Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Food

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
For quite a while now I have been cutting down on the amount that i am eating and now I will only eat a very small amount of food a day, so that other people don't notice that there is anything wrong.
No one has noticed that I am doing this, and I haven't got any thinner (although I have gone down from a size 10 to a size 6) but I really want to stop this now as I am starting to feel dizzy a lot of the time, but I don't know how to stop, the thought of eating terrifies me, and I don't understand why because its not like I particularly want to lose weight really, I guess that maybe I just have a small appetite or something.
I weigh myself every day and i'm not underweight either, i'm in between 7 and 7 1/2 stone which is okay as I am only 5'2"
I really really really can't talk to my friends or family about this, as the the thought of anyone else knowing terrifies me, so what should I do? I can't go to the doctor either.

Comments

• Options
    Actually you are slightly underweight according to the bmi, from bbc health:

"Your weight is in the range that is classified as underweight. It could be that you eat a varied and well-balanced diet but are naturally very slim. If so, there is no need to change what you eat, except perhaps to eat more food and make sure you are getting all the energy and nutrients you need to stay healthy."

"You should not try to lose any weight. Weight loss offers no health benefits. If you are restricting your food intake to achieve thinness you are at risk of nutritional deficiencies and ill health, because being too thin increases your chance of developing health problems such as osteoporosis (brittle bones). If you regularly make yourself sick, take laxatives or diuretics as a means of weight control, you should seek medical attention immediately. If you lose weight suddenly or for an unknown reason you should also see your doctor."

The fact that you say you don't want other people to notice anything is wrong and that you have dropped to a size 6 but are no thinner, and that you are weighing yourself EVERY DAY suggests to me that you have a problem that needs addressing. You are feeling dizzy because you are not eating enough, and if you continue to eat so little you could do yourself some serious damage. You need to go and see your GP and talk about it, why do you say you can't? Everything you say to them will be confidential and it is their job to help you. Please make an appointment with them.

I'd also urge you to confide in a close friend or relative, people who care about you truly should be there for you through the good times AND the bad, and I think you could use the support.

You could also try the eating disorders helpline number which is at the bottom of this article

on anorexia

If you listen to nothing else I have said, please do go and make that appointment with your GP, and if you do not get on with your doctor then ask to see someone else at your surgery. You really need to seek some help.

Take care of yourself
    And remember the boards are always here

Susie :)

Our body image special
  • Options
    Re: Food
    Originally posted by purplesocks
    For quite a while now I have been cutting down on the amount that i am eating and now I will only eat a very small amount of food a day, so that other people don't notice that there is anything wrong.
    No one has noticed that I am doing this, and I haven't got any thinner (although I have gone down from a size 10 to a size 6) but I really want to stop this now as I am starting to feel dizzy a lot of the time, but I don't know how to stop, the thought of eating terrifies me, and I don't understand why because its not like I particularly want to lose weight really, I guess that maybe I just have a small appetite or something.
    I weigh myself every day and i'm not underweight either, i'm in between 7 and 7 1/2 stone which is okay as I am only 5'2"
    I really really really can't talk to my friends or family about this, as the the thought of anyone else knowing terrifies me, so what should I do? I can't go to the doctor either.

i think you have a problem...
    firstly, if youve gone from a size 10 to 6, you have got thinner. secondly, you are underweight for your height-you should weigh between 8-10 stone if youre 5''2...

the fact that youre feeling dizzy means youre not getting enough energy from youre food, try to stop seeing food as something you should be scared of-its a neccessity for life-its your bodys fuel and without it, youll end up really ill and then youll die(god that sounds harsh.. sorry:))

but youve got to see that by not eating enough, youre not only not getting enough energy but youre also not getting enough nutrients which are essential-especially when youre growing.

if you need anymore help, PM me :)
  • Options
    in this case not helpful advice - susie
  • Options
    I agree with the others you sound well under weight - If your folks see you every single day then it's hard to notice your weight changing but people who haven't seen you for a long time will notice.

Do you smoke??

Just wondering cos my Dad started up recently and has lost weight cos food no longer tasted that good to him now.

We see him everyday and don't noticed the weight loss but when people come to visit it's very obvious to them.
  • Options
    The thought of telling anyone scares me, and I am also very scared of talking to strangers and people who I don't know very well, I can't even ever make phone calls to people :(
    Nope I don't smoke, smoking is disgusting
  • Options
    do you have a friend you trust and find it easy to talk to?

i really do think you should try talking to someone, once you start to, it will make it alot easier for you:)
  • Options
    You can write down how you feel and take it with you to your GP so they can read it, or print off this page...

I know it is hard to make that move but be brave :)
  • Options
    I think I might do that, I might just write things down and show her, I just want to feel better again
  • Options
    Hi Purplesocks :)

Can i just say well done by the way because you obviously want to do something to make yourself better and that takes courage :)

I really do agree with everyone that going to see a GP could be a really wise move. Why not sit and write like a little diary or something that you could give to your gp instead of having to talk about it? I know i find it really hard to talk with my GP and sometimes i've wished that i'd written stuff down and given it to them. I think maybe the one thing that worried me was when you said you'd been cutting down your food. You sound like you were slim enough at the start and i think you need to ask why you've cut down your food and for what reason. Maybe then you could start to try and figure out what's happening.

Good luck and sorry if i've babbled a bit :)