Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Water - Making it more Interesting

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I want to drink more water and greatly reduce drinking soft drinks - I can't believe how many cans of coke I've had this week since the weather got a bit warm.

But there's just one thing .. water is so ... well you know it's boring!!

And I don't know if this is because we live in a hardwater area but it makes me thirsty .. Like I can drink a nice cold coke and I feell my thrist has been quenced .. but with water I feel like I want more and more.

I did try today taking a lemon and slicing it really thin, like 1 mm thick and putting a few slices in a glass of water and it tasted a bit more interesting.

I'm just wondering - could there be some ill effects (or even some benefits) to doing this?

What about other fruits like Lime?

I don't want to keep drinking sugary drinks espacially with summer coming.

Comments

• Options
    I don't think putting slice of fruit in it has any benefits or ill effects :) Adding cordial (low sugar/cal if you prefer) has got to be better than Coke, so you could try that - have a look next time you're in the supermarket, they do loads of new flavours now :)

I can't drink water just on it's own - reacts with the metal of my brace and leaves a funny metallic taste in my mouth, so I just add cordial - still don't drink 8 glasses a day tho! :(
  • Options
    lemon is great, no long term ill effetcs
    go for it
    even better is squeezing the juice of half a lemon in. loads of vit c. plus it works as a liver tonic.

I don't see a problem with using lime or orange either

cold water always tastes better that room temp.

flavoured waters from the supermarket are normally full of sugar and aspartamene (sp??) - may as well just drink coke
  • Options
    get sugar free flavoured water or sugar free or no added sugar cordials, other than that there is not much you can do.
    the lemon though will get if a little flavour!
  • Options
    I always went with the 'I don't like water' thing, but if you make an effort to drink it, it becomes a habbit more than anything else. Adding lemon slices is fine. If the water out of the tap tastes cack, you might want to consider getting a water filter - my mother thinks I'm talking out of my arse, but I can definitely tell the difference.
  • Options
    Originally posted by wee wuman
    get sugar free flavoured water or sugar free or no added sugar cordials, other than that there is not much you can do.
    the lemon though will get if a little flavour!

the only thing about the sugar free ones is the unknown long term effects of the artificial sweeteners they put in them, eg. phyenlyalanine and aspartame..

apparently can cause brain deterioration:eek:
  • Options
    hmmmmmm thats nice to know since im diabetic and been using atificial sweetners and products containing them for 15 years!
    my brain is ok! (i think)
  • Options
    Well I am drinking more water now out of habit and determination (part of the diet/get buff thing). I drink alot of filtered water from our Brita filter, tap water, Evian and Volcanic.

Different types of water make it more interesting in my opinion! And drink 2 glasses at a time :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by wee wuman
    hmmmmmm thats nice to know since im diabetic and been using atificial sweetners and products containing them for 15 years!
    my brain is ok! (i think)

well, i think that the artificial sweeteners are better for you than sugar!

i used to eat loads of it in my diet, then read something about it and got scared!
  • Options
    Originally posted by clara

Personally I'd rather stuff myself with sugar than artificial sweeteners. Sugar is something natural, but stuff like aspartame is more like poison. =X

And I started drinking loadsa water after I started practicing. It feels so much nicer than anything else. =) But I still don't drink enough.
  • Options
    One problem I had last night was chest and backpain pains at night - I've had them before in the past not very often at all maybe once every 2 months - it's something to do with indigestion - heart burn - something like that - indigestion tablets usually sorts it out for me, but couldn't find the tablets last night so hardly slept!!

But I'm wondering if it was the multiple glasses of water with lemon slices that may be to blame? i.e. too much Acid in my system? I put about 3 very think slices of lemon in a glass and kept refilling the same glass with water .. using the same slices ... maybe just coindence.

Anyway I'm OK drinking water with food but so boring just on it's own. I think buying those flavoured water from store would be too expensive and no enough room in the fridge for any more bottles!!

I remember using a Britta water filter jug many years ago and could taste the difference - only thing was I preferred the unfiltered taste!!!

The jug is now in my parents holiday home abroad - there they have to boil the water and allow it to cool before drinking it.
  • Options

just incase anyone misinterprets that, i meant it as the artificial sweeteners are better if youre diabetic- but other wise, theyre not:)
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    One problem I had last night was chest and backpain pains at night - I've had them before in the past not very often at all maybe once every 2 months - it's something to do with indigestion - heart burn - something like that - indigestion tablets usually sorts it out for me, but couldn't find the tablets last night so hardly slept!!

But I'm wondering if it was the multiple glasses of water with lemon slices that may be to blame? i.e. too much Acid in my system? I put about 3 very think slices of lemon in a glass and kept refilling the same glass with water .. using the same slices ... maybe just coindence.

i dont think this could be to do with the acidity of the lemon, since youre putting in such small slices, orange juice would contain far more acid that...

it could be that the water is making you bloated because youre drinking too much? i know when i drink alot of water during a meal it makes it quite uncomfortable for an hour or so! other than that, dont know...

:)
  • Options
    You shouldn't drink more than about one glass of water with a meal, otherwise you'll feel bloated, exactly as you said clara.

I don't have a problem with drinking water, I drink between 2 and 3 litres a day. If you have problems drinking it a good way is to fill a 1.5 litre bottle with water - or buy a 1.5 litre bottle of mineral water if you can't stand tap water. Then just drink out of that during the day. When it's gone you'll know you've had your recommended daily amount, or near enough.

Putting lemon in it sounds like a good idea - I don't really see how it would have adverse effects. Or there's that Volvic 'touch of fruit' stuff - that's quite nice. Cordials such as Ribena or Robinson's fruit and barley would be good too, except I don't really like them so I'd rather just drink water on its own. Wouldn't go for low sugar stuff though, I have a real thing about artificial sweetners. Can't stand them.
  • Options
    i dont think this could be to do with the acidity of the lemon, since youre putting in such small slices, orange juice would contain far more acid that...

it could be that the water is making you bloated because youre drinking too much? i know when i drink alot of water during a meal it makes it quite uncomfortable for an hour or so! other than that, dont know...

:)

I'm not sure I think I'm quite sensitive to even small amounts of things.

I also have a problem with oil in food.

For instance Fridays at work used to be Fish and chips day - I loved the fish at first but give me two hours and I could taste the oil from the fryer in my mouth - the same thing happens when I have say two packets of normal crisps.

But grilled fish is no problem. And things like Thai Bites are baked not fried like most crisps.

• Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    I'm not sure I think I'm quite sensitive to even small amounts of things.

I also have a problem with oil in food.

For instance Fridays at work used to be Fish and chips day - I loved the fish at first but give me two hours and I could taste the oil from the fryer in my mouth - the same thing happens when I have say two packets of normal crisps.

But grilled fish is no problem. And things like Thai Bites are baked not fried like most crisps.

you could probably taste it because they fry them in so much crap!

i find i cant eat fatty stuff anymore after being on a 'fat free diet' for about 2 years (i already know thats v dangerous so noone needs to tell me:))

its probably not a bad thing that you cant eat the fatty swtuff-its not good for you-break the cycle now before its too late!!:p
  • Options
    Cordial

Blackcurrant, orange, lime, strawberry....... I would have thought this was pretty obvious as a way to drink more water and make it less boring!! :confused:
  • Options
    can't drink water just on it's own - reacts with the metal of my brace and leaves a funny metallic taste in my mouth

How can water react with your brace? I have a brace and i don't think its happened to me, and i've never heard of it happen to anyone else until now! Do you know what metal it is?

I can't drink fizzy sugary drinks without drinking water after, as i can just feel the sugar clinging to my teeth.

Add Ribena, it's fabulous!
  • Options
    I don't drink a huge amount of water any more, cos we used to have a filter and now don't - it broke, and i live in a VERY hardwater area, so it tastes kinda manky.

And yes, keep off aspartame - flavoured water has it in, as well as ANYTHING that says 'low sugar' or 'no added sugar' and most low calorie stuff. It's really bad for you, and it triggers my M.E (Which is why i don't have anything with it in).

Unless you're diabetic of course :)
  • Options
    i hated drinking water till the doc said i had too and no more alcohol!. try squeesing fresh lemon into a glass of water - that quenches my thirst
  • Options
    add Robinson's orange and pineapple to the water or something similar that will help
  • Options
    Originally posted by jacaranda
    add Robinson's orange and pineapple to the water or something similar that will help

I want to avoid adding processed products to it, something like a squeeze from a real lemon is OK, but don't want to rely on cordials as most contain tonnes of sugar!

... Wan to give my system a break from processing sugar!!