Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

teens and politics

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
New government site

Which can only be accessed from schools after teachers have registered you and any email responses to questions get sent to the school email address - because of course, all under 18s are AT school. What do you think about it?

Susie :rolleyes:

Comments

• Options
    As usual the Govt takes a good concept and cocks it up.

Why reply to the school?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    As usual the Govt takes a good concept and cocks it up.

Agreed.
  • Options
    'Teachers must register their details and any responses will be sent to the school's e-mail address.

Once registered, schools will be sent log-in details so that pupils can access the site.

It is hoped that eventually lessons will be planned around debates held on the site.'

Using school as the mediator between children and MPs will only deter children in my opinion. Questions will obviously be screened and only a selective few will answered. Maybe it should be done via a message board system; children leave messages and the MPs answer them. It would cut time, hassle, be easily accessible and could be moderated.
  • Options
    Oh Ben Bradshaw, my local (i'm still not representing my constituants) MP

Yeah, it'll all go pear shaped now.

"The site promises to pass comments made by young people directly to MPs and relevant ministers in an effort to improve the dialogue between under-18s and politicians. "

Right, politicians complain about young people being (supposedly) politically apathetic, yet when they do have a view aboit something, the politicans say we don't understand the issues.
  • Options
    Originally posted by ElysiumUnknown
    Maybe it should be done via a message board system; children leave messages and the MPs answer them. It would cut time, hassle, be easily accessible and could be moderated.

Yes.

Maybe a given politician could read thesite politics board (if they don't already). Not on a moderator basis, or like Europe_Minister, but as just another user...not concentrated on one Q&A thread.

I know these people are busy...but checking the boards now and then doesn't take much (unless they get addicted).

It'd make for some interesting debates, and people's views might even be taken onboard...

*gets head out of clouds*
  • Options
    How are purverts going to exploit a site about POLITICS? What kind of sick twisted individual gets a hard-on from the West Lothian problem or collective responsibility. If the government actually wanted to speak to us then they'd do it directly, not through some shitty paranoid middle-man. Maybe MP's should take the example of the Europe Minister as a precedent and come on thesite.org? Direct and un-censored debate with younger people, I wonder if they would be able to hack it?
  • Options
    Originally posted by bad seed
    but checking the boards now and then doesn't take much (unless they get addicted).

Yeah, I can just see John Prescott on Anything Goes, or engaged in a discussion about anal sex in the Sex forum :lol:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Yeah, I can just see John Prescott on Anything Goes, or engaged in a discussion about anal sex in the Sex forum :lol:

:lol:

*in John Prescott voice*

"Look Tone, the public would like us much more if we shaved our pubic hair"