Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Who needs an enemy - wehen we can shoot ourselves

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Two US soldiers have been killed north of Kandahar, after an error during a B-52 bombing raid, according to US Central Command.
Another 20 US soldiers were injured and airlifted out of the area, with an unknown number of deaths among Afghan anti-Taleban fighters

The incident happened about 0530GMT on Wednesday, when a US special forces team called in air support, and the B-52 dropped a so-called smart bomb in the wrong place

Comments

• Options
    Smart bombs cant make up for human error.

Sad but unfortunately this is nothing new. Friendly fire is as old as war itself.
  • Options
    oh diddums. they're fighting a freaking war for fucks sake, of course people are gonna die. it's just unfortunate it was friendly fire, nowt that can be done about it tho, so stop the moaning and go back and kick some butt.

The ignorance is mind numbing
  • Options
    There is nothing friendly about friendly fire NOTHING.
    (but the yanks are good at it
  • Options
    YEAH! Go the yanks they hold the record don't they?

No...but seriously - I thought casualties were meant to come from The otherside shooting your troops?
    So much for precision bombing eh? They say they won't hit the innocent then they do!
  • Options
    Sad that you use the deaths of two Americans and several NA soldiers and the injury of dozens more as an opportunity to push your anti-war stuff byny.

The US has never said that these things never fail. It has never said no civilians will die.

Interesting story in the paper this morning...6 men who shaved their beards when they were liberated by the NA forces were captured by the taliban....The taliban soldiers said they had disgraced islam and they proceeded to hack at their faces with their knives. They hacked off the ears and noses of these 6 men and left them bleeding at the side of the road.

You fail to comment on how many of those US bombs have been hitting the people that do the kind of thing detailed above.
  • Options
    'War is Hell'

'There are no winners, just some that come out slightly less worse off'

What is wrong with peace, it doesn't just apply to us it applies to them too.

All evil needs to thrive is for good men to sit back and do nothing
  • Options
    this is UNBELIEVABLE. i'm sorry, i don't mind u having moral objections to war - i dont think it's all gain and glory, but sometimes it is necessary.

i'm still waiting for the answer to the question: "what the fuck we were supposed to do?" not do anything? oooh yeah, real good move people.

so tell me byny - have u never, EVER made a mistake in ur life? this was simple human error, it's just a fact of life that when make an error with a 2000lb'er, people are gonna notice, and people are gonna get hurt.

according to the pentagon, these US forces called in an airstrike to help them get rid of taliben forces they were fighting. a 2000lb bomb landed approximately 100m away, the blast radius injuring 19 and killing 3.

but please, people, d'ya think u could hit a pinhead from a b-52 at 30,000 feet? shit happens, especially in war. don't start telling me about how horrible all this is, for god's sake.

The ignorance is mind numbing
  • Options
    Originally posted by Marmite:
    'War is Hell'

'There are no winners, just some that come out slightly less worse off'

cast your mind back to world war 2 and hitler, then take that statment back.

it is a fact of war that the americans will blow themselves up on at least a couple of occasions, my wise gran always points out ' they have all the braun but no brains' - if we hadn't conducted this military operation it would be full blown nuclear war by now !

• Options
    hey, i may agree with baldog on alot of subjects but have i become him ? i just posted above thread and it says baldog on my screen ? is it just me that is reading that ?

drugs may be the road to nowhere, but at least there the scenic route
  • Options
    thats better !
  • Options
    Yeah, its funny to laugh at the dozy Yanks for blowing their own up. Hilarious.

Of course, the fact that they are fighting the Taliban for all our sakes doesnt go noticed. If the terrorists win, well all be ruled under the strict taliban regime....women dead, etc, etc.
  • Options
    cast your mind back to world war 2 and hitler, then take that statment back

There were no winners in WW2 im afraid. Everyone lost in that war.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Balddog:
    There were no winners in WW2 im afraid. Everyone lost in that war.

Baldog if we had lost the war we would be german, granted this country paid heavily both with lives of innocent young men and financially but we didn't lose, all those people fought that war to achieve the freedom we have today, and we should all remember that. Hitler lost the war, we most certainly did not

• Options
    I think that if you talk to those people who fought in that war and lost their friends, family and everyone they knew, they wouldnt agree with you that they had won anything. They may have beaten Hitler but everyone lost in that war.
  • Options
    maybe you should talk to a few jews who survived, of course people lost lives and everybody feels for them, but had we of just let hitler do as he pleased there may of been alot more suffering down the line, we made a stand against evil and removed it and all its threats into the bargain, a costly victory, but a victory. Vietnam is an example of a war with no winners, but we won world war 2 plain and simple

• Options
    Originally posted by ebenEzer bad:
    cast your mind back to world war 2 and hitler, then take that statment back.

You mis-understand, i'm merely pointing out that war isn't fun, and my personal view on warefare is that there are no winners, yes the madman was stopped but can we really call it a victory and say we won when we lost so much?! I say we just didn't loose so badly.

Edited to say Balddog you've got it in one.

All evil needs to thrive is for good men to sit back and do nothing

[This message has been edited by Marmite (edited 06-12-2001).]
  • Options
    Yeah why dont I talk to those Jews...Ill ask them about the millions of fellow Jews who were killed. Ill ask them about their family members who were butchered by the Germans. Ill ask them about having their children forced from them and onto trains bound for extermination camps.

I wonder if they will say they are winners.
  • Options
    I understand the point you and baldog are making, but those killed did not die in vain, imagine if hitler hadn't been challenged at such cost, upon arrival at these shores revenge for world war 1 would of been sweet for him and he may of set up some concentration camps to remove us, now that would of been a waste of life. The lose of british soilders in that war was a great shame no doubt about it, but in the context of the bigger picture as harsh as it sounds it was a worthwhile lose, in dying they saved many many more lives. Ideally there should of been no war and no lives lost but due to a nutter this wasn't the case, we won a war against evil and i don't see how anybody could argue with that. War is bad, peace is better obviously but we don't live in a beautiful world full of harmony and from time to time you gotta make a stand. We won the war at cost we should always remember and celebrate these people and in the future it'll happen again, maybe i will die in such circumstances, but if i do, i'm dam sure i would like to die considering the war won

• Options
    Originally posted by Balddog:

I wonder if they will say they are winners.
    At least their fuckin alive to have an opinion, had we of lost the war i'm pretty sure they'd be worse off now.

• Options
    Dont get me wrong here. Im not in anyway saying that what our soldiers did wasnt the supreme sacrifice. It was an amazing thing they did and we should always honour them for it.

They beat Hitler, they stopped nazis running the most powerful country in Europe. They did a good thing. Unfortunately there was a massive cost for that victory.

We can say they won in the simplest sense of the word, in that they beat the enemy. If you go a little deeper you will realise that they didnt win anything, they just lost a little less than the Germans.
  • Options
    agreed, but it is still worth considering what we prevented from happening in terms of lose of life too. I would like to think that when we reflect on what those soilders died for, we reflect that they won in doing it. From point a through to point b both sides had alot less than they started with, which is the point your making i believe, but i also believe that in losing what we lost we won the war and prevented further loses, which is an important fact to consider when you point out everybody lost. People who did not die are basically winners, including you and me and for that i am grateful

• Options
    When people talk of winning something it usually means that that something is good and that winning it is a glorious thing. Thats not the case with war. Theres no glory to be gained, just death and blood.

WW2 was necessary and many people were saved because of the actions of our soldiers. Unfortunately millions died which negates and good that may have come from the war. So we saved the people of Europe from being killed...but the price was so great that it kind of balances out to something at just about shit level.
  • Options
    [/B] [/QUOTE]
    but please, people, d'ya think u could hit a pinhead from a b-52 at 30,000 feet? shit happens, especially in war. don't start telling me about how horrible all this is, for god's sake.

[/B][/QUOTE]

thats the prob 30,000 feet. If the RAF do a bomb run is at 500 feet and fast. remember the brits that got zapped in kuwait? The yanks had a A10 warthog fire at 20,000 feet with two AGM huges missiles! The A10 is designed and Armoured with titanium! for low level strikes why do u think its got a tank eating 30mm gatling gun on da nose! The yanks have some of the best hardwear going better than the RAF's yet thay still see the need to fly high and safe, and shoot things thay cant see. We risk low level runs (successful) in dated aircraft like the Jaguar GR1 Harriers and Tornados (yes Tornados are dated)

• Options
    so tell me byny - have u never, EVER made a mistake in ur life?

Nope - at least I have never made a mistake in life that has meant the death of another person.

All I was doing is stating a fact - so sorry I offended you!!!!
  • Options
    No problem with you posting facts byny but its very offensive when you use the deaths of US soldiers to further your own agenda. Your snide comments about smart bombs and making jokes about such things just isnt cool.
  • Options
    exactly what balddog said - it's not the fact that u pointed out the facts, its the way ur pointed them out, more or less taking them out of context.

as for never having made a mistake - but u've never played around with 2000lb bombs, i take it?
  • Options
    Oh me gawd - is that what the US army is doing - playing around with them!!!

SHOCKING

Thing is you lovely people...whenever anyone of you 'WAR WAR WAR' people have made VILE jokes about Afghanis, women under the Taliban etc you've all laughed along with the 'Joke' and yet when I just state a simple fact you accuse me of using the deaths of men to further my own 'AGENDA'!!

and...whenever someone gives hard facts by educated people on things like war and nuclear weapons you immediately dismiss the facts as some kind of left wing rant even though they are just that - facts. If you want to be sucked into the party line (whatever party) so be it but closing your eyes to any bit of information that doesn't tally with what you have been told is a dangerous thing.

FREEDOM is knowledge of one's necessity - Hegel
  • Options
    yes, but byny...facts are all well and good, but facts can prove a lot of things. a smart man (E.h Carr, in fact) once said that
    History is a core of interpretation surrounded by the hard shell of facts
    meaning basically that the facts are all well and good, but it's how you interpret those facts.

what we all agree upon is that 3 men were killed and 19 injured when a b-52 accidently dropped a 2000lb bomb around 100 meters away from these troops.

i dont think any of us are denying that, and we thank you for bringing this information to our attention. however, many of us right wingers, "WAR WAR WAR" supporters, as you call us, see this merely as an a hazard of war. when 2000lb explosives are being dropped, mistakes can and WILL happen. No one in the US Forces ever said they would never hurt civilians, they said they would try and minimise collateral damage. it was troops that were hurt, in the heat of battle, unfortunately by their own side.

shit happens. the media is playing this up, cos the whole world has turned squeamish, not willing to risk lives. well, here's some news: bombs are MEANT to kill, bullets are MEANT to cause death. it's all about minimising the risk, and they do this, often, through good technology. but the technology is not perfect. human error can cause problems at times as well.

what you lefties see it is a sign that the war isn't working, more evidence that war is a horrific, pointless excersise. well yes, war is horrific, none of us disagree. but it is far from pointless, and it brings me back to the question i've been asking since the war began:

what were supposed to do otherwise?
  • Options
    Now you all have a point and have all expressed it in your own way. What I wanna point out is, the troops were engaged in a fire fight (any ex mod ppl around here will know) small arms fire is rarely done over a distance 800 meters useuly under 500 meters. ne1 good at triggernomatry? 30,000feet drop and no more than 1,625 feet(500meters) drift
    what angle dose that leave? this bomb would drop though two diffrent wind directions of diferent wind speeds, He did do well in how close he was BUT it should of been a low level attack or none at all.

19 injured 3 dead that 3 sections taken out of action, thats half a patrol.

[ 07-12-2001: Message edited by: Ibbow ]
  • Options
    It's common sense, you dont use high altitude bombers when you have your own troops in the vicinity. Helicopter gunships would have proved more effective.