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by blonde__batman
    yeah to start with they were brilliant but yep shitty now, ne sort of moisture in the air and my hair frizzes :( i wish i cud afford good new ones :(

Just try to save up a bit at a time. The GHD things are really good. And even after I wash my hair it's still really quite straight as opposed to how it used to go. :|
    I think there are some that are a bit cheaper and they should be on www.hqhair.com like someone else said, but they aren't that much cheaper. It depends how much you can afford?
    In the end the Babyliss ones turn your hair really crappy and you just have to spend more money buying more products, etc to repair the damage.
    If you haven't already then you should get some of that spray that protects against heat damaging from blow driers and straighteners, especially if ya use ze Babyliss thingys.
  • Options
    GHD *bows in mercy*
    www.salonlines.co.uk i got mine for £85 i think
    i got some free serum too:D
  • Options