Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

amitriptyline

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Has anybody ever taken this amitriptyline. Just be interested to hear if anybody has taken it and if it's helped them ?

Comments

• Options
    Re: amitriptyline
    Originally posted by Carolina
    Has anybody ever taken this amitriptyline. Just be interested to hear if anybody has taken it and if it's helped them ?
    I'm not sure if your still interested as you posted it ages ago but I've just been prescribed it. Have you used it since posting this? Or has anyone else? I was just looking to see if anyone had made any positive or negative comments on it really.
  • Options
    i got prescribed it in the summer but the parents found out and took them off me...there are a few people i know on here who have had it...one in particular who helped me quite bit...she should see this and reply if i know her.
  • Options
    Originally posted by The Icy Aphrodite
    i got prescribed it in the summer but the parents found out and took them off me
    Why did your parents do that? Surely it was prescribed for a good reason?
  • Options
    well my parents have some sort of phobia with hteir kids being on antidepressants and also they never really wanted to admit anything was wrong...so they acted like i was putting on a show :/
  • Options
    well my parents have some sort of phobia with hteir kids being on antidepressants and also they never really wanted to admit anything was wrong...so they acted like i was putting on a show :/
    Oh. That's a shame (on your parents part I guess). My parents don't know about my anti-depressants but as I don't live with them it's unlikely they'd find out.
  • Options
    dont take this the wrong way hun but id only tell people who need to know...i mean on here is something else because we hardly know you but some people are odd about antidepressants (like my parents)....and basically its not something to be flashed around.

that sorta came out the wrong way... :s
  • Options
    dont take this the wrong way hun but id only tell people who need to know...i mean on here is something else because we hardly know you but some people are odd about antidepressants (like my parents)....and basically its not something to be flashed around.

that sorta came out the wrong way... :s
    I agree. I only tell people I want to know like close friends etc, although I did tell my university tutor yesterday as Kermit had said something about it to someone else on the top thread on here. Excluding online (where I really don't care as I'm anonomous) I keep it need to know only. I deliberately go out of my way to hide it from my parents as I think they would be very upset and/ or over react etc.
  • Options
    ah the good old happy pills

i was given amitriptyline mainly because the doc thought sleeping or should i say not sleeping was abig factor in my depression, having been through 3 different anti depressants they were by far the most useful when taken properly they definatly helped its just getting the dosage right

i hope alls alright x
  • Options
    i knew she'd post sometime....and yeh sleeping was a huge part of mine too...so like hmm
  • Options
    yep, i was on them for a long time.
    1 x 25 mg i think, i can't really remember, sorry
    i know people who were taking higher dosages, on a night, to help with sleep

at first it was really weird, just felt so tired, slurred speech, i felt wasted for 4 or 5 days as my body got used to them i suppose.

i think they were a help, i was on them for depression and irritable bowel syndrome, something about subduing the nerve endings i think.

i moved away (to holland) never registered with a doctor and eventually ran out of them. i know it's not the best way to come of medication, for one i never discussed it with the doctor, and just stopped, no reduction in the dosage or anything. i didn't feel bad when i came of them, but i still wouldn't recommend just stopping taking medication.

i think it's been about 7 months now since i had any. my life has improved and i do feel better about stuff.

i still take propranalol (beta-blockers) for my panic / nerves though.
  • Options
    i knew she'd post sometime....and yeh sleeping was a huge part of mine too...so like hmm

*shrugs*
    insomnia causes an odd sleeping pattern forcing you into sleeping unsociable hours, meaning your spending less time with mates and school and work can become effected making you depressed

i didnt realise this thread was so old
  • Options
    Thanks for your responses! :)

I think that sleep does play quite a role in my depression and like rockerchick I find that I am often awake at different hours to those around me.

And sorry if I was bringing up a really old thread... I'm never sure when it's best to do a search or start a new thread on the same topic!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Randomgirl
    Thanks for your responses! :)

I think that sleep does play quite a role in my depression and like rockerchick I find that I am often awake at different hours to those around me.

And sorry if I was bringing up a really old thread... I'm never sure when it's best to do a search or start a new thread on the same topic!

your stuck between the devil and the deep blue sea with some people round here, bringup an old thread and your in for it repeat it and your still in for it!

If you ever need to chat pm mex