Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Hayfever

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey everyone, just wondering what you lot have tried in terms of hayfever treatments? I've been taking an anti-histamine (not sure if I can say the brand name so I won't!) every morning, but I'm still really bunged up and my eyes are all blood shot and watery and horrible! And my throat is really itchy which is driving me mad! Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    There is a thread about this from a little while ago somewhere on here - try searching for it.

I use Flixonase - it's a nasal spray I got from my doctors last year but it's now available without a prescription from Boots.
  • Options
    I take clarityn as soon as I get up. Used to take benadryl but it didn't work too well.
  • Options
    I am taking flixonase nasal spray and neoclarityn once a day.
  • Options
    my eyes are all blood shot and watery and horrible

Use eyedrops
    And my throat is really itchy which is driving me mad!

Losengers, i think that is spelt right,just use any kind of throat sweets to make u throat feel better.

I also have a cure for sore throats ;)
  • Options
    Ive tried everything, yet i still get really bad hayfever!
  • Options
    I take a Clartyn first thing in the morning and sometimes another one about mid afternoon if I feel bad enough (never take more than 2 though).

Just started using a nose spray thing as well - begins with a B. Seems to work fine. Got that on a prescription last week.
  • Options
    Ego, do you mean Beconase?

This is in the other thread too, but I'll say it again... I first started getting hayfever when I was 11-12 and since then I've tried just about all the tablets (and all the new versions) available and none of them worked for me. I also had Rhinolast nasal spray for a couple of years, but that didn't nothing for me either. Then last year, my doc gave me Flixonase and it was like a miracle cure - only had to use it every two weeks and it cured every single sypmtom. This year, I started using it again, and for the past week I've been sneezing alot, but that's it - no "stuffy" feeling, and only the occassional itchy eyes (have bought eye drops, just in case) and itchy throat.

I think (or I'm hoping!) I'm actually growing out of hayfever now... my doc did say it would happen - pity I just had it every summer during secondary school and college and while doing all my exams!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Crystal Tipps
    Ego, do you mean Beconase?

Yeah that's the one! It's alright - but I don't feel very sophisticated using it :eek: :rolleyes:
  • Options
    you can have steroid treatment. more expensive thus doctors dont usually tell you about it, but my brother who has incredibly bad asthma, like incapacitating is on it and he takes one treatment (i think its a pill) every 2 weeks or so. Ask your doctor about that I think it's the most effective treatment, but sometimes a little hardcore if other treatments work....

Personally, I have eyedrops, nasal spray and clarytin allergy tablets. Which I've just ran out of :(

Oh dear :crying:
  • Options
    Anyone else get swollen eyelids? Mine are getting really bad.
  • Options
    Yep, I have wonderfully swolen eyelids at the moment - so attractive! I've just got some eye drops from my chemist, they're kind of working, but still really itchy, and my nose is REALLY blocked! I'm gonna try clarityn I think, since so many people take it.
  • Options
    Are your sinuses hurting as well? The two are obviously connected, my sinuses are killing me and my eyelids are swollen. Apart from that I feel great :mad:
  • Options
    I cant remember wether it was Boots or superdrug but one of them has a special offer on their hayfever stuff.
    If anyone doesent get them on prescription then its worth getting them while they are on offer :)
  • Options
    Has anyone actually tried eating lots of honey for Hayfever??

The theory is that you're allergic to pollen and eating locally made - not too super filtered honey (which of course is made from pollen) will help your body to build up it's resistanced to pollen.

Some people recommend mixing honey with cinemon powder.

Don't have hayfever myself - but heard it recommended to people loads of times.
  • Options
    I was in Boots yesterday and they have a 3-for-2 offer on hayfever tablets - Clarityn, Benadryl, Prition and another one, I think (please excuse the poor spellings!).

The worse part of my hayfever was painful sinuses, but the spray I use now cleared all that :)
  • Options
    Well I now have steroid drops for my eyes....but only after a slightly dramatic turn of events! Basically half of the front of my eye swelled up (the membrane bit), there was loads of yellow gunge underneath it....it was really gross, and I couldn't look any way but straight ahead. It's horrible, but at least it prompted my doc to give me something that'll actually work! ;)
  • Options
    I manage my hay fever really well with homoeopathic remedies
    they work really well
    boots has a good selection

feel free to PM me if anyone wants more info
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fairy
    Ive tried everything, yet i still get really bad hayfever!
    Then you haven't tried everything!

See your doctor. Obviously over the counter drugs aren't working.

If you need any information such as this then go to the chemist and ask to speak to the pharmacist. :)
  • Options
    I've tried clarityn and benadryl, they seem to ease sneezing (which is what I suffer from most) but I didn't find them particularly useful for anything else.

Apparantly you can help prevent it if you put a bit of vaseline under your nose as pollen sorta..sticks to it rather than going into your nose. Tried it on Monday because I had an exam, and 10 minutes after I'd got up I'd already had a couple of sneezing fits and decided it wouldn't be great if I spent my exam sneezing as opposed to working. I have to say it did seem to work, so maybe that would be worth a try. I don't see how it would do much good for itchy eyes and sore throats though..

Bloody hayfever :mad:
  • Options
    Just a couple of points.

Firstly, tablets are notoriously bad at controlling eye symptoms. If your eyes are bad, you really do need eyedrops.

Secondly, I know this sounds really awful, but if you have a lot of pollen in your nasal passages and you`re desparate to get it out, this is a good way. If you can manage to do it sniff some water up your nose, let it run down into the back of your mouth and spit it out. I know it goes against everything your brain tells you to allow liquid up your nose, but it really works.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    my hayfever has been really bad this year but apparently the pollen count is the highest its been for over 30 years. i know most people wont take any consolation from that but its interesting :) most peoples hayfever will be flaring up really badly.

you are not alone!!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tates
    Basically half of the front of my eye swelled up (the membrane bit), there was loads of yellow gunge underneath it....it was really gross, and I couldn't look any way but straight ahead.

The same thing happened to me the other day (except my vision wasn't affected) - it was scary! I wasn't sure if it was down to my hayfever or not, so I got myself down to the doctors, and he wasn't sure either! He told me to keep using my usual eye drops (Opticom) and gave me some high strength antihistamines. It went down over night and my eyes have been fine since, thankfully! :)

Anyone ever had their lip swell up, due to hayfever? It happened to me last year (its only the right half of my bottom lip tho), but my doc put it down to something I'd eaten and gave me high strength antihistamines (same ones as I got for my eye this time!), and it took about 48 hours to go down completely. It feels like your lip/cheek feels (as if it's huge, but you actually look normal) after you've been to the dentist, and had a filling or something, but it actually looks like it too.

It happened to me again this year (same place), the morning after I had problems with my eye :( Wasn't painful or anything (just numb, really) but I stayed off work cos it didn't look good and the tablets completely knock me out, so I slept on the sofa for 7 hours solid (after two tablets!).
  • Options
    Lil Laura wrote:
    Apparantly you can help prevent it if you put a bit of vaseline under your nose as pollen sorta..sticks to it rather than going into your nose. Tried it on Monday because I had an exam, and 10 minutes after I'd got up I'd already had a couple of sneezing fits and decided it wouldn't be great if I spent my exam sneezing as opposed to working. I have to say it did seem to work, so maybe that would be worth a try. I don't see how it would do much good for itchy eyes and sore throats though..

Bloody hayfever :mad:

Oooh another great tip! Thanks!
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Moonmoth wrote:
    Oooh another great tip! Thanks!

Why are you answering all these threads. Goodness me.

Please read the good manners guide and STOP BRINGING UP OLD THREADS!

Sheesh.